• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Roxbury best Sat. today well epic comes to mind.

ScottySkis

View attachment 8138
Scotty on Freefall early in the morn

Totally awesome day today, great drive to the hill, awesome first tracks, bluebird, comfortable temps, great snow, great company, and another awesome meal at Brook's. Looking forward another great day tomorrow.

I love this trail,on the hill it looks steeper then this picture.

skiking4

I love this trail,on the hill it looks steeper then this picture.

Eh nah that's pretty in line. It's not really that steep, probably a steep black steepness, but it's totally consistent for like a thousand vertical.

BenedictGomez

Eh nah that's pretty in line. It's not really that steep, probably a steep black steepness, but it's totally consistent for like a thousand vertical.

Nope. Both Blockbuster and Freefall are > 30 degrees, which IINM would be double-black just about anywhere.

hippiechick

Nope. Both Blockbuster and Freefall are > 30 degrees, which IINM would be double-black just about anywhere.

30 degrees would put you in a solid blue. I recently wondered about the classifications, so I looked it up, and every site I read would put a blue to at least 40 degrees. Also depends on trail width, and other obstacles, etc. that would make it more (or less) difficult. BB and freefall are both wide open runs, so it's less challenging.

I'm not an expert skier by any means, but the ratings at Platty don't seem near what they're supposed to be. I had a blast there, but I didn't find anything really steep there at all. I would put all of their trails at no more than a blue. Not trying to be a buzzkill or a snob, just an observation.

IMHO.

ScottySkis

30 degrees would put you in a solid blue. I recently wondered about the classifications, so I looked it up, and every site I read would put a blue to at least 40 degrees. Also depends on trail width, and other obstacles, etc. that would make it more (or less) difficult. BB and freefall are both wide open runs, so it's less challenging.

I'm not an expert skier by any means, but the ratings at Platty don't seem near what they're supposed to be. I had a blast there, but I didn't find anything really steep there at all. I would put all of their trails at no more than a blue. Not trying to be a buzzkill or a snob, just an observation.

That is the east coast, their is steeper at other hills, one that you happen to live close to.

IMHO.

wiki sez:

Typically, grading is done by the resort, and grades are relative to other trails within that resort. As such, they are not classified to an independent standard; although they are likely to be roughly similar, skiers should be cautious about assuming that grades in two different resorts are absolutely equivalent.

based on that logic, block and freefall are the 'most difficult' trails at platty, only relative to their other trails, not trails at other resorts

hippiechick

This is kinda what I was talking about. Was just disagreeing with the statement of those two runs being comparable to other blacks/doubles at other resorts.

BenedictGomez

Dunno what/where you're reading, but that's definitely false.

When you get into the 40s+, you're getting into the steepest trails in all of North America, east, west, north, south, Narnia, I dont care where. Hell, the steepest part of Corbet's Couloir in Jackson Hole, is just barely 50 degrees[FONT=arial,], and I believe it's the steepest on-map run in all of North America.[/FONT]

hippiechick

http://www.trails.com/list_802_ski-run-difficulty-ratings.html

Here's one. I hate to quote Wiki as well, but it says basically the same. All I was arguing was your statement saying that Platty double black compare to other ski hills' doubles. They don't. I'm not an advanced skier, and on a good day, I'm ok on the average black. I was bombing down these when I went, so that alone tells me they're not steep.

That's my point.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

Here's one. I hate to quote Wiki as well, but it says basically the same. All I was arguing was your statement saying that Platty double black compare to other ski hills' doubles. They don't. I'm not an advanced skier, and on a good day, I'm ok on the average black. I was bombing down these when I went, so that alone tells me they're not steep.

That's my point.

Those numbers are not correct. Perhaps they are gradients and not degrees.

http://3dskimaps.com/

abc

30 degrees would put you in a solid blue. I recently wondered about the classifications, so I looked it up, and every site I read would put a blue to at least 40 degrees.
IMHO.
hippiechick, you're in error here. The page you quoted was talking about percentage grade. Translate percentage grade to degree, you can roughly devide it by 2. So 40 percentage grade is only about 20 degrees.

So blues are anything less than 20 degrees, give and take. Anything approching 30 degree (60~70 percentage grade) will be black. 40 DEGREE is definitely double black. (an easy one to remember, 100% is 45 degrees, that's when the height is equal to the horizontal distance)

Last edited:

ScottySkis

That's my point.
I can ski in sick drops at Alta and have with fresh fresh snow, I can't ski those drops on non fresh powder day. Maybe that helped you to.

hippiechick

hippiechick, you're in error here. The page you quoted was talking about percentage grade. Translate percentage grade to degree, you can roughly devide it by 2. So 40 percentage grade is only about 20 degrees.

So blues are anything less than 20 degrees, give and take. Anything approching 30 degree (60~70 percentage grade) will be black. 40 DEGREE is definitely double black. (an easy one to remember, 100% is 45 degrees, that's when the height is equal to the horizontal distance)

I stand corrected, as previously discussed, I know little about the rating/grading systems, that's why I went looking it up. My main point still stands, that I was disagreeing with the fact that BG was saying the Platty doubles were like those of other hills. No way. If you took those runs and plopped them on most any other hill in the US, they would be rated a blue. That's my point. I was wrong for using numbers to back my point up, I wasn't familiar enough with the rating system.

ScottySkis

Well I have skiied their 2 black runs a lot hippychick and I think Blockbuster and Bumps with moguls they usually have on them are worthy of double diamond status.

hippiechick

Well I have skiied their 2 black runs a lot hippychick and I think Blockbuster and Bumps with moguls they usually have on them are worthy of double diamond status.

Ok, with moguls they would be more challenging. They were a hot mess of deep powder when I went, so it was like floating down the whole time.