• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

machski

I'm pretty sure Les knows where he needs to be in terms of high end building on this project. He has not been a stranger to SR since the demise of ASC and he knows that more luxurious accommodations could have been beneficial here. Given the distance, The Balsams had to hit the right notes to attract patrons past all the other resorts.

Another point to consider here. Assume Balsams cranks up and wants to put in 4 or 5 new lifts next summer. Any other resorts wanting new lifts for 2016-2017 better get their orders in stat!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
4-5 lifts typically translates to 20-30 trails with it. No way that happens in one summer.

2 tops might happen and I'm sure the speed of ski development will be dictated by the speed of real estate sales.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Very true. I believe Okemo did 3 one year back in the day. Northeast triple, blackridge triple and one of the base quads.

In both those cases the trail network was already in place.

That's why I say the idea of 4-5 new lifts in a place like the Balsams is unreasonable

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Construction pushed back till "later in fall" http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=294

Also of interest
Dixville Capital, LLC, led by developer Les Otten, applied for the permit with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services on December 17, 2014. The Water Quality Certification was granted on July 28, 2015, allowing for withdrawal related to fire suppression, as well as seasonal withdrawal for snowmaking between October 15 and March 15.

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=296
So in case anyone thought we would see Otten-esque snowmaking practices (ie, October 1st opening) that isn't happening. A real shame with the bitter climate up there.

mbedle

I would think that they have some onsite water source that could be used early season if they even plan on doing something prior to October 15th.

dlague

So in case anyone thought we would see Otten-esque snowmaking practices (ie, October 1st opening) that isn't happening. A real shame with the bitter climate up there.

October 1st while it is possible to blow snow on a trail if there is a cold stretch does not make sense. I know it has been done in NE a few times but staying open is impossible even up there. I am not a big fan of trails that are open too early. While I will ski them if they are most of these trails develop an ice base due to thaws and rain that get scrapped of easy.

machski

4-5 lifts typically translates to 20-30 trails with it. No way that happens in one summer.

2 tops might happen and I'm sure the speed of ski development will be dictated by the speed of real estate sales.

Ever heard of Sochi? I think Les also did a huge install in one season at The Canyons (well, west side of Park City now) and only some of that terrain was already cut.

ss20

I'm not sure I'd draw a parallel between Northern NH and Putinland. ;)

Yeah... in Russia all that Putin has to do is point a finger and it will be there. In New England once a ski resort leader brings an expansion plan to the table there's a 5-10 year waiting period lol. Looking at you Killington-Pico Interconnect, West Bowl (Jay), South Peak (Loon, proposed since the 80s), and Green peak (Waterville).

ss20

I am just hoping he is not allowed to design the trail and lift systems.

Yeah. I've been lurking in the Sugarbush thread, and apparently he wanted to widen Castlerock and put in a HSQ :puke:

Was the great slaughtering of the Canyon at Killington during his reign? I know the "western bowl style" Oz pod at Sunday River was a failure... epically.

Newpylong

Everything he has touched has been controversial from a design perspective. Lift choices, locations, trail layouts.

Jully

I was under the impression that Otten is the "they" of your project. He's obviously pulled in a team, but I thought this was his brainchild / method of a comeback.

Could very well be wrong though.