• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Echoes From An Old Ski Injury

TropicTundR

Ok..I had bumped my knee into a orange flag post going down the mountain awhile ago. It was one of those "it doesn't hurt when I rotate it" injuries.

Now when I sit to put my socks on and rotate my knee and leg I feel a minute numb pain beneath my kneecap. Any ideas what it could be?, it happened about a month and a half ago.

A worn, torn, and/or bruised meniscus?

Cornhead

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on the internet. Doesn't seem like smacking your knee on a pole would cause any tearing of any of the internals to me. Take two asprin and call me in the morning.

snoseek

:cool:Sounds like a good enough reason for a mmj script to me

Warp Daddy

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on the internet. Doesn't seem like smacking your knee on a pole would cause any tearing of any of the internals to me. Take two asprin and call me in the morning.

da interwebz r awesome 4 medikal advise
:D:D
i think ur experiencing Morning Sickness

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
How bad was the hit?

A long time ago (in high school) my wife did track and field, when she did the high jump she whacked her shin into the bar and ever since then she has had pain in her shin at this one particular point. She even had surgery for it once. For the most part th epain is now gone but apparently it was caused by that one good whack.

snowmonster

I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...Under the kneecap pain could mean a sprained MCL, an ACL or a meniscus. Is the kneecap floating around? I had a sprained meniscus once and it hurt like hell.

Seriously, go to a doctor. A real one.

jlboyell

no advice, but my knee hurts most of the time. i just figured it was from doing things im not supposed to... we cant be meant to fly down a mountain on snow

Cornhead

How bad was the hit?

A long time ago (in high school) my wife did track and field, when she did the high jump she whacked her shin into the bar and ever since then she has had pain in her shin at this one particular point. She even had surgery for it once. For the most part th epain is now gone but apparently it was caused by that one good whack.

While in Junior High, we were lifting weights on a Universal Gym. I was at the leg press station, I asked the kid on the opposite side of the apparatus to put the pin in on whatever weight I requested. He thought it would be funny to put the pin in on the lighest setting, twenty pounds or so. When I was expecting two hundred, and got twenty instead, the arm the foot plates is attached to flew away from my feet, I didn't analize what was going on quickly enough to pull my now fully extended legs back before the arm swung back. The metal edges of both foot plates slammed into my shins, scrapping the skin off for about eight inches. The entire class was aghast, I got up, grabbed the kid who had intentionally put the pin in the wrong slot by the throat and slammed him against the wall. I thought about pummeling him, but the look of terror as his eyes popped nearly out of his head was enough for me. I'm sure the rest of the class was sure I was going to kill him. I still have "dents" in both shins, 30+ years later. I'm lucky it didn't break both legs, so was he.

my poor knees

You didn't mention your age, seems every injury I get now takes 3X longer to heal, maybe you just need more time. Speaking of knees, I notice mine are starting to click lately when I rotate, I think at 51 they're starting to show sign of years of mogul abuse. Getting old sucks.

HowieT2

if the impact was to knee cap and the pain is directly underneath, you may have damaged the cartilage underneath, a condition known as chondromalacia. not much to do for it, except anti inflammatories. diagnose with mri and doctor can give you a shot of cortisone.