• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon 3/2/2015

Cannonball

I only got a few runs in today. But the conditions were notable so thought I'd throw up a quick TR.

Overnight we got about 4" of super fluff in Lincoln. As I sat at my desk working and looking out the window the day seemed to be a continual battle between winter and spring. The thermometer read high 20s. When the sun came out there was melting and chirping, I could see people making turns on South Peak. But then the flurries would take over. Visibility would drop to a few hundred yards and accumulations would add up fast.

I wasn't going to ride today. I had a lot of work to do and had no car to get to the mountain. By 2pm the winter/spring balance seemed too good to pass up. Warmish but with accumulations, this was going to be one of those days I'd stew over for the rest of the year if I didn't go. My wife had taken the car away for a few days, but she had left her bike. I threw my board on my pack and hopped on the bike. Pedaling in snowboard boots turned out to be easier than expected. I wouldn't want to do it in ski boots and luckily she hasn't gone spd.

Ski racks aren't the best bike racks, but you make do.
Bike.jpg

Once again Loon was DEAD. Not only didn't I wait in a line. I did not not see a single other person on the lift. Whereas spring was holding it's own at the base, winter ruled at the top. Winds were high (25-30?) and it felt like a winter wasteland with the only other human being the liftie hunkered in the top shack. The riding was fan-fing-tastic! Trails 100% to myself with boot deep windrifts in between the scoured ice surfaces. I wish they stayed open till dark.

Conditions there will be good for a long time. Loon grooms the hell out of things. That's not my preference, but it makes for good snow preservation and consistent coverage. They will have moderated the drift vs ice situation into a happy medium by the morning. Right now (9:30pm) t's still flurrying out but it's extremely windy. There might be some nice drifts out there in the morning.

4aprice

Very cool and very jealous of you Alex. Lincoln seems to me to be a great location. We were going to stop there for dinner on Saturday night but it was crowded with some ice festival so we u-turned out of there and down to Plymouth. Tell me again why it's not ranked high as a ski town?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

keyser soze

LMAO. Riding a bicycle in a snowstorm to the hill with a board on your back. Can't keep you away:) You are a crazy pup. That is awesome.

Cannonball

Very cool and very jealous of you Alex. Lincoln seems to me to be a great location. We were going to stop there for dinner on Saturday night but it was crowded with some ice festival so we u-turned out of there and down to Plymouth. Tell me again why it's not ranked high as a ski town?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

FYI: that ice castle cluster F is only right there in front of Rodgers. What a circus! But once you get through its all good. Or next time get off at exit 33 and sneak in the back to miss all of that.

I think Lincoln gets rated fairly high. It certainly gets crowded if that's any indication. There seems to be general up tic too. More, better restraunts coming in, etc. The verdict is still out on the big South Peak expansion. Construction is going strong. It's exciting to see what will happen but also a little scary.

chuckstah

I skied Loon today and conditions were great. A few inches overnight combined with Monday's snow refreshed everything nicely. Dense snow but not slop. It really helped out the glades. Hopefully it doesn't firm up much tomorrow as it did get above freezing today. Couple pix in the glades

Attachments

• 1425515085307.jpg
    1425515085307.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 1425515108770.jpg
    1425515108770.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 84

skiMEbike

Nice...That is awesome!! Heading to Loon next weekend, so will be looking for some intel, as I have only been there one other time (& the mountain was barely open). Looking forward to explore beyond the few trails that were open last time I skied there years ago early season. Any suggestions on glades to hit up (preferably with good cover)? Bump runs? How to avoid the crowds?

chuckstah

Nice...That is awesome!! Heading to Loon next weekend, so will be looking for some intel, as I have only been there one other time (& the mountain was barely open). Looking forward to explore beyond the few trails that were open last time I skied there years ago early season. Any suggestions on glades to hit up (preferably with good cover)? Bump runs? How to avoid the crowds?

The best, and usually only, natural bumps are on Triple Trouble and Big Dipper. These trails never see a groomer or snow gun, at least on the steeps. The top of Dipper and runout of TT are occasionally groomed. Ripsaw is hit or miss whether it is groomed or not.
Today seeded bumps were on skiers left of lower Flume, with shorter seeded lines on skiers left of Lower Twitcher, and near the base of the west basin(Kanc Quad).
My favorite on map glades are Bucksaw, Boss Woods, Mike's Way and also the low angle blue glades towards the base which I can't remember the names. PM me if you need a little info on the off map stuff.
As far as avoiding crowds, weekends are always busy. North peak and especially the east basin double are where I go to minimize waits. Avoid the gondy after 10. Hope this helps.

rocojerry

Ha, Well then you'll like this pic

attachment.php

nice... maybe some wheels and a jetpack onto that board would help if the car and bike are in use--