• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Self Diagnosing My Meniscus

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
I've had a very bad back to manage for a decade thanks to mogul and freestyle youth, but now I have finally entered the world of knee problems. Can't squat, don't like going down stairs and absolutely no hiking, golfing, soccer, or skiing as the knee is just very weak and can't be trusted at all. I think I have a meniscus tear of some type based on Dr Google. Been living with it and it's been getting worse for almost a month now. I'm 36.

Ortho won't see me till I have a referral, so am working on getting that now.

Who else been through this? Results?

Smellytele

lately my right knee can not bend all the way. left knee is fine. I may get it checked as well but afraid what they might find. I at least made it to 47.:spread:

slatham

I have had the same problems in both knees. PT was an option and worked magic. I now do leg exercises a few times a week. While I can feel that my knees are not like when I was 25 (I am over 50) I have no hesitancy when skiing, surfing, running, golfing, etc...

GET IT LOOKED AT. A weak knee will blow out and be a real, time on the couch, problem.

Puck it

Me. I have had 4-5 surgeries depending on what you count as a surgery on my right knee. No meniscus left. Arthritic now, pain is behind knee cap. Going for second round of ortho visc in month for ski season.

So where is the pain?
Dull ache?
Sharp pain? Location?

Tin

Self diagnosing just creates more anxiety and damage than what is needed. Just wait it out until drawing conclusions.

Recently, I was convinced I dislocated my elbow and was just walking around in a sling until I was finally told I had a UCL tear and healing time would be more like 6 months and not 6 weeks. Could have done a lot more damage and been left with a partially numb hand.

Also, go to a reputable ortho! If they want to open you up, ALWAYS get a second opinion. My GF did her meniscus when she was in her late teens and they removed it, now she has knee issues 10 years later and probably will have a replacement by the time she is 40. A good ortho would have never removed it given her age and it would have healed fine.

Tin

Me. I have had 4-5 surgeries depending on what you count as a surgery on my right knee. No meniscus left. Arthritic now, pain is behind knee cap. Going for second round of ortho visc in month for ski season.

So where is the pain?
Dull ache?
Sharp pain? Location?

When you get a replacement you'll wish they did it years ago. Glad to see they are starting to do them earlier. The 6 month recovery sucks but most who have had them done I know are more active now (running, biking, etc.) than they were in the previous 20 years.

Puck it

When you get a replacement you'll wish they did it years ago. Glad to see they are starting to do them earlier. The 6 month recovery sucks but most who have had them done I know are more active now (running, biking, etc.) than they were in the previous 20 years.
I am not getting done until I have to. My ortho does not want to do it until it is really needed. I would not be able to ski as hard with a replacement.

Puck it

Self diagnosing just creates more anxiety and damage than what is needed. Just wait it out until drawing conclusions.

Recently, I was convinced I dislocated my elbow and was just walking around in a sling until I was finally told I had a UCL tear and healing time would be more like 6 months and not 6 weeks. Could have done a lot more damage and been left with a partially numb hand.

Also, go to a reputable ortho! If they want to open you up, ALWAYS get a second opinion. My GF did her meniscus when she was in her late teens and they removed it, now she has knee issues 10 years later and probably will have a replacement by the time she is 40. A good ortho would have never removed it given her age and it would have healed fine.
Not true, if the tear was large enough, it would not heal. They would suture it back to allow for healing. My son had that done when he had his ACL replacement when he 17.

Puck it

Dull ache except when full bend, then sharp. Otherwise just very rickety and unpleasant.
Probably a tear but could a partial ACL tear too. Go see the ortho. Let him do the manipulation tests and a MRI. MRI are alwaays not conclusive though if nothing is seen. Scoping is the only true test.

drjeff

Get it diagnosed and treated properly now. Sure, potentially you might be limited/miss this coming ski season, but it could very well dramatically INCREASE your chances of having many, many more lengthy, enjoyable ski seasons in the years to come - BIG PICTURE thinking is needed here

Tin

Not true, if the tear was large enough, it would not heal.

After she did her MCL she had two orthos tell her they should have never done it and it would have healed so I'm assuming it was not a full tear. Also, knee treatments have come a long way in 10 years.

Loon? He can always stay at Cannon but it would now be known as the "Tuckerbrook Bar".

steamboat1

Almost three years now since I fully tore my ACL & slight meniscus damage. Didn't have surgery because my ortho didn't recommend that I do at my age (59 now). Try to keep my legs strong by cycling, walking, squatting, stretching, etc. Haven't had any problems. Rarely I get a slight throbbing pain in the knee but nothing serious. Actually it happens more while I'm in bed & my muscles tighten up. Haven't felt any instability in the knee at all which people have told me happens with no ACL. Skied about 40 days each of the last two seasons without a problem. I do still wear a knee brace but mostly out of precaution than necessity.

What you have sounds more serious. It's hard for me to say how bad my knee was when I first injured it because I broke my ankle at the same time & that was a lot more painful. The knee did hurt a lot though & my doctor said the ACL was definitely blown. Doctor had me doing PT for the knee even before I got out of my hard cast which I had on for just over a month. From the sound of your pain & weakness I'd definitely get it looked at. You're far to young to be suffering so much. I wish you good luck.

Puck it

Almost three years now since I fully tore my ACL & slight meniscus damage. Didn't have surgery because my ortho didn't recommend that I do at my age (59 now). Try to keep my legs strong by cycling, walking, squatting, stretching, etc. Haven't had any problems. Rarely I get a slight throbbing pain in the knee but nothing serious. Actually it happens more while I'm in bed & my muscles tighten up. Haven't felt any instability in the knee at all which people have told me happens with no ACL. Skied about 40 days each of the last two seasons without a problem. I do still wear a knee brace but mostly out of precaution than necessity.

What you have sounds more serious. It's hard for me to say how bad my knee was when I first injured it because I broke my ankle at the same time & that was a lot more painful. The knee did hurt a lot though & my doctor said the ACL was definitely blown. Doctor had me doing PT for the knee even before I got out of my hard cast which I had on for just over a month. From the sound of your pain & weakness I'd definitely get it looked at. You're far to young to be suffering so much. I wish you good luck.
I can not believe an ortho would say not to replace the ACL if you are active. I would get a second opinion.

steamboat1

I can not believe an ortho would say not to replace the ACL if you are active. I would get a second opinion.
Actually my ortho is my age & had the same knee injury a year prior to me. He didn't have surgery either & he's a surgeon. Operates at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. Last I saw him a couple of months ago his results have been the same as mine. He still skis & is quite active.

Last edited:

Puck it

Actually my ortho is my age & had the same knee injury a year prior to me. He didn't have surgery either & he's a surgeon. Last I saw him a couple of months ago his results have been the same as mine. He still skis & is quite active.
Very interesting. Before my replacement, my knee would "pop out" playing hockey and skiing. That is one of the reasons why I have arthritis, no ACL for 12 years destroyed the knee. I wish I had done it sooner.

Riverskier

I tore my ACL the same year as Steamboat and have had the same results, no pain or instability, and two 30 plus day ski seasons. My ortho is literally one of the best in the business (yeah, I know everyone says that) and he recommended trying to go without surgery. New research suggests that some people get by fine without an ACL and can maintain active lifestyles. Others not so much... I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Of course it also depends on your age and activities. I was 35 and if I was 18 he likely would have recommended surgery. I also could never play tennis or basketball, anything that involves pivoting. The only sports I participate in are skiing, mountain biking, and hiking, which have all been fine. I have scaled back my bump skiing a bit too, but still ski them.