• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

djd66

It’s all about where you actually perform the work and where you live. If you perform the work (for a MA company) and you do your job from NH and live in NH - you will not pay 1 penny in income tax to the state of MA.

1dog

Serious question, how much of the savings in income tax gets eaten up by New Hamphires property taxes, which are second highest in the nation and almost double the Massachusetts rate ? https://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/property-tax-by-state

I resent NH freeloaders (excuse me, free-staters) for their parasitic policy of “tax exporting” (collecting tax revenues from residents of other states), eg the Meals and Rentals Tax which makes up 11% of NH tax revenues, placing liquor stores near state borders, tolling the turnpike, etc
Thats really only part of the story. Main thrust of taxation per $1000 is actual property value - in MA - they use aggressive, market-based, similar-sale/comp properties to assess. NH in general ( exclude waterfront and some 'view tax' properties) has lower value to adhere tax rates too. I'll take $20 per thousand over $15 per thousand if my property is valued at $800K for 3000 s/f as opposed to $450K in NH for same. That's $12K MA compared to $9K NH.

The most attractive is the super-small government - they offer one almost nothing, and cost close to that.

2nd largest legislative body in the world- US Congress is 1st I believe) and they get paid. . . . . . $100 a year, work part time, so when they vote to tax - its a tax they too have to saddle, as they all have regular jobs - am amazing concept. Low to no benefits, great reason to let others run. . . . .

The bleed is us M-holes moving there and voting for more stuff, higher taxes, and more 'services', like they fled t he cost of in MA. . . . . . people, sometimes, just suck.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

It’s all about where you actually perform the work and where you live. If you perform the work (for a MA company) and you do your job from NH and live in NH - you will not pay 1 penny in income tax to the state of MA.
I work for a MA based Co as a full time remote employee and own homes in MA and NH. We were thinking of selling the MA house and moving to NH full time. My Accountant said that if we did we would still pay MA income taxes. The exception is if you have to be in NH physically to attend meetings etc. I hope she and my research are wrong but this is what I found online:

"Some states follow the “convenience of the employer” rule, which requires a worker to pay income taxes where their employer’s office is located because the employee works remotely for convenience’s sake rather than necessity. These states are Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New York, and Pennsylvania."

thebigo

I work for a MA based Co as a full time remote employee and own homes in MA and NH. We were thinking of selling the MA house and moving to NH full time. My Accountant said that if we did we would still pay MA income taxes. The exception is if you have to be in NH physically to attend meetings etc. I hope she and my research are wrong but this is what I found online:

"Some states follow the “convenience of the employer” rule, which requires a worker to pay income taxes where their employer’s office is located because the employee works remotely for convenience’s sake rather than necessity. These states are Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New York, and Pennsylvania."
You were given bad advice, time to find a new accountant.

You only pay income tax the days you are physically in Massachusetts.

Send an email to payroll at your employer.

Last edited:

djd66

I definitely would talk with another accountant. I own a company. We are headquartered in MA. We have a satellite office in NH with NH residents as employees. They do not pay ANY Massachusetts Income taxes.

BodeMiller1

This has been settled for a long time. Nice to see it all being signed off on. I disagree with a poster who said Les couldn't afford it on his own. He could butt he knows the area needs jobs and he can get the powers that be to guarantee loans get tax breaks, etc.

Puck it

Thats really only part of the story. Main thrust of taxation per $1000 is actual property value - in MA - they use aggressive, market-based, similar-sale/comp properties to assess. NH in general ( exclude waterfront and some 'view tax' properties) has lower value to adhere tax rates too. I'll take $20 per thousand over $15 per thousand if my property is valued at $800K for 3000 s/f as opposed to $450K in NH for same. That's $12K MA compared to $9K NH.

The most attractive is the super-small government - they offer one almost nothing, and cost close to that.

2nd largest legislative body in the world- US Congress is 1st I believe) and they get paid. . . . . . $100 a year, work part time, so when they vote to tax - its a tax they too have to saddle, as they all have regular jobs - am amazing concept. Low to no benefits, great reason to let others run. . . . .

The bleed is us M-holes moving there and voting for more stuff, higher taxes, and more 'services', like they fled t he cost of in MA. . . . . . people, sometimes, just suck.
My property was higher in MA for than in NH and NH is bigger And with a view. The difference was about $3K.

2Planker

800sq ft Boston. condo approx 50% more in property tax than 4,000sq ft home on 2.3Ac in MWV

• Wow
Reactions: Edd

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Did anyone see this?

Sounds like they want to wait for rates and inflation to come down. That's what I would do. It can happen. 9% non callable bonds were mentioned in a Feb article. Those are harsh terms.

machski

I hope they are involved in talks with either Doppelmyer or Leitner-Poma. With the Deer Valley-Mayflower buildout, all the Boyne lift projects likely to keep building upon, Powdr doing a few and who knws what Vail will push out moving forward and Alterra aside DV (a bunch is planned at Mammoth and Winter Park and SB will get some ove soon too), the order lists for the next several years are filling up fast. If they need to install 4-6 lifts to start the new expanded resort, they need to order soon I would think or get shut out.

BodeMiller1

Never bet against Les Otten. Getting the permits and something from the state are his concerns (guessing). It's funny he's coming to conquer New Hampshire. He took his talents to Maine and brought Sunday River to the state of the art. Glad to see him working his magic in N.H. It will be fun watching the place get built out.