• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll: Should the NYC Marathon go on as scheduled?

Should the NYC Marathon go on as scheduled?

• Yes, it shows the city is resilient and brings attention to the recovery effort.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No, taking police and EMTs away from the recovery is irresponsible.

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters

dmc

I don't think it's a good idea...
I have way too many friends without electricity and some without homes...
A couple posters from AZ that I'm friends with got destroyed...

Resources should be used to get things up and running...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can't decide. Part of me feels that if the marathon generates millions for local charities in need right now, that that would be a good thing. The other part of me feels that the police, FD and medical personnel are probably needed elsewhere at this time.

I guess I'd need to know the exact number of personnel being taken away from the recovery efforts to have a true opinion. I think people going crazy on Facebook over the use of a couple of generators that were probably leased long ago is a bit over the top.

JimG.

Staff member
Cancel or postpone it.

There are organized groups both online and blogging to organize violence against the runners. While that makes about as much sense as getting angry at the electric repair guy trying to restore power, this is going to be ugly if it goes off.

I am ashamed at how some people react in times of crisis.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

No it should not go on, it needs to be cancelled. To much work to do in the city. Cops need to be on streets patrolling.neighborhoods, not doing security. And just to much damage that has to be fixed first.

Last edited:

noski

After T.S. Irene in 8/11, the Green Mountain Stage (bicycle) Race went on as planned the following weekend. It was not a decision made lightly. I think the MRV/Irene situation was not of the magnitude of the NYC/Sandy damage and destruction. We supported the Stage Race to be held, the Mad River Valley needed the money and cancelling all the multi-room-night stays would have compounded our problem. It also gave the Tourism Dept of Vt a hook saying VT was open for Foliage business, as the damage was extreme in a small portion of the state, not the whole state. I think, however, in the case of NYC, the magnitude of damage and loss of life makes it a misguided decision to go on as planned.

dansherpa

For all of you voting "No", I assume you think the Steelers vs. Giants game should be cancelled for all the same reasons, not to mention Broadway shows, etc?

I love the fact that ABC News this morning was reporting on the generators the marathon is using in Central Park not being repurposed on the needy - all while doing it with a live remote shoot using a truck or two full of equipment and generators that also weren't being repurposed on the needy.

dmc

For all of you voting "No", I assume you think the Steelers vs. Giants game should be cancelled for all the same reasons, not to mention Broadway shows, etc?

Not even remotely comparable...

Broadway is up and running on it's own... There's no need for people to be pulled out of the crew to open the Schubert Theater.
And Metlife Stadium has it's own crew to deal with stuff...

JimG.

Staff member

I love the fact that ABC News this morning was reporting on the generators the marathon is using in Central Park not being repurposed on the needy - all while doing it with a live remote shoot using a truck or two full of equipment and generators that also weren't being repurposed on the needy.

While I agree with dmc that the marathon is not even remotely comparable to a football game or theater, I agree with your comment about the news trucks using generator power to report that generators used in the marathon should be repurposed to help the needy. Bunch of unapologetic hypocrits!

dmc

While I agree with dmc that the marathon is not even remotely comparable to a football game or theater, I agree with your comment about the news trucks using generator power to report that generators used in the marathon should be repurposed to help the needy. Bunch of unapologetic hypocrits!

News trucks dont have to repurpose their generators... It's their choice..

Our public service people and the resources we pay for as citizens should be used in relief...

dansherpa

Your money is not paying for the marathon generators. They are paid for by the race sponsors and runner entry fees. As are the police and EMT details that line the course.

Are you saying that public service people are not used to pull off a football game with 60,000 spectators? Of course they are. Police and EMT's are all used and paid for by MetLife.

dmc

Are you saying that public service people are not used to pull off a football game with 60,000 spectators? Of course they are. Police and EMT's are all used and paid for by MetLife.

Our money pays for the them... They are our resource as a society.. so yeah - maybe the NFL game should be cancelled...

There will be police at the game sure... But the game doesn't span all five boroughs of NYC...

JimG.

Staff member
Your money is not paying for the marathon generators. They are paid for by the race sponsors and runner entry fees. As are the police and EMT details that line the course.

Yeah, but a football game happens in a stadium, not along a 26 mile path through all 5 boroughs. There is no way it takes anywhere near as many police and EMT's to secure a football game as it does to secure 5 boroughs.
That said, I would not be a bit disturbed if the game was postponed too.
And I would feel for the runners who came to compete. My middle son plays soccer for Arlington and the section 1 playoffs are a mess. They may not be able to complete them and there may not be a section 1 representative in the state tournament. Arlington is ranked #2 in the state and favored to win section 1. What's worse, Brentwood LI, the #1 team in the state, has not even been able to start their sectional playoffs and they may not have a rep at states either. So the #1 and #2 teams in the state may not be able to play in the state tournament.
What can you do? My son is upset at the prospect, but he is a junior and has another year to play. How about the seniors who have had a kick ass year and who may not be able to compete for the state title? It's a hard lesson to learn when sacrifices have to be made for the benefit of others.

So yes, I feel very strongly for those runners.

JimG.

Staff member
News trucks dont have to repurpose their generators... It's their choice..

Our public service people and the resources we pay for as citizens should be used in relief...

But don't you find it somewhat hypocritical that they use those generators to report that others aren't repurposing theirs?

Warp Daddy

I have a 96 yr old Aunt in Stuyesant Town complex t hat has b even without heat ,power , water for now 5 days with little or no hope of getting the STEAM heat line operational by CON ED for perhaps another WEEK or two . This is just one example of hundreds of thousands who are hurting and WITHOUT any interventionsYET by the City , State ! FEMA or anyone . The situation is DIRE , people are DYING and the damn Marathon is taking vital security and support resources away from tax paying New Yorkers in dire circumstances .

Several in our family have run the marathon in th peas t and LOVE it BUT where in hell are the priorities ??????? people,are hurting,aNd there is absolutely ZERO excuse to run this event . Post pone it and take care of people

dmc

But don't you find it somewhat hypocritical that they use those generators to report that others aren't repurposing theirs?

Doesn't really matter what i think.. It's not my generator... :)
If I had a generator and didn't need it - I'd lend it to someone down south..