• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Injury Roster 2013/2014 Ski Season

hammer

Have to start this at some point I guess...

Hit the roads too hard in preparation for and after a race and I have a stress fracture in the fibula near my right ankle. Will get specifics later this week but I'm guessing I will be told to keep off of it for several weeks. More bothered about the break from running since I built up to decent mileage (for me) over several months. Should not really affect ski season since I normally don't get out much early on, just need to heed advice.

Grrr...

deadheadskier

Staff member
That sucks hammer.

If there's any consolation, at least the Fibula is a non-weight bearing bone, which should allow it to heal pretty quickly if you take it easy. Had it been your Tibia, the recovery time would be MUCH longer with far more life inconveniences.

get well soon

steamboat1

Broke my right fibula last year. Doctor said I would've probably been able to ski in a few weeks. Ski boots give a lot of support. Problem was I blew out my ACL also. Still not sure how this season will go. Working out & bracing up & hoping for the best.

Good Luck to you.

hammer

Broke my right fibula last year. Doctor said I would've probably been able to ski in a few weeks. Ski boots give a lot of support. Problem was I blew out my ACL also. Still not sure how this season will go. Working out & bracing up & hoping for the best.

Good Luck to you.
Knee issues are more significant...hope it works out for you.

Riverskier

Torn ACL and severely sprained foot in late July. The knee feels great, and the foot is still a bit sore, but almost better. Cleared by my orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist to ski with a brace. I will see how it goes, not ruling out surgery in the future, but for now I am ready to go for opening day. Hopefully in the next week or two!

steamboat1

currently dealing with meniscal tear, debating the surgery to clean it up.

From what I've heard that's relatively minor surgery with a short healing time. The surgery Riverskier & I would need to repair our ACL's is much more complicated. Right now might not be the time to get yours scraped because of the beginning of the ski season but I wouldn't hesitate to get it done in the future.

drjeff

Have to start this at some point I guess...

Hit the roads too hard in preparation for and after a race and I have a stress fracture in the fibula near my right ankle. Will get specifics later this week but I'm guessing I will be told to keep off of it for several weeks. More bothered about the break from running since I built up to decent mileage (for me) over several months. Should not really affect ski season since I normally don't get out much early on, just need to heed advice.

Grrr...

I had something similar happen about a dozen years ago because of the exact same thing (too many miles too quickly on the pavement).

Took about 6 weeks of mainly avoiding heavy impact stress leg exercise and all was fine and dandy. Looking back on it, it was more of a frustrating injury (having to give up the running that I was enjoying so much at the time) than a problematic injury. The key though is just to listen to what the Docs tell you about how long they want you "off" it and what they want you to do when it's time to start doing some more loading bearing activity on it. Even though it will likely be feeling pretty good in 2 to 3 weeks or so, DON'T rush it since bone usually takes a good 6 weeks for it to fully heal

wa-loaf

I had the big joint on my big toe replaced back in the spring. It's not going to interfere with skiing, but it is making it difficult to get into skiing shape.

wa-loaf

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1382452350.635458.jpg

Had a bunch of bone spurs and somehow managed to smash the end of the bone.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
well last year at the loaf I got a black toe from toe bang in my boot.

I finally clipped off the last black piece last weekend. Hooray!

drjeff

My almost 10yr old daughter refers to that as 6 month toenail polish ;)

wa-loaf

Thankfully I've never gotten black toe.

snowmonster

One way I got black toe is when the snow is deep enough to bury your forefoot. If you wear Langes like me, you know that there's a seam on the top part of the boot where snow can get in. Snow gets in your boot, melts on your socks then, if its cold enough, re-freezes. Ski at low temps long enough and you get frost bitten toes. Your toe becomes white but after it thaws it will gradually turn black and you lose a toenail by around August. I've had this happen several times. Lesson here: put duct tape on the seam of your boot.

wa-loaf

that's pretty wild. They remove the sesamoid bones there when they replaced the joint? Hard to tell from that angle.

Not really a joint replacement, just cut the end of the bone off and screwed in an implant.