• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Double Eject

Cheese

There was a comment made about earning the moniker "Double Eject" in the AlpineZone Summit registration thread. I was going to mention that myself and a ski buddy might be competing for that crown but decided it would be better to keep such off topic posts free of that thread. So, let's hear the "funny" stories where skiers weren't seriously hurt.

The feather in my cap is a double eject into a full flip that I landed standing up in my boots. This was underneath the lift and I received the compliment, "You WERE looking good."

My friend has a double eject belly flop wherein he got enough air from the belly flop to complete a full flip and land on his butt. Compounding his was that he rushed to steal my powder and then performed the afore mentioned double eject. Proud moments in a ski career right there ...

legalskier

I have had my share but wouldn't call them funny. Now here's funny-

2knees

I've had 3 memorable ones.

Coming out of twilight zone at magic, Greg was in front of me going his usual 2 mph so i veered off to the right into the gully that's always there, immediately stuck my tips into the wall and came out like a human missile. Classic lawn dart maneuver with my head buried upon landing. JimG and Roark saw that one.

Last year hit the little ledge at the top of redline at magic. snow on landing was a dense chalk like substance and again flew out. landed on my back that time, a 270 degree flip. no comment from the red chair though.

scary one at killington a few years ago. skiing thimble real early after a dump on no base. went off one of the small boulders there but the landing was a bomb hole. did a complete flip on that landing. i was checking for body parts when i got up.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've lost my skis a few times , lsat year was really bad, but a big part of that was just my bindings being too old / improperly adjusted and I would step out of them on any sizeable bump. Forget moguls, I would lose my skis 3x in a row on the way down. But no headfirst ejection, like legalskier posted ... at least not that I can recall.

I did do it on a bike once though when I hit a shrubbery and the bike stayed in place while I went flying full-on endo.

makimono

I did a backwards double eject 2 weeks ago at Magic...fortunately for me nobody had a camera rolling :spin:

On the mono sometimes snow gets built up on the shovel and I do a bunny hop and tap the tail to throw the snow off, I guess I did it a little too hard and both upward release toes on my 997's let go..both feet shot straight up in the air and landed flat on my back. :dunce:

wa-loaf

Didn't eject, but I pole planted between my legs a couple years ago coming out of the start gate in racing. Basically landed on my face and slid down to the first flag.

2knees

Didn't eject, but I pole planted between my legs a couple years ago coming out of the start gate in racing. Basically landed on my face and slid down to the first flag.

my balls just retracted into my stomach....

Cheese

I've got a guy on my team that did the same thing. Luckily only the next 2 racers in the start gate are in a position to witness a plant/skate miscalculation. You probably got away with it.

Another team member straddled a gate last year and this year I caught a gate with a knee and my face. Goggles saved my teeth but my cheek was swollen for the better part of a week. I still have paint from the pole burned into the knee of my pants. Glad I wasn't wearing a suit that day.

..both feet shot straight up in the air and landed flat on my back. :dunce:

I more frequently pull that one on the deck/patio heading into the lodge.

SkiFanE

Good one last year - so happy over all fresh snow, took more air than normal knowing it'd be a soft landing - double ejected on landing right under SR Spruce Chair - full face-o...such an awesome day myself and chair lift riders all had a good laugh lol.

Had a shocking one flying down a connecting type trail...cold day, cold snow...with a leaking snowmaking pipe that created a little stream - skis stopped dead on it and I flew..no injury but a "wtf just happened to me?" moment.

mister moose

Serious powder day, still had numerous waterbars and hidden ice bumps. I had already had 2 double ejects from mashing the gas pedal down. I was enjoying a slice of untracked when that stuff-a-tip-into-something-unyielding feeling overtook me. Click, click, then... quiet. Just a gentle whooshing sound of wind in my ears. "NOT EFFING AGAIN!", I had time to blurt out while airborne. WHUMP.

maineskier69

If I had a dollar for every dramatic double eject I have had, I would be able to become the ski bum of my dreams.
I have plenty of witnesses to support my theory, just damn lucky I haven't been seriously injured during any of them (knocking on wood) and some have provided much humor to my fellow skier/rider friends.

frapcap

Had a fun one on Liftline during spring skiing at Stratton last year. I was coming up and over a small cliff but wasn't going to take a jump. However, while carving down it, I spotted a 3ft hole right at the bottom with fresh water flowing through it. I jumped into the air as well as I could in an attempt to clear it but still burried the tips into the wall and went flying. A mix of claps and "are you okays" were heard from the lift overhead.

While I was catching my breath a little girl was about to come over the same spot when I yelled for her to stop. Thankfully she did and her father was appreciative after seeing my skis still stick in the hole.

SkiFanE

If I had a dollar for every dramatic double eject I have had, I would be able to become the ski bum of my dreams.
I have plenty of witnesses to support my theory, just damn lucky I haven't been seriously injured during any of them (knocking on wood) and some have provided much humor to my fellow skier/rider friends.

Yes...much humor, after the snow cloud clears and we see your head is still attached :)

jrmagic

I've had 3 memorable ones.

Coming out of twilight zone at magic, Greg was in front of me going his usual 2 mph so i veered off to the right into the gully that's always there, immediately stuck my tips into the wall and came out like a human missile. Classic lawn dart maneuver with my head buried upon landing. JimG and Roark saw that one.

LMAO How did that not make it into the AZ bloopers video?

As for me, my best one was 25+ years ago at Holiday Valley. I was skiing some very icy bumps whihc probably shoudl ahve been clsoed and got thrown in the back seat, accelerating very quickly over the next 2 bumps as my tails dug in and then when I tried to recover I caught an edge in the trough and got launched like superman and then hit the ground HARD with one of my skis nailing me in the head. I continued sliding another couple of hundred yards down the iceberg. I had a cartoon style bump on my head but skied the rest of the evening.

bigbog

..........a double eject into a full flip that I landed standing up in my boots....
My friend has a double eject belly flop wherein he got enough air from the belly flop to complete a full flip and land on his butt....

Got me beaten....~4seasons ago...after burying some 8000s in a ~12" dip of a crust-on-top/crud-throughout patch along the side of Chicken Pitch one day on Tote Road(Sugarloaf)...double eject, smooth head-first slide..nice form, arms out in front in dry powder(which thankfully quickly followed the crud patch) = ~10' slide, but can't match the gainers you guys pulled off.
Have since learned to get em' on edge a little more through the dense stuff...

Probably the most humorous ditch I took was more like one of 2knees...~5-6seasons ago at bottom of the beginner lift, the other side of the trees from South Ridge(SR) lift. Non-aligned, then not very efficient at scarving off speed.(not very efficient at anything;-)).early season, icy late afternoon, came down the little pitch towards liftline...got tripped up...caught edge and and caught air = mini-HermanMaier missile..double ejection with a clean shoulder-plant at the bottom...yards from the liftline.. Nothing broken except ego..with a bad sprain...LOL.. Never forget that...got right up and stepped in line at the back..LOL.

*darent....That Barker Brook event must've been hilarious...seems to happen to good skiers...but at least they keep things from falling out of control. Since it's part of the brook y/n?...would like to see it re-vamped from its bottom soil layers on up and then plant some trout in...would make for a fun springtime event...see who could hand-capture one.

Last edited: