• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky intel?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Hi guys, I'm off to Big Sky for 3 days next week, December 7-9. I know it's super early but they've gotten a lot open (including the tram!) and they keep getting snow. The Snotel site for Lone Mountain is at 135% of normal and they're supposed to keep getting snow.... based on the forecast their snow water equivalent will probably be what it's normally at in the beginning of January so that's pretty good!

Not interested in apres or anything (we got a smoking deal on a slopeside condo...$190/night with fees/tax)... just skiing!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've done two trips there in the past two years. I like it a lot. Feel free to PM me. For discussion's sake--what terrain do you like to ski? Three days may sound like a lot but it is a HUGE ski area.

It is a relatively easy 4.75 hour drive from SLC in good weather--about the same time as going to Jackson. Basically I-15 to Idaho Falls and then a quick run up US 20 to West Yellowstone before taking US 191 north through Yellowstone National Park to Big Sky. Be prepared for cold, windy conditions on US 20, especially near Island Park. Double and triple check info on US 191 before heading up US 20. It is about 45 minutes from West Yellowstone to Big Sky, but the road is narrow, quite remote, is completely devoid of cell phone and WiFi service, and has a lot of truckers going too fast trying to make a shortcut between I-15 and I-90 east. We were stuck in West Yellowstone because of a bad truck accident that closed US 191 for more than 12 hours overnight. Montana does not do a great job plowing/sanding roads let alone actually informing you of major accidents resulting in road closures. US 191 is the only way north or south in that area. Otherwise it is a long detour around and north almost to Bozeman to come back south.

Big Sky is an interesting place with $10+ million homes, no real town, and dirt roads. It is quite a juxtaposition. Basically it is on the fast-track to Aspen without the Aspen amenities. It was, and remains, a true skier's mountain. Moonlight Basin is awesome. The Tram is a must do even if you pick your way down Liberty Bowl. The lifts are insane. Endless terrain options when everything is open. Boyne has spared no expense with regards to the lifts. The staff are all friendly as is the case with most Boyne areas. The main base area is relatively compact and has a new food hall, a couple bars, and retail stores.

From what I am seeing online, it looks like really Andesite (Ramcharger) and Swift Current are the only major areas really open. Powderseeker is running and that is fun. The Tram is only Liberty Bowl. Moonlight Basin, Shedhorn, and Headwaters are all closed or rather limited. That takes a lot of terrain out. Challenger has some limited options.

There is snow in the forecast--it will be interesting to see what opens next.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

ive been three times. its huge. the top of the tram is pretty unique. its steep and exposed in basically all directions. super disorienting in a whiteout. the big c requires avy gear and a partner. i havent skied it, but have skied off hte other side, like otter slide > lenin/marx, the dictators, etc. im not great with names. the backside areas have some awesome open tree skiing. really fun chutey stuff off either side of the headwaters ridge, and its a pretty easy hike. moonlight basin side is more trail skiing, with some good tree pockets. there are all kinds of hidden easter eggs in the woods. some are quite substantial. like i dont know how you got this fucking bus up here, but good on you. its a really rad place to ski. there's also a bunch of more intermedia lifts out of the base area to lookers left. its fuckin huge.

watch for sharks. its a rock-pile, and early january snow depth is still gonna be snaky in lots of spots

crank

I love the terrain off the Challenger and also Headwaters is tons of fun and good steeps without waiting for the wee tram. But, yes Lone Peak is worth a tram or 2. Tons of fun terrain and trees all over. Have fun exploring but know that it's a big broad mountain so if exploring edge to edge there will be some cat tracking that will chew up some of your time.

It's good you're not interested in night life because there is none.

We've skied 2-weeks there int the last 8 years and totally lucked out powder-wise both times. We are due to go back!

It was actually kind of worth it to take the free mountain tour.

Rocks. For some reason there are little rocks floating in the snow.

If you do go out and like buffalo steaks go to Bucks T 4. About a 15 or 20 minute drive from the base area if I remember correctly.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
From what I am seeing online, it looks like really Andesite (Ramcharger) and Swift Current are the only major areas really open. Powderseeker is running and that is fun. The Tram is only Liberty Bowl. Moonlight Basin, Shedhorn, and Headwaters are all closed or rather limited. That takes a lot of terrain out. Challenger has some limited options.

There is snow in the forecast--it will be interesting to see what opens next.

A report from Pugski says this is due to staffing issues and more lifts should come on-line shortly.

@all... I do love exploring. Any tree areas I could get myself into trouble if I'm not careful? How well-marked are cliffs and such?

NYDB

The only tree area that I got in trouble on was on andesite side by Peru Bolivia and Marlboro country Where I had to traverse out from a cliff band. It was off map so no ropes. Just know where you are goiing there If you are maching through The tight stuff. Otherwise it’s well marked for sure. Faves were terrain off of challenger and headwaters. Lone peak great for sure But only did a few laps when I was there due to lines. Dakota and shedhorn more mellow and open areas Great on low vis days. I was there in feb 20 after a snowy 3 weeks and there were still plenty of rocks to hit. Enjoy.

jimk

For stoke's sake:)
Here are a couple of photos of my son from a snowy visit we made to Big Sky in 2019.

This is Pinnacles, hike-to area mentioned by Kusty and Crank above Headwaters/Challenger lifts:
vince pinnacles big sky 2019.jpeg

The view of Lone Peak from Pinnacles:
alfred photo of lone peak big sky.jpeg

Believe this was in Shedhorn area:
vince shedhorn big sky 2019.jpg
Photos taken by a friend.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

nice pics! big sky rules.

a friend moved there at the beginning of covid. i should prob take advantage of that.

FBGM

Good views, mediocre terrain and for me, the worst lift layout I’ve ever seen.

But it’s big. Won’t get bored.

Zand

I need to get out to this place. Keep planning on it every year but the price of lodging is a huge turnoff unless you want to drive an hour from Bozeman or West Yellowstone every day. Place looks sick though.

If there's a mountain out there that possibly has a worse lift layout than Solitude then I would love to see how that works lol.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I need to get out to this place. Keep planning on it every year but the price of lodging is a huge turnoff unless you want to drive an hour from Bozeman or West Yellowstone every day. Place looks sick though.

If there's a mountain out there that possibly has a worse lift layout than Solitude then I would love to see how that works lol.
Lodging is outrageously expensive.

KustyTheKlown

having done both of those things, i strongly recommend bozeman over west yellowstone. west yellowstone is a creepy ghost town in the winter, there is no food, or people, and you white knuckle drive thru the park with shoddy phone service to get to/from big sky, which was super nerve wracking in snow. the bozeman commute takes as long but isn't so desolate. lots of cars are doing the commute. buses do the commute. its just way more populated. plus things to eat and human beings alive when you are done skiing. on my west yellowstone trip i ended up abandoning my motel and doing an airbnb room in someones house. i was very sick of the drive by day 4. the only reason i did west Yellowstone was because i was audibleing from a bone dry utah scene and was coming from the south/