• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll: Should the NYC Marathon go on as scheduled?

Should the NYC Marathon go on as scheduled?

• Yes, it shows the city is resilient and brings attention to the recovery effort.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No, taking police and EMTs away from the recovery is irresponsible.

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think it depends where/how those emergency personnel are needed. If citizens still need help and personnel would be taken off rescue efforts, then it is not appropriate. Traffic has been a concern and the marathon would not have helped. I think if 100% proceeds were going to recovery efforts, it could be something to get behind. But even though they said that a portion would be donated, I imagine a lot of people would be making a lot of money and being supported by first responders needed else where.

wtcobb

I heard the race organizer was personally donating $1M - hopefully that donation is still on the table despite the race being cancelled.

JimG.

Staff member
I think it depends where/how those emergency personnel are needed. If citizens still need help and personnel would be taken off rescue efforts, then it is not appropriate. Traffic has been a concern and the marathon would not have helped. I think if 100% proceeds were going to recovery efforts, it could be something to get behind. But even though they said that a portion would be donated, I imagine a lot of people would be making a lot of money and being supported by first responders needed else where.

Nobody has gas...there are near riots at gas stations that have gas.

I live near Poughkeepsie and today I saw lines at every gas station near my house. People were in an uproar. Near chaos in places. I'm sure it is even worse closer to Manhattan if there is any gas left there. Looting in Staten Island.

A little scary...those police could be used to supervise in that capacity right there.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Is it going to be rescheduled, or just not happening this year at all? I think it's OK either way, i mean tourism is good but i'm not sure how bad things still are down there.

JimG.

Staff member
Agreed. If tensions are running high, and especially if there is looting, the police have more important places to be.

Especially since they are in Staten Island for the start and that's one of the hardest hit areas. So them being there to run a marathon while people right there are suffering is just not appropriate.

ScottySkis

Is it going to be rescheduled, or just not happening this year at all? I think it's OK either way, i mean tourism is good but i'm not sure how bad things still are down there.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

No subways, overloaded buses, all week without power, people in NYc area are really suffering I'm not even posting pictures of our job loss because as bad as it is, there so much worse out there.

Edd

Especially since they are in Staten Island for the start and that's one of the hardest hit areas. So them being there to run a marathon while people right there are suffering is just not appropriate.

Yeah that was going to be a bad visual. Friday morning it looked like the event was a go and I couldn't imagine how starting the marathon in Staten Island was going to fly. I don't think they had a choice.

Trekchick

I have a 96 yr old Aunt in Stuyesant Town complex t hat has b even without heat ,power , water for now 5 days with little or no hope of getting the STEAM heat line operational by CON ED for perhaps another WEEK or two . This is just one example of hundreds of thousands who are hurting and WITHOUT any interventionsYET by the City , State ! FEMA or anyone . The situation is DIRE , people are DYING and the damn Marathon is taking vital security and support resources away from tax paying New Yorkers in dire circumstances .

Several in our family have run the marathon in th peas t and LOVE it BUT where in hell are the priorities ??????? people,are hurting,aNd there is absolutely ZERO excuse to run this event . Post pone it and take care of people

It has now BEEN CANCELLED
Vibes to your people Warp!

Okay, now let's cancel that football game.
There was a time in this debate that I agreed with you but then.......
Here's the story:
I have a friend who flew to NYC for the Marathon.
She posted this pic just minutes before the notice of cancellation was announced.
150571_10151234137069630_1766628516_n.jpg

I was really bummed for her because she's a single mom who works hard as a nurse and took time off work, got sitter for her son and used all her extra $$ to do this.
I thought the same way you do Dansherpa, but then she posted that she was bummed for the cancellation of the Marathon, but she and her friends were going to Sieze the Day!
They've been going to restaurants, have gone to a broadway show, and even visited/helped out yesterday with the hurricane cleanup.
She has an amazing understanding of why it needed to be cancelled, and she is someone who was really put out by the untimely cancellation.

Your comparison of ball games and broadway shows doesn't wash.

I do, however believe that repurposing of generators from unnecessary stuff, like remote TV broadcasting, is a very good idea.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Rant

We have whiners in our town complaining about being out of power for 3 days and thats not "good enough". Get a grip guys. Get a life. Get down there and help.

Then they whine because the power company cuts down trees on their right of way.

:angry::angry:

Stupid is as stupid does

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nobody has gas...there are near riots at gas stations that have gas.

This is a really naive question, but here goes. Fuel in the tanks. No electric. How about a generator to run the pumps? Use gas from the tanks. I know, you need a special kind of generator. Even just one pump running could help.

Cash only. Wait. No electric. No ATM. No cash. Wait. No electric, no charge card connection. Huh?

〽❄❅

- Thankfully Some People Get IT!
http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2012/11/04/ny-marathon-canceled-tell-that-to-the-runners -
"Thousands of runners poured into New York City's Central Park on Sunday morning to do what they had prepared so long to do — put in 26.2 miles."

"
Hundreds of other runners, wearing their marathon shirts and backpacks full of supplies, took the ferry to hard-hit Staten Island and ran to hard-hit neighborhoods to help."

"
Shortly after dawn, groups of runners started gathering on the edges of Central Park to warm up, take photos and drop off clothing and other items for storm victims."

"
Many runners were finding a way to volunteer for storm victims. On the steps of a statue just outside the park at Columbus Circle, a newly created grassroots group called Run4All was collecting donations in cardboard boxes."

"
Staten Island resident Jonscott Turco gave instructions. "The devastation and damage you are about to wander into ... " He paused, almost teary. "It's pretty extraordinary. The only thing I can prepare you for is they're still finding people, remains."

"For runner Hana Abdo, the whole scene was striking. When she found out the marathon had been cancelled, "I was almost in tears because I've been training for two years," she said."But what is two years of my life to somebody's whole life?"

JimG.

Staff member
Good for them, and your friend Trekchick...you get lemons, make lemonade.

Such a shame it often takes a catastrophe to have the real good in people come out.

Trekchick

I'm glad you posted that link.
My friend posted this:
Ok, so I didn't run 26.2 this morning, but I did have an AMAZING NYC marathon run! We started off by meeting up to donate items for those affected by the hurricane, and then ran over to Central Park where we were joined by literally THOUSANDS of NYC marathon runners. It was incredible. The weather was absolutely perfect, and I could not stop smiling. The heart of the runners who were out there, the generosity of the New Yorkers who came out and manned impromptu aid stations in the park, and the fantastic atmosphere just filled my heart to overflowing. Truly one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had, marathon or not. Thank you, New York.

〽❄❅;732946 said:
- Thankfully Some People Get IT!
http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2012/11/04/ny-marathon-canceled-tell-that-to-the-runners -
"Thousands of runners poured into New York City's Central Park on Sunday morning to do what they had prepared so long to do — put in 26.2 miles."

"
Hundreds of other runners, wearing their marathon shirts and backpacks full of supplies, took the ferry to hard-hit Staten Island and ran to hard-hit neighborhoods to help."

"
Shortly after dawn, groups of runners started gathering on the edges of Central Park to warm up, take photos and drop off clothing and other items for storm victims."

"
Many runners were finding a way to volunteer for storm victims. On the steps of a statue just outside the park at Columbus Circle, a newly created grassroots group called Run4All was collecting donations in cardboard boxes."

"
Staten Island resident Jonscott Turco gave instructions. "The devastation and damage you are about to wander into ... " He paused, almost teary. "It's pretty extraordinary. The only thing I can prepare you for is they're still finding people, remains."

"For runner Hana Abdo, the whole scene was striking. When she found out the marathon had been cancelled, "I was almost in tears because I've been training for two years," she said."But what is two years of my life to somebody's whole life?"

Cornhead

Warp, I sent you a PM, but it's not showing up in my sent folder. My Sister lives in Stuy Town too. All of her services have been restored. She said that some people may still be without heat if they live in the units that were actually flooded, near the East River, avenue C. Have you been able to contact your Aunt? The management, with the help of volunteers, has been doing door to door checks of all residents. They have been bringing food to those who can't leave their apartments. Hope your Aunt is well.

Kudos to the would be race participants for chipping in and making the best of a raw deal for them.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Kudos to the would be race participants for chipping in and making the best of a raw deal for them.

That's class. They were in town already. Let's hope it made a difference and the packs were BIG!

The runners weren't the villains in this one. Probably did more good than the donation the NY marathon committee's bucks.