• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

mbedle

Why would they not have just had cannonball ready before hand? Seems like a big waste of money to run the Tram for one trail to lap by getting on a bus.

freeski

Why only one run from the top? Maybe there is something to the air compressor issue. Upper Cannon isn't the best trail to have as the only trail up top, too narrow. Why not add Tramway? Or, better yet skylight, but then you have to blow the crossover. It's sad not seeing Cannon living up to it's potential. I don't expect them to keep up with Sunday River in this challenging weather, but they should be better than where they are. The trails / slopes that are open right now (except for up top) I consider to be almost run out trails that are not much fun to ski. By this time they should at least have Gary's. Have to believe something is wrong like the previous poster suggested.

edit: Not a big fan of Taxpayers for Cannon, but I do check it several times a year. He does do a good job exposing the trail count, lack of Mittersil days and lack of access for hiking.

Puck it

I will ask around any compressor issues. I did not think of that. They may have taken out an old one and put in a bigger one. The numbers of guns that have been lit up is tiny may be 20 to 30 tops. This may make sense. They lit up the whole front five last year for a week straight.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 313

bootladder

Interesting to read the Cannon weather page yesterday. Cannon dialog said 4-8" possible, but whatever weather page they use said ~1"

They ended up with ~1"

Hope is not a strategy, functional snowmaking is a strategy.

Tin

Interesting to read the Cannon weather page yesterday. Cannon dialog said 4-8" possible, but whatever weather page they use said ~1"

They ended up with ~1"

Hope is not a strategy, functional snowmaking is a strategy.

I was wondering where they got that 4-8" idea yesterday. Thought it was ridiculous.

xwhaler

that blue blob on radar parked itself over the Northern Greens last night and didn't move east it seems.
Bolton 6", Smuggs 6-8"

SIKSKIER

Total bs on the lack of terrain open this weekend.I had a friend bitching to a mngmt guy Saturday who is a long time friend of mine.I think he was sick of hearing people complain about something he has no say in.He starts to reply about the water being 49 degrees in the lake and the friction of the pipes warming it further.What?The lake is frozon now so its not much above freezing,at least near the surface.They did have guns ttb on Garys and Rocket and the top i/3 of Pauleys when I left yesterday morning.The report says they will go to Mittersill next.What?Leave only Upper Cannon as the 1 trail at the summit?Looks like a power play to get snow where they dont need it because of the money gifted from FSC if you ask me.

Puck it

Total bs on the lack of terrain open this weekend.I had a friend bitching to a mngmt guy Saturday who is a long time friend of mine.I think he was sick of hearing people complain about something he has no say in.He starts to reply about the water being 49 degrees in the lake and the friction of the pipes warming it further.What?The lake is frozon now so its not much above freezing,at least near the surface.They did have guns ttb on Garys and Rocket and the top i/3 of Pauleys when I left yesterday morning.The report says they will go to Mittersill next.What?Leave only Upper Cannon as the 1 trail at the summit?Looks like a power play to get snow where they dont need it because of the money gifted from FSC if you ask me.
WTF!!!!!!!!!! What about the paying customers? This is total bullshit if this happens. JD will get an email from me and I will supply his email address to whoever wants it.

Puck it

WTF!!!!!!!!!! That is a bunch of crap about the water and pipe. What about the paying customers? This is total bullshit if this happens. JD will get an email from me and I will supply his email address to whoever wants it. And what is up with the air leak on the skiers left side of profile that is hissing.

Cannonball

The report says they will go to Mittersill next.What?Leave only Upper Cannon as the 1 trail at the summit?Looks like a power play to get snow where they dont need it because of the money gifted from FSC if you ask me.

That's what it sounds like. The only upside to that would be getting all the FSC brats off of the minimal terrain that's open. FSC feels like they own the whole place, and Cannon management seems to agree.

Puck it

That's what it sounds like. The only upside to that would be getting all the FSC brats off of the minimal terrain that's open. FSC feels like they own the whole place, and Cannon management seems to agree.
Just sent an email to JD about the rumor. I will see what he replies.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would think getting at least 3 routes off the top and 3 of the front five open would be equitable to regular Cannon skiers prior to opening Mittersill terrain.

Puck it

From JD's email reply :

Truth, not rumor. Here's the plan (weather permitting, of course):

* Good chunk of the Front Five area terrain by Wednesday;
* Good chunk of learning terrain, plus Tramway and Middle Ravine, by Saturday;
* Another top trail or two, and another middle trail or two, by next week;
* Baron's Run by MLK Weekend

So yes... we may become a 2-mountain ski area sooner, rather than later. My guess is that we'll make a whole lotta people happy that way. We'll see if Mother Nature cooperates. All things subject to change, of course.

Not the reply I was expecting. More open.

SIKSKIER

Looking Ahead - After we wrap-up snowmaking on the Front 5 this midweek, we’ll try to open some terrain in the Tuckerbrook Family Area for the weekend. Beyond that, we have our sights set on our first-ever snowmaking effort on Mittersill and Baron’s Run, so stay tuned for updates in the coming week.

This is right on their website today.Nowhere on there does it talk about heading to the summit before going to Mittersill.

Here is more

Excellent news: The Zoomer Triple is planned to open this morning for skiing/riding on Gary's, Rocket and Mickey's Margin with active snowmaking in progress (note that the Zoomer chair may open late). Arctic snowmaking temps in the subzero & single digit range have arrived, which should allow for a massive output of man-made snow...look for Paulie's Folly to join the open list in the coming days. We picked up 1-2" of new snow overnight (2" on the summit), but we got skunked on the big dump that was being predicted last night. Leftover morning flurries will give way to mostly sunny skies, but temps aren't expected to hit double digits so please come prepared; otherwise, it sounds like a glorious winter day.

11:45 am update - It's a man-made blizzard on Gary's & Rocket today. You'll find the best powder of the season there, and we expect the same for Tuesday. It's mostly packed powder everywhere else...good stuff. Plan for Tuesday if you aren't already here.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
From JD's email reply :

Truth, not rumor. Here's the plan (weather permitting, of course):

* Good chunk of the Front Five area terrain by Wednesday;
* Good chunk of learning terrain, plus Tramway and Middle Ravine, by Saturday;
* Another top trail or two, and another middle trail or two, by next week;
* Baron's Run by MLK Weekend

So yes... we may become a 2-mountain ski area sooner, rather than later. My guess is that we'll make a whole lotta people happy that way. We'll see if Mother Nature cooperates. All things subject to change, of course.

Not the reply I was expecting. More open.

I'm actually good with that plan. Getting the racers over to Baron's for the next busy period is a good idea...just not necessary until then.