• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore, 4/7/13

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied: 4/7/13

Resort or Ski Area: Gore

Conditions: Sweet Spring Corn

Trip Report:
After finishing my day at Whiteface, I decided to stay at the Comfort Inn in Lake Placid. I asked the guy at the desk if he could give me a room for the same $60 per night that I had negotiated the last time I stayed there. He quoted me a price of $90, too rich for my blood. I went to Micky D's for dinner, and WiFi to find cheaper digs. I ended up at the Northwoods Inn, right on Main Street, an older four story hotel. My room was on the fourth floor overlooking Main Street, and Mirror Lake. The best part of the stay was the King sized Tempur-Pedic mattress.

IMG_20130406_224318.jpg
Main Street LP, right out of 1950.

I had a hard time motivating myself to get moving in the morning, left LP around 8. After stopping for breakfast on the way, I pulled into Gore's lot around 10:30. There weren't as many cars as in WF's lot the day before. Maybe people were scared of the forecast of rain? It was overcast when I awoke in LP, but the sun was out when I arrived at Gore. I redeemed my voucher that someone at Greek had given me, it was from a ski shop in PA, it said, "Expires April", so I wasn't sure it was still good, it was. I boarded the Adirondack Express, then made a warm up run down Sleeping Bear. After that I headed to the High Peaks Double. From there I hit the Straight Brook Quad, Chatiemac, and Hawkeye were in cream cheese glory, both were amazing. I then decided to check out Topridge, that too was great. As the day wore on, ropes dropped, Rumor, Steilhang, Dark Side, and Straight Brook glades were opened. Everything skied great, still lots of snow in the trees.

IMG_20130407_114924.jpg
Looking up Topridge

IMG_20130407_114931.jpg
Looking Down

IMG_20130407_122551.jpg
Looking up Lower Steilhang

IMG_20130407_141219.jpg
Straight Brook Glade

Awesome Spring skiing at Gore, less Wintery than WF the day before, warm temps and great corn snow! The clouds did roll in about an hour after I arrived, but they quickly left, they did return around 3, but they shut things down then claiming they were having power surges, probably caused by the high winds.

Last edited:

legalskier

Awesome- you're really getting the job done lately!

I was hoping to get up there midweek but I see they're shutting down til Friday. Wth.

Cornhead

Awesome- you're really getting the job done lately!

I was hoping to get up there midweek but I see they're shutting down til Friday. Wth.
Sorry they did that to you!:wink: Yep, been really good lately, trying to not let my vouchers go to waste, I plan on skiing for awhile still. Hey, tmcc71 you going to be at Jay for their last weekend? We have a tradition to uphold! The Snowshoe now has sattelite TV, and WiFi! Kmart may be open into June, and I wouldn't mind attending T4T's Slackfest Memorial Day Weekend on Mt. Washington again.