• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface, 4/6/13, April 6th? Coulda fooled me

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied: 4/6/13

Resort or Ski Area: Whiteface

Conditions: Granular,Ice, Corn

Trip Report:
Thought I'd try to burn some of my remaining vouchers. Considered Smuggs, they did get 9" of snow last week. Had trouble getting out of bed this morning, scratched Smuggs, decided on Whiteface/Gore instead. Now the question was, which first? I thought about hitting Gore first since rain was in the forecast for Sunday, thought maybe it could fall as snow at elevation at WF? I figured I'd start with WF, play it by ear with Gore tomorrow.

What an awesome day at the Face! I couldn't believe it was early April. 20° at ten when I arrived, great coverage, bluebird skies. Although I wouldn't go as far as calling it "Iceface", it was a little slick on the upper mountain all day, normal "Winter" conditions. Some nice corn was harvested on the lower mountain in the afternoon, as temps hit 40, and the intense Spring sun went to work. I only wish the forecast were better for tomorrow. We'll see, if it's pouring, I'll probably head for home, if light, I'll hit Gore.

IMG_20130406_121454.jpg

IMG_20130406_160822.jpg

IMG_20130406_124008.jpg

IMG_20130406_160309.jpg

View attachment 8611

IMG_20130406_122659.jpg

Rambo

Wow!! Looks awesome - glad you got to use your raincheck.

(saw the aftermath of that accident on the way home from Greek on Thurs. evening... car flipped on roof, another car with heavy front end damage and I thought - 2 more cars on opposite side/ditch with some damage, also).

deadheadskier

Staff member
damn

looks incredible. I really need to make it to Whiteface and Gore one of these winters. I say that every year.

Cornhead

damn

looks incredible. I really need to make it to Whiteface and Gore one of these winters. I say that every year.

I used to say the same about Sugarloaf, it's just so far away, 9hr drive for me, and there are so many viable options closer. WF and Gore are great mountains, just don't get quite as much snow as VT.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Nice pictures. For those of us who have never been too Whiteface, what's that little track on the left side of the trail in the 4th picture?

skiking4

I haven't been there since before Lookout came in. Lookout Below looks like such a sweet trail!

skiking4

Also, why don't they cut a massive glade section between Cloudspin and the blue trail from the summit? (Paron's?) I always hear complaints about Whiteface's glades and that'd be pretty vast and a nice diamond pitch.

(unless, of course, it's some stash that I don't know about because I haven't skied there in a while...)

Cornhead

Nice pictures. For those of us who have never been too Whiteface, what's that little track on the left side of the trail in the 4th picture?

Not sure what you mean, the trail is Lookout Below, there are no trails next to it. I wussed out and didn't ski it, some huge bumps, they don't show in the pic, it does face South, I'm sure it was nice and soft in the afternoon. I should have given it a shot, probably fairly easy under those conditions.

legalskier

damn

I blocked off some time later in the week to do this, but their websites now are saying they'll be closed til the weekend (which I can't do). Argh- so much for the 'best laid plans'.....
:x