• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Non-skier arguments about skiing

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
I know we are all bored so I will bring this up. I was watching a TV show with my family and they went on the gondola at a ski resort. My mother in law starts taking about how much she loves "sky lifts". I proceeded to tell her it was called a gondola but she insists she knows better even though she is from Houston,TX and has never skied a day in her life. Anyone else deal with crap like this lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

I know we are all bored so I will bring this up. I was watching a TV show with my family and they went on the gondola at a ski resort. My mother in law starts taking about how much she loves "sky lifts". I proceeded to tell her it was called a gondola but she insists she knows better even though she is from Houston,TX and has never skied a day in her life. Anyone else deal with crap like this lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Because at the theme parks that have these they call them sky lifts - what do they know!

benski

I know a lot of people who think skiing with snowboarders is weird. I also know people who tell me things like, there are no steeps in vt but they only ski at Okemo the biggest and tallest mountain in the east. Another person told me this spring "They should build an interconnect between Park City and The Canyons."

AdironRider

I know a lot of people who think skiing with snowboarders is weird. I also know people who tell me things like, there are no steeps in vt but they only ski at Okemo the biggest and tallest mountain in the east. Another person told me this spring "They should build an interconnect between Park City and The Canyons."

To be fair, VT terrain isn't necessarily my first thought when it comes to steep terrain on the East Coast.

They also are currently in the process of building an interconnect for PC and the Canyons, which did not exist previously and will be new this coming ski season. So this past spring they weren't wrong.

benski

To be fair, VT terrain isn't necessarily my first thought when it comes to steep terrain on the East Coast.

They also are currently in the process of building an interconnect for PC and the Canyons, which did not exist previously and will be new this coming ski season. So this past spring they weren't wrong.

The okemo comments suggested he was not aware that other vt mountain are in fact much steeper higher bigger and steeper than okemo.

I just thought that coincidence was funny.

MadMadWorld

I'm guessing you think it's NY?

AdironRider

I'm guessing you think it's NY?

Yes, and New Hampshire as well. Sugarloaf also makes most VT hills looks like beginner slopes in a lot of ways also.

Not saying you can't ski anything steep in VT, but its not my first choice if that is all I am looking for.

skiNEwhere

I have a non-skiing co-worker who's always asking me jokingly if I've skied any triple black diamonds recently. I always tell him that despite his best efforts to be a smartsass, they do exist in a few places.

I don't think I've ever skied at any place that had one, only 2 I can think of are Smuggs and le massif I think.

MadMadWorld

I have a non-skiing co-worker who's always asking me jokingly if I've skied any triple black diamonds recently. I always tell him that despite his best efforts to be a smartsass, they do exist in a few places.

I don't think I've ever skied at any place that had one, only 2 I can think of are Smuggs and le massif I think.

18% of people that ski triple blacks die

Hawkshot99

18% of people that ski triple blacks die

I bet 100% of them will all die................eventuly

jimk

I thought this thread was about arguments from non skiers about why they never tried it?
Interesting discussion on that topic from slopefillers.com a couple days ago:
http://www.slopefillers.com/why-people-dont-ski/

What are the reasons your friends/family/acquaintances don't ski?
Too dangerous, cold, inconvenient, expensive? How about plain old, NO INTEREST?

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I thought this thread was about arguments from non skiers about why they never tried it?
Interesting discussion on that topic from slopefillers.com a couple days ago:
http://www.slopefillers.com/why-people-dont-ski/

What are the reasons your friends/family/acquaintances don't ski?
Too dangerous, cold, inconvenient, expensive? How about plain old, NO INTEREST?

Non Skiers ...snap..... Should not be associated with , if they speak to you should not make eye contact and should bow as you pass by .

Whitey

"It's so cold when you ski".

Well Einstein, if it wasn’t cold then we’d be swimming instead of skiing. Plus, that’s what they make ski jackets/pants, long underwear, gloves, etc for. . .