• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 4-11-13

legalskier

Temp on arrival: 38; cloudy all day
Conditions: groomed- corduroy; ungroomed- firm into soft corn

Despite the forecast for mid-day showers I took a chance & played hookie, arriving mid-morning to a sparse Overlook parking lot. Only the upper mountain is open, with Superchief & Tomahawk spinning. Except for the natural snow trails and glades (Esopus, Cathedral Brook), all were open and in fine shape, with very few bare spots. The temp didn’t warm up at all due to the top being shrouded in a cloud until early afternoon, but the snow gradually softened up into some sweet spring skiing. On groomed trails like Deer Run, the edges sunk in nicely for high speed carving. On ungroomed, the bumps were very workable. Belle hasn’t needed to tap into the huge snow reserves mounded at the top of Superchief and bottom of Tomahawk yet, but a few of the large trailside berms have been spread out. Best of all, the (In)Accuweather forecast got it wrong again- it didn’t rain- so my bet paid off. It felt more like the third week of March than the second week of April. Belle will be open til Sunday, but I’m not sure I can make it back- although I’d love to take in the pond skimming contest on Saturday, which was being set up today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

4-11-13 Belle bumps.jpg
Cloud hovering on Belleayre Run, below mid

4-11 Yahoo.jpg
Yahoo- trail of the day. Lift 7 wasn't spinning so no one was on it & conditions were terrific. The whales on Algonquin were a lot of fun too.

4-11-13 Roaring Brook.jpg
Roaring Brook corduroy

4-11-13 upper Seneca.jpg
Upper Seneca

4-11-13 Dot below mid.jpg
Some dirt on Dot but still in fine shape overall. Peekamoose had a large dirt patch at the very top, but sweet below that.

Last edited: