• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Injury Roster 2013/2014 Ski Season

Cannonball

I'm still healthy (knock wood) but my dog just ended up with a partial ACL tear. That mean 6 weeks on the DL for her. Which means significantly less exercise and adventure for me since she's the ski and hiking partner that makes me go even when I'm content to be lazy.

Pic taken about 10 min before she went down....

IMG_20131224_155618.jpg

JDMRoma

Bummer…wishing her a speedy recovery….sucks when your partner in crime is on the DL

Last edited:

Puck it

I'm still healthy (knock wood) but my dog just ended up with a partial ACL tear. That mean 6 weeks on the DL for her. Which means significantly less exercise and adventure for me since she's the ski and hiking partner that makes me go even when I'm content to be lazy.

Pic taken about 10 min before she went down....

View attachment 9978

at at least I will have a pub partner if I can not ski on my knee this weekend.

CoolMike

Injury: Whiplash.

Anyone ever get this from a hard backwards tumble? Last run of the day on Monday and I don't know what happened. I must have been on my toe side. I know I was navigating some crazy moguls with 'ultra hard pack' (AKA ice) between the bumps. All of the sudden I was on my ass.

My head hit the ice and must have bounced up and back down.

Thank god for helmets.

I wonder how long it will last?

Edit to add: After collecting my thoughts I was able to ride down safely (and not without having some fun on the way) but I'm glad it was the last run when it happened. Woke up pretty sore.

NotEasyBeingGreen

Puck it - i'd love to hear how that new brace works out. I'll be in the market for whatever brace works best for lateral stability, no matter the price, at some point. I hope.

steamboat1

Puck it - i'd love to hear how that new brace works out. I'll be in the market for whatever brace works best for lateral stability, no matter the price, at some point. I hope.

I've skied 8 days with my knee brace & have been happy with it so far. It's comfortable, light weight & doesn't bother me at all while skiing. The brace I have is a Bledsoe Z-13. The brace Puck It showed seems nice to. There are many different brands of braces out there but the Bledsoe was the one my doctor recommended to me. I completely tore my ACL & other assorted damage last year & didn't have surgery so I've been skiing with no ACL. I've even done some bump skiing & everything went well so far. I wish you luck.

z13acl.jpg

NotEasyBeingGreen

Wow, Steamboat - I'd certainly like to get away with no surgery. So glad you've found something that lets you get back at it! I'll put the Bledsoe on the research list. It certainly looks stable.

I guess the best bet is to hear whatever the doc has to say and suggest. Had a small meniscus tear before, but this major damage stuff is new territory. Sitting on the couch sucks.

steamboat1

Wow, Steamboat - I'd certainly like to get away with no surgery. So glad you've found something that lets you get back at it! I'll put the Bledsoe on the research list. It certainly looks stable.

I guess the best bet is to hear whatever the doc has to say and suggest. Had a small meniscus tear before, but this major damage stuff is new territory. Sitting on the couch sucks.
Might depend on your age what the doctor recommends. My doctor thought at my age (57) surgery wouldn't be necessary. It's not like I'm going to be running up & down basketball courts or football fields anytime soon. I also know the doctor & have skied with him. Him knowing that I'm a fairly proficient skier played a part in his recommendation also. If you are younger & still actively involved in more stressful sports your doctor might recommend otherwise. I'd listen to what he tells you. Us older guys don't heal as fast.

I spent quite of bit of time on the couch myself after my injury but I don't think it was because of the knee. Didn't really feel the knee injury to much until after my broken ankle healed. That hurt like hell.

Last edited:

dlague

I've skied 8 days with my knee brace & have been happy with it so far. It's comfortable, light weight & doesn't bother me at all while skiing. The brace I have is a Bledsoe Z-13. The brace Puck It showed seems nice to. There are many different brands of braces out there but the Bledsoe was the one my doctor recommended to me. I completely tore my ACL & other assorted damage last year & didn't have surgery so I've been skiing with no ACL. I've even done some bump skiing & everything went well so far. I wish you luck.

View attachment 10060

I have the same one except this one looks like it should have one more band across the top of the knee which mine does!

Savemeasammy

I hate to post in this thread...! I twisted my knee on Saturday night. This was a low speed thing I did while trying to get up while falling. I think my ski got caught up in the heavy, chopped-up powder that collected in the troughs of the bumps. The doc thinks I did something to a ligament that attaches part of my quad to my knee (rather than an mcl which was my fear). Hopefully I'm not out of commission for more than a few weeks - and it looks like I chose the best possible time to get injured... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moresnow

I got some pretty serious frostbite on my toe while running on Saturday. I'm on the DL until this heals enough to shove into a boot. Have a follow up appointment later this week. Hopefully it's not too bad and will heal quickly.

Cornhead

Sore tendon, or meniscus, on my "good" knee. Pain is directly over the knee cap. I'm hoping it's just tendinitis, sucker's been getting a workout this year. The twenty pounds I've let accumulate around my midsection doesn't help, I'm sure. If I rest it, I think it'll get better, easier said than done at this time of year. I'll rest it as much as I can, see the doc if that doesn't work. Feels weird having pain in this knee after struggling off and on with the other for the last twenty years, torn ACL.

hammer

Have to start this at some point I guess...

Hit the roads too hard in preparation for and after a race and I have a stress fracture in the fibula near my right ankle. Will get specifics later this week but I'm guessing I will be told to keep off of it for several weeks. More bothered about the break from running since I built up to decent mileage (for me) over several months. Should not really affect ski season since I normally don't get out much early on, just need to heed advice.

Grrr...

Took longer than I hoped for (may have tried running a few weeks too early) but got out skiing for first day of the season yesterday. Leg feels fine today.

Savemeasammy

Sore tendon, or meniscus, on my "good" knee. Pain is directly over the knee cap. I'm hoping it's just tendinitis, sucker's been getting a workout this year. The twenty pounds I've let accumulate around my midsection doesn't help, I'm sure. If I rest it, I think it'll get better, easier said than done at this time of year. I'll rest it as much as I can, see the doc if that doesn't work. Feels weird having pain in this knee after struggling off and on with the other for the last twenty years, torn ACL.

See the doc! I went this morning, and she theorized something different than what I thought. She wants me to use and exercise my knee gently. I'm ALREADY noticing a difference for the better. I had been trying to use it as little as possible... Your issue is different, but the moral is that the doc may have a way to speed the recovery process! On the bright side, you chose a good time to get placed on the IR ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin

Went to a walk in this morning after my leg has been much more painful the past two days and I have not been able to sleep. Was concerned more about a clot than anything else since I was able to ski on it the last four days. I got a "Good Lord that looks horrible" from the staff. No fracture just a big bruise, ice, asprin and Vicodin. Looking forward to next weekend. Just thankful it wasn't a knee or head injury.
bruise.jpg

Edd

Whoa, Tin. You posted in a different thread about this right? How exactly did that happen?

Tin

This is a few days after and it was in my trail report. Was at Smuggs and found an awesome creek bed about 4' wide that had a ton of snow in it that had blown off a main area. Looked super clean and clear. Made it a ways down and made a turn on what looked to be an edge of a drift but it was a log coming into the bed at a slight angle with a thin coating. Just slammed my leg into the side of it and ejected. Took the.next day off skied the following four. It was an awesome little run though. I'm a lucky sob.