• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

no that's dead. I don't know the specifics, it's been discussed on here a lot tho so a little searching will find u something.

I don't think it is accurate to say it is entirely dead. For example it showed additional pods on Mt Ellen that it was discussed here could potentially be future expansion options (like the pod above Inverness). Anything in the Slide Brook area is for sure dead though. And I wouldn't expect any of the proposals in that plan that were in the LP area to be back on the table either as lot of them touch current popular tree skiing areas.

SteezyRob

I don't think it is accurate to say it is entirely dead. For example it showed additional pods on Mt Ellen that it was discussed here could potentially be future expansion options (like the pod above Inverness). Anything in the Slide Brook area is for sure dead though. And I wouldn't expect any of the proposals in that plan that were in the LP area to be back on the table either as lot of them touch current popular tree skiing areas.
you're right I forgot about ME. expansion above inverness would be cool.
btw dawgz, is this cliff hittable? the dot in the middle of the screen below the "G". kinda looks like a waterfall from Google Earth. i've tried skiing off of the long trail past exterminator only to turn around (honestly do not try it).
Screenshot 2024-04-17 11.32.17 PM.png

WinS

btw dawgz, is this cliff hittable? the dot in the middle of the screen below the "G". kinda looks like a waterfall from Google Earth. i've tried skiing off of the long trail past exterminator only to turn around (honestly do not try it).
View attachment 62626
ME does have the greatest opportunity for trail expansion and we did speak about expansion above Inverness. I surmise that this is still a possibility, but everything gets prioritized. I think continuing to expand snowmaking, replacing NR and employee housing would still be the top priorities.

Lotso

ME does have the greatest opportunity for trail expansion and we did speak about expansion above Inverness. I surmise that this is still a possibility, but everything gets prioritized. I think continuing to expand snowmaking, replacing NR and employee housing would still be the top priorities.
Good priorities. Adding another lift pod means finding more workers to run it as well, which I am guessing is hard enough with the current lift count. Fixing the issues at ME that Win mentions is a huge improvement.

cdskier

Agreed. I can't see expansion being even seriously discussed until a lot of other priorities happen first.

drjeff

I think it would be a LONG time, if ever, before they'd develop the terrain above the top of Inverness, especially with all of the investment that GMVS has put into that pod on both Inverness and Brambles to create a really world class training facility for their athletes for the season, that almost functions at times as a private training facility. Not really sure they'd want the possibility of more people, more days of the week, using Inverness to get to that potential pod above theor training facilities on the days that they're either using them for training or hosting a race

HowieT2

View attachment 62626
The trees up there are very thick so you could be in for some serious bushwacking if you go the wrong way. There is a cliff with some challenging skiing thereabouts. Its an adventure for sure.

Hawk

Picked up two dudes coming back from MRG one day last month. They looked beat down. Turns out they set out on the long trail from above exterminator. Dropped in too late and bushwacked all the way down to somewhere below Betsies Barn on 17. Said it took them 3 plus hours to get out. I would say bad call.

Hawk

I think it would be a LONG time, if ever, before they'd develop the terrain above the top of Inverness, especially with all of the investment that GMVS has put into that pod on both Inverness and Brambles to create a really world class training facility for their athletes for the season, that almost functions at times as a private training facility. Not really sure they'd want the possibility of more people, more days of the week, using Inverness to get to that potential pod above theor training facilities on the days that they're either using them for training or hosting a race
I highly doubt GMVS will have any say if Alterra and management deside to proceed. Either way they can work around the race slopes with a trail down to the bottom on the skiers left or something. I realy don't think it is that big a deal.

Newpylong

Yep, Inverness and Brambles can easily be circumvented and not effect GMVS or the weekend programs should they ever expand above the current pod.

I don't see it happening anytime soon. ME has a far undersized snowmaking system as it is.

Lotso

My memory may not be correct, but I recall reading somewhere that the original plan for Glen Ellen had trails on the hill above Fiddlehead, looker's right of Inverness, as well as a lodge by the old Poma that was looker's left of Sunny D/Q. Interesting ideas, both, but not sure if just a Fig Newton of my imagination.

The map of the pod above Inverness showed both a trail meeting up with the top of Inverness as well as a spur that sent skiers off to NR Expressway, the latter would avoid traffic conflict with Inverness.

I tried to find evidence of the old cut a few years back and found none on the ground. Almost impossible to see now from the road due to overgrowth.

tumbler

My memory may not be correct, but I recall reading somewhere that the original plan for Glen Ellen had trails on the hill above Fiddlehead, looker's right of Inverness, as well as a lodge by the old Poma that was looker's left of Sunny D/Q. Interesting ideas, both, but not sure if just a Fig Newton of my imagination.

The map of the pod above Inverness showed both a trail meeting up with the top of Inverness as well as a spur that sent skiers off to NR Expressway, the latter would avoid traffic conflict with Inverness.

I tried to find evidence of the old cut a few years back and found none on the ground. Almost impossible to see now from the road due to overgrowth.
I dont recall the trails above Fiddlehead, there is a big brook to cross to get back to the base area. There was a lodge location behind Sunny Q, it's where all the park stuff is stored now.

slatham

This last one is more accurate and obviously more recent of how the pod would be laid out.

Nice pod too off GMX “summit” down into lower FIS territory.

Real shame how Inverness has become a GMVS dedicated pod. Love racing and racers, but sharing the pod more should occur.