• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My longest drive to ski ever

snoseek

BG I'm not sure if your into mtb but if you do you're in for a real treat...if not consider picking it up. I'm missing the riding out there much more than the skiing personally and while moab is amazing you have some really great stuff locally that rides good 9+ months out of the year.

jimk

Not a mountain biker, ride an old slow hybrid on streets and paved trails, but I have taken a mountain bike and done some beginner rides in Round Valley near Park City. Good and scenic place for neophyte mountain bikers: photos here.

July 2020 view from Round Valley bike trails, Deer Valley left, Park City center, The Canyons right:
15 july RV DV PC pano.jpg
You're looking at 9,300 lift served skiable acres!!!

4aprice

That's a hell of a drive and commitment. The longest drive on my life was from Bryce Canyon to Purgatory Mountain Base with my buddy who lived there.
Purgatory Resort near Durango? From Bryce Canyon NP? Not doubting you but 7 1/2 seems really long. I can make Denver from Cottonwood Heights in just about the same time. We made Arches from CH in just over 3 hours.

I am so looking forward to traveling the "skiing west" when I get out there. Definitely planning a sweep from Brian Head-Elk Meadows (maybe even AZ Snowbowl) through The Purg, Telluride and Wolf Creek at some point.

Smellytele

Purgatory Resort near Durango? From Bryce Canyon NP? Not doubting you but 7 1/2 seems really long. I can make Denver from Cottonwood Heights in just about the same time. We made Arches from CH in just over 3 hours.

I am so looking forward to traveling the "skiing west" when I get out there. Definitely planning a sweep from Brian Head-Elk Meadows (maybe even AZ Snowbowl) through The Purg, Telluride and Wolf Creek at some point.
Wasn’t a fan of purgatory but wolf creek was a lot of fun.

2Planker

Drove a Jeep CJ from south of Cancun (Playa Del Carmen did not exist in the early 90's) to Sugarloaf for Reggaefest

Tonyr

That wasn't part of our plans, but we're slowly starting to realize this. I'm not sure there's a better state to be located for exploring the vastness of the west, as it seems like just about everything's 6 hours or less away. The rest not more than about 10, which is still easily doable as a one-day roadtrip. I'm not sure we'll take a skiing road-trip this year as there's plenty here to become familiar with, but I've never skied places like JH, GT, Sun Valley, Aspen, Steamboat, etc.... It'll keep us busy.

Best of all, in NJ my wife wasn't allowed to take a full-blown vacation during the school year (only 3 days off), but here the schools get more vacation days and are allowed use multiples in a row, making a winter ski vacation possible.
Utah is fantastic and probably were we would relocate too if we move from the east coast. Congrats again.

On another note. While it's not ski related, add Moab to your list of places to visit one day as well. It's about 3.5 hours away from SLC and a really neat place.

BenedictGomez

BG I'm not sure if your into mtb but if you do you're in for a real treat...if not consider picking it up. I'm missing the riding out there much more than the skiing personally and while moab is amazing you have some really great stuff locally that rides good 9+ months out of the year.

Funny you should say that, I'm looking for a mountain bike. Last time I went for a bike ride was last October, and a young girl ran over my bike with her Subaru. It was ancient anyway. I held off buying one early this summer speculating I could probably buy a better used bike in Utah for the same money as a new bike. Not sure if I'm correct in that guess, but I suppose I'll find out soon as I really want to pick something up soon to get out there before the snows come & I'll start shopping around next week. Only time I've ridden out here is back in 2018 we rented bikes and explored Round Valley a bit. I suck, but I suppose I can get better.

BenedictGomez

add Moab to your list of places to visit one day as well. It's about 3.5 hours away from SLC and a really neat place.

I spent 5 days there several years back, did Arches and Canyonlands. I'm very much looking forward to hanging out there for 3 & 4 day weekends.