• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jerry of the Day...

crank

The whole idea just seems mean spirited to me.

yes! let's publicly shame people who are trying to get into a sport, but are not as good/dont have the right gear/make stupid mistakes

let's perpetuate the stereotype of skiers being snotty elitist dooshbags

great page!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I get what you're saying, but a lot of it is like America's Funniest home videos only skiing related. We all have funny wrecks, some of us daily. So, that aspect is more self depreciating humor than "shaming"

wtcobb

yes! let's publicly shame people who are trying to get into a sport, but are not as good/dont have the right gear/make stupid mistakes

let's perpetuate the stereotype of skiers being snotty elitist dooshbags

great page!

I don't know man... I understand the need to not bash people new to a sport/activity (not at all limited to skiing - hiking and climbing are just as notoriously elitist).

But when you're doing this

attachment.php

it's pretty damn hard not to laugh.

Attachments

• jerry.jpg
    jerry.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 239

Rushski

Wow, is it getting PC in here? We have enough word and thought police in the real world. It's supposed to be funny and is.

There are no names mentioned. Good luck even trying to figure the ski areas...

Lighten up Francises.

dlague

Well I think we all looked silly or did stupid stuff early in our skiing adventures - I would like to think I can look back and laugh at it. I look back at how I dressed to ski in the early eighties - makes me laugh like crazy and my kids are relentless. So when I see something that is a rookie move I think it is funny!

Mapnut

I don't know man... I understand the need to not bash people new to a sport/activity (not at all limited to skiing - hiking and climbing are just as notoriously elitist).

But when you're doing this

attachment.php

it's pretty damn hard not to laugh.

What's wrong with that? He's the only one who figured out how to keep his nose warm!

wtcobb

What's wrong with that? He's the only one who figured out how to keep his nose warm!

Point taken.

This year I think I'll try a space helmet for full face protection. Better yet - a diver's helmet. The added weight of bronze will help with those faceplants.

VTKilarney

I think it's perfectly fun to make fun of one another, but making fun of a neophyte who is at least getting out there and learning something new isn't something that interests me that much.

ironhippy

the page isn't just pointing out novice mistakes. There are a lot of intermediates hitting things that are way too advanced and experts just plain messing up.

They had a firework video that still makes me laugh thinking about it, if this thread keeps up I'll shake off some laziness and find it.

mriceyman

That kid has the look saying "my dad is a jerry"

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ironhippy

here is the clip I really like, I'm not sure why I find it so amusing, probably because I can imagine both parts, being the idiot lighting the firework and also the neighbor just laying in bed when all of a sudden your backyard is lit up like a firefight.

https://instagram.com/p/4owzlIi1rX/

dlague

On a busy day at your favorite ski area pay a little attention to how people carry their skis - it is pretty funny!

Tin

This look more like nature vs. nurture epitomized to me.

In studies of Jerry children, Chomsky and other nativists found that Jerry children come out of the womb putting on ski goggles upside down and sending it.