• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shame list, I bailed on a ski day because...

2Planker

Thing is Bullet Proof. No prob lifting Chevy Silverado, Audi A8 & Q5

Jcb890

Honestly, if I got a flat or busted my rim on the way I'm not going back and swapping over the wheels/tires and then driving up to ride. Maybe if it's a powder day, but probably still not. That sucks.

I do have a good example where I (kind of) persevered. It happened yesterday.
We have a 2-1/4 hr drive up to Mt. Snow from our house and 10 minutes from the mountain I realize I forgot to pack my boots. FML. Debated turning around, but decided to still go anyways and rent a pair.

They didn't want to rent me a pair because they only can rent packages. I said I wasn't going to rent a package I just needed boots, had to talk to guest services, etc. and waste 10 mins.

Long story short... the rental Burton boots are hot garbage. Maybe if you're a 100 lbs park rat that doesn't tie their boots when they ride they're okay. But after a few runs of the liners moving all around inside of the boots, I was done. So, technically I persevered in that I still went and got some runs in and didn't turn right around... but it wasn't exactly great.

abc

Honestly, if I got a flat or busted my rim on the way I'm not going back and swapping over the wheels/tires and then driving up to ride. Maybe if it's a powder day, but probably still not. That sucks.
I was only 2 block from home. So turning around took less than 5 minutes.

You nailed the sentiment though. I already pulled the skis out, put away my stuff, then it occurred to me I had them winters sitting right there in my garage!

The inertia already took over. I was out of the ski mood. Was already thinking of all the chores I should do (in actuality, only did about 1/2 of them. Browse AZ and webcams the other half of the time). So just couldn't get motivated to swap the wheel.

It's also kind of cloudy and cold. Not very inviting day to be outside.

We have a 2-1/4 hr drive up to Mt. Snow from our house and 10 minutes from the mountain I realize I forgot to pack my boots.
I always worry about that. So double and triple check that I didn't forget my boots. Skis, on the other hand, are big and obvious. So it's hard to forget to bring them... so I thought!

One warm spring day, I drove to stay in my buddy's place half way to Hunter. Then realized I didn't have my skis!!!

Called around for rental. They all still want a good $40 for a day. I wasn't going to ski all day as it was forecast to be quite warm. $40 for a few hours just didn't seem to be very appealing.

Hunter on marginal days often didn't work out, not for me anyway.

kingslug

I always go through all my stuff now as its 5 hours up and buying new stuff that I already have..sux..but then again I now have many pairs of gloves and even pants due to this.

Dickc

I was only 2 block from home. So turning around took less than 5 minutes.

I always worry about that. So double and triple check that I didn't forget my boots. Skis, on the other hand, are big and obvious. So it's hard to forget to bring them... so I thought!

One warm spring day, I drove to stay in my buddy's place half way to Hunter. Then realized I didn't have my skis!!!

Called around for rental. They all still want a good $40 for a day. I wasn't going to ski all day as it was forecast to be quite warm. $40 for a few hours just didn't seem to be very appealing.

Hunter on marginal days often didn't work out, not for me anyway.

I've managed to forget my skis once, Sunapee, and they did rent me a pair and let me use my boots. On another occasion forgot my parka on a cold day as I don't wear it driving. I was startled, but pleased to find Killington rented parkas!

BenedictGomez

not having a decent floor jack with which to make quick work of wheel swapping

Yup. Once you use one of these you'll never got back to crap jacks & wonder why you didnt buy one sooner. Yours for about $80 to $120 depending up on the brand/model.

images

if your going to change tires/wheels a good floor jack is needed. I bought a Quick Jack but that a 1200.00 deal.

Now that's a bit ridiculous for the average Joe, I'm guessing you work on cars as a hobby? But if you're that serious, why not spend $3,000 for a drive-on lift. I met a guy who has two in-ground lifts in his home garage, IIRC he told me they were $8,000 each. Seems crazy, but fixing cars is essentially his 12 month a year hobby.