• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Columbia's Omni Heat

thetrailboss

Staff member
Do you have it? Tried it? Love it or hate it? Does it work?

http://www.columbia.com/Omni-Heat-Reflective/Technology_Omni-Heat_Reflective,default,pg.html

Picture_1.png

columbia-omni-heat.jpg

I have a hat with it and now a casual jacket with it. I found that the hat is definitely warmer, but bulkier than other hats I have. The jacket is this one that I got at the outlet for casual wear: http://www.columbia.com/Men’s-Thermarator™-II-Jacket/WM6348,default,pd.html

I say casual wear because it, too, is a bit bulky for hiking and outdoors stuff. I love it though. It too is warmer.

I think that the major benefit is that it won't matt down like fleece after time and, assuming that the Omni Heat layer does not delaminate or fall apart, I think it would insulate longer than a regular fleece jacket.

Interested to hear what other folks think.

wa-loaf

It seems bulkier would equal warmer ... if it really worked well wouldn't they be able to make the jackets thinner?

Sky

HAHAHA...Mordor? Yer killin me. My new (potential) avatar is similarly themed. I should send you the email I sent to my kids with that pic. I laugh at it everytime I see it.

CoolMike

I have an omni-heat jacket. I really like it.

Its very warm. The thermal blanket is likely 2 parts marketing gimmick and 1 part functionality but its a very nice and comfortable jacket.

NotEasyBeingGreen

Have had a jacket for a couple of years now and never get cold in it. Wear it with just a thin thermal and a midlayer. It's extremely light and so much easier to maneuver in. I prefer it to my Rossi and daughter's Obermeyer (both of which were twice the price.) I just found some of the tights at TJs and ran in them this weekend. They are equally light and warm and I'll use them skiing too.

Great marketing, but I think the product lives up to it in this case. Check TJMaxx - they carry a lot of the stuff.

dlague

Well I just got my first base layer top and wore it to a football game and it seemed warmer than a traditional turtle neck for sure! My sister said her family bought almost everything Omni heat last year and they love it!

mightaswell

I have a light omni heat jacket and it doesn't keep me any warmer. I think it's completely a marketing gimmick.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I think the key is that the Omni Heat works best directly against the skin. The dots reflect heat, and if there's a layer between the dots and your skin, not as much would get reflected. That would make it really effective as a base layer (my experience), but probably more marketing gimmick for outerwear.

dlague

I think the key is that the Omni Heat works best directly against the skin. The dots reflect heat, and if there's a layer between the dots and your skin, not as much would get reflected. That would make it really effective as a base layer (my experience), but probably more marketing gimmick for outerwear.

They make jackets with omni heat which I can't imagine is intended to be worn against skin.

thetrailboss

Staff member

I find that to be an interesting concept because conventional layers trap air that is warmed but this, instead, reflects the energy. So loss of loft is not really an issue. Fleece can pack out as we know and down can lose loft. So this might be an option to allowing layers to remain effective for longer.

mightaswell

It should also be known that wind or even a breeze goes right through my jacket. I wear it only on mild days that require a bit more than no jacket at all. Anything worse, it's useless.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
It's the same concept as these, so the tech behind it is real.

I really think it comes down to the fact that it reflects body heat, which has to be next to skin to be effective.