• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 1-12-14

legalskier

Conditions: ice, frozen hardpack, groomed
Temp on arrival: 33F; departure: 29F
The weather forecast raised my hopes that the sun would soften things up for some spring like skiing after the rain yesterday, but the sun never came out and the cold temp dropped further during the day.
On arrival I found out that the Superchief was closed...
s chief.jpg
No idea why. So I hiked up to 7 lift, took a ride, and saw...
ice.jpg
Hmmm, reminds me of skiing back in the 60s- before grooming was invented. The trails off 7 were extremely hard and fast. As I gradually made my way over to the west side, I hit the brakes to avoid a sink hole on Algonquin...
s hole.jpg
But my efforts were rewarded when I got to Dot Nebel, which had the best snow on the mountain...
dot.jpg
So I lapped Dot and Seneca for the rest of the afternoon. Haven't skied that fast in quite a while- what a rush!
Obviously, the nasty rain wiped out a lot of coverage from last week- 49 trails shrank to 32. But the good news is that they expect to turn on the snowguns for most of the week, to add to the decent-if hard-base on many trails. I'm sure things will be in better shape by next weekend.