• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Mtn Dec 14-15-16 2013

Cannonball

I've been trying to find the time to get a trip report up. But I blew off so much work and other obligations over the past 3 days of riding and skiing that I'm still catching up. So I'll keep it short with a preview of some video shot.

Saturday 12/14: Cold as a witch's umm...nose. 1 degree in the parking lot and certainly not any warmer on the hill. But the wind never kicked up. It was nice cold snow with remnants of freshies left hanging around from Wednesday.

Sunday 12/15: The day we were all anticipating. Cannon reported 10-12" but realistically it was 8-ish. Met Puckit in line well before the lift opened. A small beaming crowd of locals turned into an ugly mob when they couldn't get the lift fired up on time. I don't even feel like talking about. Eventually they got it going ~1/2 hour late. Whatever, First World Problems. The riding was superb for mid-Dec. Nice fresh lines turned into nice pow bumps. The only bummer of the day was a rough fall by Puckit that he hopefully rebounds from quickly. I saw a lot of similar edge-catching falls all over the hill that day and I bet there are some seriously sore knees around. I was happy to be on a board.

Monday 12/16: Switched over to skis because I knew if I was out with Prophet0426 we would be travelling far and wide. And I was right. There was hardly anyone there at all. Even on the sanctioned lines we were often the only ones to be seen. But as we traveled farther afield it was almost lonely. Getting away from the snowmaking guns we found that the base was mostly made up of leaves and rocks. But the unadulterated 10" of all-natural on top of it made the scrapes and scratches to P-tex and edges well worth it.

Some moving pictures to tell the rest of the story:

The mileage looked something like this x3...

2013_12_15_17.50.32.jpg