• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Huntah sold to Peak Resorts

catskillman

I was asking more for a general financial condition, not a complete financial breakdown. An opinion.

I'll guess that most resort operators heavily invested in the east are hurting in the short term because of the crappy winter so far. Making an resort purchase right now can only make that worse. Their business model must include a contingency for this inevitability anyway, but talk about the worst winter to make such a deal.

I can remember other winters in the past 15 years or so that have started almost as poorly but this winter takes the cake for worst start ever.
may I remind you that the deal has not closed yet --- hasen't cost them a nickle, and unless there is a clause in the contract regarding the day it has to close by, it would be in their best interest to drag this on......

JimG.

Staff member
may I remind you that the deal has not closed yet --- hasen't cost them a nickle, and unless there is a clause in the contract regarding the day it has to close by, it would be in their best interest to drag this on......

Really? Whose best interests?

Certainly not their pass holders whose opinions I would assume Peaks might have an interest in. The weather is not their fault but how they react and cater to pass holders who are already disenchanted might say a lot about next season.

Unless they are ready to bag the whole deal in which case I would assume that would not suit the Slutsky's best interests.

So who gains by dragging this on?

JimG.

Staff member
Intrawest is near their 52 week low as well. Looking at a 1 year stock window shows both Intrawest and Peak down about 30% from a year ago. Not sure who else there even is publicly traded to compare with that has some eastern resorts in their portfolio.

Shows you what a gamble every year is with a weather dependent business. I guess that will get worse as time passes.

drjeff

I'm guessing that Peak didn't decide to spend over 30 million dollars with the notion that they'd make all 30+ million back between the late December closing date and the start of 2016!! They're in this for the long haul! After all, how many resorts has Peak bought in the last 10 or so years vs. how many they've sold??

catskillman

Really? Whose best interests?

Certainly not their pass holders whose opinions I would assume Peaks might have an interest in. The weather is not their fault but how they react and cater to pass holders who are already disenchanted might say a lot about next season.

Unless they are ready to bag the whole deal in which case I would assume that would not suit the Slutsky's best interests.

So who gains by dragging this on?
The weather has made snowmaking almost impossible, no matter who owns/owned the mtn.. At this point it does not matter to passholders who owns the place. The deal was not meant to close yet anyway. I am a passholder and have been forever, and it makes no differance to me. The pass is cheap and I more than get my $ worth. I totally expect them to raise the cost next year... This mtn has been for sale for ever, for the right price. I heard a speach by Orville about 15 years ago, and he said that. He also said it had to be cash, as he did not want stock at his age.... If you were buying a marina and the lake was frozen in July would you delay the purchase if you could??? Of course, why would you want to own the place now if there wasen't an income opportunity, you were only going to have to pay out cash. Why would the boaters be disenchanted with anyone. Can't unfreeze a lake...........

VTKilarney

Everyone stop. Contracts such as this always have a closing date. While delays happen, you can't just delay a closing because you feel like it.

Last edited:

Scruffy

I was there today. Not too bad at all for a WROD. Not that many people out and those that were there, were good skiers mostly, so it was a white ribbon, but not of death. Snow and cold coming next week, let's hope for a long cold spell and a shifted season. Maybe the new owners will extend the closing date.

goldsbar

Let's hope this is the worst image we see until late April. At least it's still a base they can start to repair tonight.

cam2.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
I skied there today.

Top to 5 fingers is still really good but past mid is pretty much gone. You can pick your way down but it needs plenty of snowmaking.

Never seen a terrible start like this season. Was at Belleayre on Sat and it was not much different.

catskillman

I skied there today.

Top to 5 fingers is still really good but past mid is pretty much gone. You can pick your way down but it needs plenty of snowmaking.

Never seen a terrible start like this season. Was at Belleayre on Sat and it was not much different.
Why are they not blowing on the parkway??? This is a total switch from the last 25 seasons. The first 2 trails are always the parkway and hellgate. Is something amiss with the new pipeline and equipment?

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Why are they not blowing on the parkway??? This is a total switch from the last 25 seasons. The first 2 trails are always the parkway and hellgate. Is something amiss with the new pipeline and equipment?

Its called window of opportunity! Much easier to make Huega first. I would say Belt is next up starting Thursday night.

millerm277

This weather has been the worst in about 25 seasons too, and this week's weather isn't great either.

I think they've chosen to try to open up terrain up high where it's less likely to melt out. Heuga's got a lot of shade too, so I'm sure that helped further.

catskillman

I hear d that a pipe broke, so they hit up Jimmy ..........it's fixed now.
I knew somethng was off..... also - they need the belt to open wayout and say they have skiing on all three mountains......and the only reason I care about the belt is it takes away the traffic and the iffy folks and makes everyone's day better...........

We'll see if they blow snow there tomorrow.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I knew somethng was off..... also - they need the belt to open wayout and say they have skiing on all three mountains......and the only reason I care about the belt is it takes away the traffic and the iffy folks and makes everyone's day better...........

We'll see if they blow snow there tomorrow.

Looks like snowmaking restarts Thursday afternoon/nite.