• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Drone view of ski resort

SIKSKIER

You may also need to invest into stabilizer mount, which is optional:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/974188-REG/dji_zegoprogmbl_zenmuse_gopro_gimbal.html

Saw many reviews that without this, video will be way too shaky to be usable.

▶ DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Comparison - CarbonCore Hexacopter - YouTube (not the same copter but you get the idea)
Have watched tons of video with and without a stabilizer which is called a gimbel.You do get some jello effect but not as much as I thought with the DJI Phantom.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't see why anyone makes a delineation between a quadcopter or an RC helicopter. It's like "Drone" is this new category of craft. It's a different type of heli is all. It's remote control. Any laws applying to remote control anything should apply to quadcopters automatically.

"Drone" makes it sound like ti's autonomous and not piloted at all.

bobbutts

I don't see why anyone makes a delineation between a quadcopter or an RC helicopter. It's like "Drone" is this new category of craft. It's a different type of heli is all. It's remote control. Any laws applying to remote control anything should apply to quadcopters automatically.

"Drone" makes it sound like ti's autonomous and not piloted at all.

The dji and blade will both return to home on autopilot, the kickstarter one I linked in the 1st post can autopilot through waypoints or follow me mode. I don't really know the formal distinction, but I believe the ability to fly without input I think makes them drones technically.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
The dji and blade will both return to home on autopilot, the kickstarter one I linked in the 1st post can autopilot through waypoints or follow me mode. I don't really know the formal distinction, but I believe the ability to fly without input I think makes them drones technically.

That's just a safety mechanism though right? Although yeah, follow me mode would be pretty cool and probably easily achieved with a smartphone app connected to it so it can communicate your location to the drone.

Soldiers in the future with drone-follow support?

dartmouth01

I've been messing around with aerial photography a bit, and last year I made a 30 second aerial video for an internal competition while I was working at Heavenly in S. Lake Tahoe as an epic mix photog. The theme was "why your workplace is awesome" or something like that. http://youtu.be/StfmLGDvalI (hopefully the link works, I was flagged for music infringement, and haven't had a chance to fix it, since the timing was specifically set to Muse's Hysteria).

Aerial filming is the hoots, but you have to be careful. I'm no expert, but here's some of my observations so far:

1) You can get up in the air with a camera for relatively cheap (sub 500), but if you want perfect video, it will cost you time and money. Vibration is a bitch to get rid of at the camera, and requires a lot of attention, from a dampening system, frame rates and resolution (lower res usually helps get rid of jello effect at the sake of clarity), balanced props, etc. Its nearly impossible to find a perfect package in an inexpensive form, without having to tinker a bunch yourself. And its not fun to watch the video move back and forth, so you'll end up wanting to add a gimbal system to stabilize the camera, which is more $$. I started with a homebuilt kind of like the DJI Phantom, moved to a new frame that puts the camera further out, built my own gimbal, and now am adding a bought gimbal. Unfortunately my current system is a bit maxed out with all this extra weight now, so I will have to move up to a more powerful battery system. Basically, its a $$ sink to chase the "perfect" shot. And with all these upgrades/tinkering, I haven't flown as much as I should to justify the expense. And this is just with a Gopro3B. Things get crazy if you want to carry larger cameras.
2) If you crash (and it definitely happens, no matter how careful you are), you are out $$ and time. Even though the autopilot systems really help with flying, it won't avoid obstacles (unless its set up with proximity sensors) and mechanical failures. Props can break mid flight, motors can die, etc. I don't have a lot of extra cash lying around, so i have found myself being a little gun-shy about flying the way I want to and getting the really cool shots, especially over water shots.
3) If you hit somebody or something, you will do some damage. I've seen videos of people suffering from pretty bad cuts and even losing fingers from coming in contact with spinning props. The props spin with a lot of energy, which makes sense when you're trying to lift a 4 lb package up in the air. So you don't want to fly in populated areas where you can put bystanders in harms way.
4)Its magical to watch three (or more) rotors work in unison to fly in the air every which way. Even more magical is to watch it hover in place even when the winds are blowing. The most magical moment (and nerve wracking) is to turn off the transmitter in order to test the failsafe, and watching the multicopter fly back towards the spot it took off from and softly land…….

If anyone is interested in learning about multicopters, check out rcgroups.com. Theres a forum for that, along with aerial photography. It'll be overwhelming at first, but after a while you'll start to recognize the terminology and names, etc…...

McCutie36

How about a drone that can carry me to the top of the mountain to skip lift lines. I would pay good money for that...

gmcunni

drone used to view Sugarbush condo fire
1939939_10152003100283002_2020129965_n.jpg

planb420

They use drones for all of the free skiing video. I was watching the x games from Aspen today and was wondering what the whirring sound was. Pretty cool but uneasy at the same time.

I work for ESPN and can confirm this is untrue....the camera used is a "Spyder Cam" system...which is a camera mounted to a cable track and then operated by 1-2 people depending on the complexity of the rig. :thumbup: