• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Duke61

I don’t eat in the lodge ever. Maybe a slice of pizza leaving sugarbush to the south bc I know I won’t encounter food til rutland. It still boils my blood when I see people camped out at lodge tables. Especially when mom of racers is posted up with a tablecloth and a crock pot plugged in. The worst.
The behavior you describe is offensive. Here at Cannon I was very against the Mittersill expansion .... I was WRONG it solved the problem you detail, the elitist ski racer families moved over to Mittersill and took their crock pots with them.
I know the racing families have a lot invested, it's a long drive from MA or RI to their ski house. But other than taking over Tramway or Rocket when conditions are poor they have their own elitist space today and stay out of our way, finally off Gary's. The era of the home grown skier is over......I mentioned Hank Dane in another thread, guy was a beast...world cup material......very few home grown skiers today.

cdskier

Mom with tablecloth and crockpot is a big mount Ellen vibe. The racer kids and their families act like they own the place

Doesn't GMVS have their own building? I always see it filled with the racer families whenever I happen to ride the Inverness lift. I never really noticed this in the ME base lodge itself, but I also don't use it too frequently so I can't say you're wrong about it happening. But yes, I also hate that mentality of people that think they own the place and take over and spread out. That I'm completely fine with ski areas putting a stop to in the lodges.

Bumpsis

When skiing at western resorts, how do people deal with their stuff if they arrive by bus? So, no "car is your lodge".
My recent last two trips out west were in Banff (Sunshine, Lake Louise, Norquay) and just about everyone who stayed in Banff's hotels would take a bus to the ski areas. Just about everyone had ski bags. All 3 places had bag storage places (shelves. cubicles).
My future plans for western skiing most probably will revolve around the ability to do it without a rental car. So, I can't use the lodge to leave my stuff while I'm skiing?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I'm not saying you should buy lodge food but you shouldn't bitch about not being allowed to brown bag in the lodge area that is essentially a restaurant. Do you guys brown bag to regular restaurants? That is what I'm saying.

If Cannon or anywhere else has a part of the lodge that is not in the food and beverage area then have at it. But if I'm visiting somewhere and I decide to buy lunch and I can't find a seat because a bunch of people are brown bagging it that sucks just as bad as someone who's camping out all day in the lodge not even skiing.

Frankly I never spend any money at the lodges, I usually tailgate.
That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Do you go to restaurants to ski?

KustyTheKlown

Doesn't GMVS have their own building? I always see it filled with the racer families whenever I happen to ride the Inverness lift. I never really noticed this in the ME base lodge itself, but I also don't use it too frequently so I can't say you're wrong about it happening. But yes, I also hate that mentality of people that think they own the place and take over and spread out. That I'm completely fine with ski areas putting a stop to in the lodges.

They have a building. I dunno if it has food service. My crockpot anecdote is specific to ME Base Lodge. Seen twice at least.

snoseek

A bit OT but I am pleased to see the number of national skier visits grow, I am concerned that only well off folks have that opportunity. Costs remain a problem, a couple years ago picking up my pass I watched dad shell out about 3k for passes and that doesn't include his denali/ski house/ equipment for the kids every year.
Skiing wasn't always elitist, one of the benefits of growing up in the North country is you were sure to learn to ski. All the schools would send kids a day a week every winter. I won't tell Bode's story for him but he is a product of that. Bode's mom worked in the ticket office and Cannon was his daycare. We used his name in vain many times, at 6 or 7 years old he broke every rule and came back the next day for more. Mickey kept an eye on him, as he did on all of us (for those who remember)
We may know each other. I know I spent many runs as a kid following mickey and marge or even paul trying to copy their turns. I was absent for many years though. You would probably know my dad. Cannon roots run deep.

Anyone remember dungaree pete? Now I'm on a nostalgia kick as well

KustyTheKlown

also the most likely people on the mountain to be completely obnoxious to you, unprovoked, and most likely while they are on a lift and you are not, are unaccompanied racer children. for some reason they feel the need to yell at everyone who passes by. even if they are just screaming HELLO at the top of their lungs to try and distract. racer kids, who will never in a million years race at a professional or even collegiate level, who are shuttled to the mountain in mummy's range rover every single weekend at great expense. even worse, mummy sends them to stratton mountain school etc to be a boarding student pursuing the ludicrous dream of ski racer.

KustyTheKlown

crockpot issues aside, kids from sms, kms, bma(and the like) do make the Olympic team, and world cup no? its a long shot but it does happen I think. alpine and xc.

to my (admittedly limited) knowledge, burke mountain academy is a real ski academy for serious skiers and they do produce world class racers.

and OMS, SMS, KMS, etc. are ski country clubs for children from connecticut

drjeff

to my (admittedly limited) knowledge, burke mountain academy is a real ski academy for serious skiers and they do produce world class racers.

As an FYI, a recent GMVS alum, Paula Moltzen, just finished 2nd to fomer Burke Mtn Academy student Mikaela Shiffrin (who later moved onto ski club vail) in a Women's WC slalom last week.

OMS, SMS, GMVS, KMS have a long history of producing athletes who make national teams (and not just the US National team) in alpine, fresstyle, nordic and snowboarding, as well as go onto make up the rosters in a significant number of most of the D1 college skiing programs out there,

The fulltime academies, which are different than the weekend programs are far from just "country clubs for children from Connecticut"

Last edited:

cdskier

Based on the info on Team USA's website, SMS has 1 person currently on the US Olympic team for Alpine Skiing. GMVS has a couple. BMA has a couple. So it isn't just BMA in the east...

That said...it still doesn't give the parents any rights to take over lodges with crock pots...

drjeff

There should be special room or lodge for that purpose. I believe many areas have those.
Often there are crock pots in various base lodges that have race programs on days when the athletes are at away races.

Certainly some race parents do set up camp and take over tables in base lodges for hours on end, however this isn't just exclusively a race parent thing with table take over, it often is something that parents with kids in non racing seasonal weekend programs do if a parent(s) don't ski or even some groups of families just going to the mountain to ski for the day independent of any programs do

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sounds like some people are spending too much time in the lodges if they are so annoyed by the crowd behavior. A full service restaurant might be a better experience for your tastes.

I don't really care about the non skiing mom's setting up camp or the parents on laptops. If that's what it takes to manage kids who have a passion for the sport, whether racing or not, that's cool by me. Just as long as they understand that if there are seats available, they can't just save them for the off chance junior pops back in.

Smellytele

Sounds like some people are spending too much time in the lodges if they are so annoyed by the crowd behavior. A full service restaurant might be a better experience for your tastes.

I don't really care about the non skiing mom's setting up camp or the parents on laptops. If that's what it takes to manage kids who have a passion for the sport, whether racing or not, that's cool by me. Just as long as they understand that if there are seats available, they can't just save them for the off chance junior pops back in.
I have had some ski moms tell me the seat were taken then I find another seat but never see anyone join them…

doublediamond

SMS certainly is one of the very best academies for cross country skiing. They have a very long record of placing their cross country skiers in top D1 collegiate teams and a significant portion of the US team trained at SMS in high school and/or trains at SMS on their post-schoolastic eliete team run by their former head cross country coach. Calling SMS a ski country club is a joke.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have had some ski moms tell me the seat were taken then I find another seat but never see anyone join them…

There are some Karen's for sure, but most of the time I find people pretty accommodating.

We could always go back to the Covid reservation system!!! 😏

BodeMiller1

There are some Karen's for sure, but most of the time I find people pretty accommodating.

We could always go back to the Covid reservation system!!! 😏
They like it when you ignore them. At some point there's not much else you can do.

All the who's down in whoville were whooing away on a mild or hot mid-January day. When out of the tram house came such a clatter. One Mom screeched "What's the matter".

It's all true, the names of the mom's are XXXXX who and others and others.

Yea Cannon is not immune from the Whovillians.

Attachments

• Whoville.jpg
    Whoville.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 8