• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT Flooding

Hawk

I've been driving to Boston for 30 years everyday and do not have one ticket or accident. From my persective that is a stereotype also.

2Planker

Agreed, mass drivers are almost as bad as jersey drivers! :)
Worst Driver by State, According to the Ins industry

Worst drivers​

By State Rank

1. Utah
2. California
3. Virginia
4. Maine
5. Nebraska
6. South Carolina
7. North Dakota
8. Colorado
9. Washington
10. Arizona
11. Minnesota
12. Missouri
13. Kansas
14. Idaho
15. Georgia
16. Vermont
17. Ohio
18. Delaware
19. New Jersey
20. Oregon

1dog

Worst drivers​

By State Rank

1. Utah
2. California
3. Virginia
4. Maine
5. Nebraska
6. South Carolina
7. North Dakota
8. Colorado
9. Washington
10. Arizona
11. Minnesota
12. Missouri
13. Kansas
14. Idaho
15. Georgia
16. Vermont
17. Ohio
18. Delaware
19. New Jersey
20. Oregon

Thats a bit biased, but if we went by ' revenue enhancement' per capita I bet M-Holes win big. Face it folks, a lot of us in the NE have very little patience and in some cases, if you are not 'somewhat aggressive' you may never get to pull out onto roads. . . . . . nowhere I know boasts about it like 'MassHoles; bumper stickers - pretty embarrassing for those of us who don't see an anal cavity when we look into the mirror.

Everyone understand we get averages from extremes, right? last year drought, this year wet and wetter. Kayaked by the snowmaking pond a few weeks ago - before the heavy rains. . . . girl who kayaked by the nude beach there is having trouble 'un-seeing the 350 lb nude guy standing high on a boulder as she and her son went by. . . . . . .

if this weather pattern keeps up and we get cold - wow. . . . . could be a year like last year out west. . . .

there are no 'norms' . . .

jaytrem

Worst drivers​

By State Rank

1. Utah
2. California
3. Virginia
4. Maine
5. Nebraska
6. South Carolina
7. North Dakota
8. Colorado
9. Washington
10. Arizona
11. Minnesota
12. Missouri
13. Kansas
14. Idaho
15. Georgia
16. Vermont
17. Ohio
18. Delaware
19. New Jersey
20. Oregon

You would think Utah would be lower considering how much of the population doesn't drink.

Razor

My son moved to Colorado about 20 years ago. He always said Mass. drivers were so much better than Colorado ones. But CO drivers are much more rules conscious and mellow. Here's an example of the difference: One time on I-70 there was construction and a sign that said "left lane closed ahead." The traffic in the right lane was stopped and the left lane was empty. So I did what any good Mass. driver would do and got in the left lane. I drove unimpeded for at least 2 miles before I got to the left lane barrier at which time I put my right blinker on and pulled into the right lane. People actually gave me room to pull over! Probably saved 15 minutes.

So Inclined

My son moved to Colorado about 20 years ago. He always said Mass. drivers were so much better than Colorado ones. But CO drivers are much more rules conscious and mellow. Here's an example of the difference: One time on I-70 there was construction and a sign that said "left lane closed ahead." The traffic in the right lane was stopped and the left lane was empty. So I did what any good Mass. driver would do and got in the left lane. I drove unimpeded for at least 2 miles before I got to the left lane barrier at which time I put my right blinker on and pulled into the right lane. People actually gave me room to pull over! Probably saved 15 minutes.
Like "walk on the left, stand on the right" on escalators, we've got to get everyone on the roads on the same page about the value of the zipper merge.

djd66

Not sure what constitutes a "bad driver" I'm from Mass and I have not had an accident in over 40 years. For me, a bad driver is the person in the Subaru driving 50 MPH in the left hand lane on 89 and refusing to move over. I don't see too many Mass plates doing that,... I see a lot of green ones though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not sure what constitutes a "bad driver" I'm from Mass and I have not had an accident in over 40 years. For me, a bad driver is the person in the Subaru driving 50 MPH in the left hand lane on 89 and refusing to move over. I don't see too many Mass plates doing that,... I see a lot of green ones though.

Left lane lounging?

I'm pretty certain they teach that move in Driver's Ed in Maine. Drives me bananas

BenedictGomez

You would think Utah would be lower considering how much of the population doesn't drink.

It might just be that the cops are stricter. I got pulled over the other day for not coming to a complete stop at a stop-sign. Not a 5mph roll-through mind you, just not a perfect complete stop. I'm pretty sure I looked at the cop like he had 3 heads as this is just not a thing in Jersey. Police have bigger fish to fry.

jimmywilson69

Welcome to UTAH!

Similar to Maine, I think they teach Marylanders to lounge in the left lane at 5 below the speed limit...

LonghornSkier

It might just be that the cops are stricter. I got pulled over the other day for not coming to a complete stop at a stop-sign. Not a 5mph roll-through mind you, just not a perfect complete stop. I'm pretty sure I looked at the cop like he had 3 heads as this is just not a thing in Jersey. Police have bigger fish to fry.
Which is silly because in reality, Utah has both a higher violent crime rate and property crime rate than NJ.

BenedictGomez

Which is silly because in reality, Utah has both a higher violent crime rate and property crime rate than NJ.

I'm talking about real crime, not Little Susie having her Pillow pet stolen from Elementary School, or a fight on the football team leading to a hospitalization.

Though it is true, New Jersey isnt bad at all, provided you stay out of Newark, Camden, and Trenton. There's pretty much no (real) crime where I live.

1690005063086.png

skiur

I'm talking about real crime, not Little Susie having her Pillow pet stolen from Elementary School, or a fight on the football team leading to a hospitalization.

Though it is true, New Jersey isnt bad at all, provided you stay out of Newark, Camden, and Trenton. There's pretty much no (real) crime where I live.

View attachment 58750

Don't forget jersey city, union city, west NY, Patterson, Passaic, Elizabeth, etc etc... The list goes on and on. There are plenty of nice areas too.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yep.

And people DO drive like idiots here. For many red lights are optional. Be forewarned.

BodeMiller1

Yep.

And people DO drive like idiots here. For many red lights are optional. Be forewarned.
In Concord, NH the police have given up on red light violations. People roll redlights to save gas (not have the engine turned off). Who knows why? Also, crosswalks the things you see in the road, white kind of a grid pattern. They are actually places for people (and kids) to walk without being maimed. Now it's more like Russian roulette. In New Hampshire we stopped pulling old people's licenses. The kids drive ....

With two shootings over the weekend and someone is bringing in at least 4 metric tons of heroine being consumed a day I guess it makes sense.

jimk

Furthering thread drift...​

Worst drivers​

By State Rank
1. Utah
2. California
3. Virginia
--------------------------
Wow, I spend a lot of time in recent years driving in the top three states!!

My generalizations:
Utah - they go fast in UT. Keep up or get blown away. Fortunately I only experience the state as a retiree and stay away from most regular commuter congestion (except that to ski areas:). There is not much traffic compared to all major Eastern cities. There are a lot of junkers on the road in Utah, such as fly by night landscaping and construction guys with poorly maintained vehicles and loose cargo that can present hazards on the roadway. My wife got sideswiped by an old ford bronco near Kimball Junction two years ago. Scared the crap out of her. She was on her way to picking me up after I'd skied Deer Valley that day. Car was in the shop for a couple weeks. My insurance covered it. The guy hit her at 230pm on I80 at 65 MPH. They pulled over and guy said, sorry it's my fault I fell asleep. A cop was quickly on the scene. Driver had expired license and no insurance. Cop impounded his vehicle and took him away in the back of cop car.

CA - they go fast there too. Incredible amount of traffic in every direction at all times of the day. I've made something like 7 road trips from UT to Southern CA in the last five years. Got family there. Fortunately, I don't have to mess with I5 too much.

Virginia - been driving in this state since 1970. Heavy/ugly commuting traffic on all arteries in and out of Wash DC. Battled it all my life, final dozen years of my work career I got to bike commute about 40% of the time, it was heaven. I don't really think the drivers are that bad, just too many of them:). DC has an especially focused commuter pattern with a great many jobs in CBD downtown and lots of bedroom communities in suburbs. I did witness memorable road rage, two commuters pulled off an exit of I95 near Fredericksburg, VA. They jumped out of their cars and started fisticuffs on the asphalt right in front of me while I was driving a fully loaded 15 pass commuter van. I yelled out the window to break it up. Both got back into their cars after 5-10 minutes, shirts ripped, but not much blood.