• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

Zand

Only skied for about 4 hours at Jay today before my legs had enough. Snow was getting a bit dense, plus the steeper stuff was already getting beat to shit anyway. Crowds were high due to Ontario vacation week which brings me to my next point...

Is it against the law in Canada to understand how to properly board a lift? The Bonnie and Flyer stopped at LEAST 5 times each ride, and usually a lot more than that. Chairs going up empty or with one person because people couldn't push up in time. It was absolutely brutal. I'm SORREY if I offended any of our friends to the north, I know Canada has a lot of great skiers, but they definitely do NOT send their finest to Jay Peak. Like...Mt Snow on MLK Saturday with millions of Jerrys probably stops the Bluebird less in a day than the Flyer was stopping every hour.

I lost my patience with the Flyer after like 3 rides because having it stop when you were above the ridge getting blasted by the wind got old fast. At least on the Bonnie there wasn't wind to get stuck in. Jet was a lot less busy and was mostly without issue, plus the best snow was over there so I ended up spending the last two hours on that side.

Glad to have hit yesterday's epic storm and there's still plenty of snow in the mid angle glades if you're heading up. Just be aware stuff like Deliverance, Vertigo, Staircase, etc are already into rock ski territory.

Smellytele

Only skied for about 4 hours at Jay today before my legs had enough. Snow was getting a bit dense, plus the steeper stuff was already getting beat to shit anyway. Crowds were high due to Ontario vacation week which brings me to my next point...

Is it against the law in Canada to understand how to properly board a lift? The Bonnie and Flyer stopped at LEAST 5 times each ride, and usually a lot more than that. Chairs going up empty or with one person because people couldn't push up in time. It was absolutely brutal. I'm SORREY if I offended any of our friends to the north, I know Canada has a lot of great skiers, but they definitely do NOT send their finest to Jay Peak. Like...Mt Snow on MLK Saturday with millions of Jerrys probably stops the Bluebird less in a day than the Flyer was stopping every hour.

I lost my patience with the Flyer after like 3 rides because having it stop when you were above the ridge getting blasted by the wind got old fast. At least on the Bonnie there wasn't wind to get stuck in. Jet was a lot less busy and was mostly without issue, plus the best snow was over there so I ended up spending the last two hours on that side.

Glad to have hit yesterday's epic storm and there's still plenty of snow in the mid angle glades if you're heading up. Just be aware stuff like Deliverance, Vertigo, Staircase, etc are already into rock ski territory.
Are you sure it was from loading? Or was the wind you mentioned the issue?

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
15-16 was the worst ski season in my memory. vividly recall riding lifts over grass deep deep deep into the season

I follow Gore snowfall reporting so I can easily look back and remember what was what.

Gore got 46 total inches of snow that year:

Zand

Are you sure it was from loading? Or was the wind you mentioned the issue?
Wind may have played a small part, but I lost count of the amount of times that I watched people get punted by chairs while loading and end up pitted past the load area.

cdskier

Thanks!

this is very cool to look at previous winters. I was just looking at 2001, that was a monster winter - I remember it very well!

1969,… unfortunately, I didn’t ski that winter 🤪

2000-2001 would have been my first time ever going to VT. My dad took me, my brother, and a couple of my friends to Okemo during my spring break from college. There was quite a bit of snow and I think that was the first time I ever skied in the trees. I was a little spoiled that time as I just assumed VT was always that snowy! Needless to say the same trip the following year was a bit different experience.

djd66

2000-2001 would have been my first time ever going to VT. My dad took me, my brother, and a couple of my friends to Okemo during my spring break from college. There was quite a bit of snow and I think that was the first time I ever skied in the trees. I was a little spoiled that time as I just assumed VT was always that snowy! Needless to say the same trip the following year was a bit different experience.
I remember going to Jay Peak that winter and the snow banks were like 8 feet high. I think they got 600" that winter

MidnightJester

Conditions have turned towards good to great everywhere after the LATE SEASON SNOW STORM (3/10-3/11)(Sun/Mon) that Preformed beyond most expectations. The Northeast and New York and Vermont are back into MID-Season form for a few days at least. Here are some of the open mountains in North America and a tasting of what is considered open terrain with Trail counts this point in the season "week 19+" around North America. These are considered lift serviced trails at some of the open ski mountains on Wednesday 3/13/24. Hike to your delight for more trail fun. Ski and Board the Snow while its good

Thank you "ULLR" and "Mother Nature"

(Week 19+) Wednesday 3/13/24 (open trail counts)

Mount Snow, VT -- 45/86 (10" Storm total)

Stratton, VT -- 85/99 (15" Storm total)

Magic Mountain, VT -- 33/50 (12"-15" Storm total)

Okemo, VT -- 120/129 (16" Storm total)

Killington Resort, VT -- 149/155 (27" Storm total)

Sugarbush, VT -- 111/111 (22" Storm total)

Bolton Valley, VT -- 53/71 (24" Storm total)

Stowe, VT -- 118/127 (21" Storm total)

Smugglers Notch, VT -- 73/78 (21" Storm total)

Jay Peak, VT -- 81/81 (22" Storm total)

--------------------------------------------

Belleayre, NY -- 53/61

Gore Mountain, NY -- 77/110 (22" Storm total)

Hunter Mountain, NY -- 46/66

Windham, NY -- 36/54

Whiteface Mountain, NY -- 65/94 (11" Storm total)

------------------------------------------

Sunday River, ME -- 97/139 (8" Storm total)

Sugarloaf, ME -- 135/170 (10" Storm total)

Saddleback, ME -- 68/68 (15" Storm total)

-------------------------------------------

Wildcat ,NH -- 30/48 (13" Storm total)

Attitash, NH -- 43/76 (20" Storm total)

Loon Mountain, NH -- 47/73 (9" Storm total)

Mount Sunapee, NH -- 49/67 (6" Storm total)

Cannon, NH -- 67/97 (11" Storm total)

Bretton Woods, NH -- 64/98 (16" Storm total)

-----------------------------------------------

Breckenridge, CO -- 187/187 (Fully Open)

Vail, CO -- 277/278

Aspen Snowmass, CO -- 349/366 (4-mountains)

Winter Park Resort, -- CO 168/171

Beaver Creek, CO -- 150/150 (Fully Open)

Keystone Resort, CO -- 140/143

Steamboat, CO -- 181/181 (Fully Open)

Telluride, CO -- 147/147 (Fully Open)

Arapahoe Basin, CO -- 136/145

Loveland, CO -- 93/94

Wolf Creek, CO -- 144/144 (Fully Open)

----------------------------------------

Mammoth Mountain, CA -- 175/175

----------Lake Tahoe CA,NV---------

Kirkwood, CA --78/79

Northstar California, CA --100/100

Palisades Tahoe, CA -- 177/270

Heavenly CA,NV -- 97/114

Mt. Rose - Ski Tahoe, NV -- 66/66

----------------------------------------

Solitude, UT -- 44/87

Park City, UT -- 330/346

Alta, UT -- 106/118

Deer Valley, UT -- 103/103

SnowBasin , UT -- 103/114

SnowBird, UT -- 138/140

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Multiple long and longer range chances at SNOW at higher elevations in the Northeast. Let the Flakes and Cold come between the warmer spring like middles : )~ Long live the SNOW season!! The duration of March will feature some sprint-like days, especially over low lying valley areas. That said, winter 2023-2024 isn't done and the weather pattern for the foreseeable future favors several opportunities for additional snowfall and a few multi-day periods of colder weather capable of keeping temperatures below the freezing mark across the mountains.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Winter weather to linger into first full day of spring in northeastern US. With new waves of colder air triggering more flurries and snow squalls in parts of the Midwest and Northeast through Wednesday/Thursday. Possibly for the weekend too : )​

muchcolder_throughwednesday_031724.jpeg

page_596f7a.jpg

StormyEastFriSat18Mar310p.jpg

Last edited: