• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

I see little signs (no day ticket sales) that Magic will not be open this Thursday. Kind of a bummer as I have to pick up my stuff to go elsewhere. Anyone have the lowdown?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I see little signs (no day ticket sales) that Magic will not be open this Thursday. Kind of a bummer as I have to pick up my stuff to go elsewhere. Anyone have the lowdown?
Their Website snow report states:
"Sunday’s rain then 65 degree temps and high 40 mph warm winds throughout the night pounded the mtn. Then came Monday…more heavy rain and warm 50+ mph winds. It’s pretty ugly. The snowmaking trails have lost significant coverage and the summit is extremely thin with pond ice or dirt. For now, we will remain closed on Thursday and evaluate what we can do to piece it back together for Friday and the weekend. Wednesday afternoon we expect 1-3″ and Saturday’s storm keeps trending east and colder which would be good for us if that trend continued. Currently a mix of snow/rain, but latest models are pushing to a possible 6″+ type storm. But honestly, the models have sucked this year so we live on the edge. As always our operations team will do whatever it takes to get us out skiing and riding whether from Green lift or the Red Summit lift."

It.is not sounding very promising and I would likely make plans to ski elsewhere the rest of this season. It will take a surprisingly big storm for them to have much open this weekend as I read that, and I doubt they will make it past this weekend.

My guess is the best skiing in S.Vt going forward will be Carinthia area of Mt Snow, where they are doing lots of snowmaking to extend the season. Though I don't find Csrinthia area exciting enough to warrant a drive from NJ to S.Vt.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

All of VT got nuked from the rain and wind these last two days. Not gonna be pretty anywhere and Magic was already looking rough unfortunately. Hopefully Saturday delivers for another fun weekend or two of skiing. Then its time to go North (maybe all the way to Santa) if you want a decent amount of snow.

JoeB-Z

Got it and thanks. I need to just start carrying my core gear in the car. I have avoided Mt. Snow but I have an Epic weekday pass.

Newpylong

Was blown away how much snow Killington lost even on snowmaking trails. Lot of dirt poking through all over on the thinner ones.

drjeff

Was blown away how much snow Killington lost even on snowmaking trails. Lot of dirt poking through all over on the thinner ones.
The multiple monsoon events that have happened over the last 3 weeks or so, even with the snow events in between, have just been brutal to both the depth and surface to base make up of what snowpack is still there. Ugh

ne_skier

To anyone who was at Magic last weekend, what is the snowpack on snowmaking trails like? I have to imagine that the recent snow helped to an extent. Unfortunately it looks like a couple rain events with warm temps this week and the same thing next week as well, if it's as low as the pictures on the Alpine Update depict I wouldn't be surprised if this weekend is the last hurrah for Magic's winter, at least from the summit.
On the bright side though, it looks like work has restarted on the Black lift, with some sheave trains having gone up. Hopefully this gets done in time for line/electrical work to be completed over the summer, and we can have shorter lift lines and redundancy for next winter. With a reliable secondary summit lift, Magic's main-mountain lift infrastructure should be solid for a good while.

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

Agree on the snow. It looks really rough to sustain skiing beyond Sunday. Of course, the snow is incredibly dense. Even softened, it will not be much fun.

ThatGuy

Skiing beyond this weekend seems like a pipe dream. Pretty rough season overall, still had some good days but barely made it into the woods (or most of west side).

slatham

I was not up so I do not have great insight into snowpack. But from what I saw pre-meltdown, and heard/read post meltdown, they will need some help to get past this weekend. The next 5 days do not seem to be friendly. Beyond that its too early to call. A continuation of the roller coaster into a colder/snowy pattern next week would be well timed, and likely required. Fingers crossed.

NYDB

I was not up this weekend, but my family was.

My wife says based on 10 day, she feels this will be the last weekend from the summit. Maybe they will piece something together from green chair for 3/26 weekend.

It was the winter of having a decent base for the 'next storm' . The next storm just turned out to be an inch of rain most of the time.

Never got into any steep trees all year. Did have a day or 2 with decent low angle tree skiing though.

Blackline, Goniff, Twilight and Slide were the only double blacks I was on all year.

I hope i'm wrong, but I feel like these 80-90'' seasons are kinda the new norm. It maybe the time to head north quite a bit.

KustyTheKlown

i dont mind 'donating' to magic in the form of my sunday pass, but i am def bummed to underutilize it and i may not buy it again, since I'll get 2 + a discount day via indy. i can a la carte other days i guess.

ne_skier

I managed to hit all of the blacks/double blacks (trees included) except for the Green Line glades, Voodoo, and the 3 double blacks which did not open this season: Pitch Black, Black Magic and Magician.
I wouldn’t say this was a warm winter in general, as January was some of the coldest skiing I’ve done south of Jay. Unfortunately, with a couple exceptions, every time we got potential for precipitation it brought warm southern air with it and we got rained out. I wouldn’t say this season was trashed by the lack of snow, but rather the presence of rain. Those two things do pretty much go hand in hand however.

ThatGuy

It was the winter of having a decent base for the 'next storm' . The next storm just turned out to be an inch of rain most of the time.
Perfect way to sum this season up.
January was cold as the North Pole but no snow then we get a rain event every time we’re supposed to have snow.

ThatGuy

i dont mind 'donating' to magic in the form of my sunday pass, but i am def bummed to underutilize it and i may not buy it again, since I'll get 2 + a discount day via indy. i can a la carte other days i guess.
Save a couple hundred that way most likely. Especially with how winters have been trending recently in SoVt.

MG Skier

I skied Sunday 3/13, and I have to say that Magic really went the extra mile to give a great product last weekend. I am thinking in line with you folks that I need to get another day in over the weekend while I can. I did very little tree skiing this year. For the record Disappearing Act was not much fun Sunday with no base under the snow, but I "skied" it. Who knows, maybe March goes out like a Lion..? Grrrrrr?

JimG.

Staff member
You realize if you do that it will be a record snowfall year at Magic next season right?

ThatGuy

I skied Sunday 3/13, and I have to say that Magic really went the extra mile to give a great product last weekend. I am thinking in line with you folks that I need to get another day in over the weekend while I can. I did very little tree skiing this year. For the record Disappearing Act was not much fun Sunday with no base under the snow, but I "skied" it. Who knows, maybe March goes out like a Lion..? Grrrrrr?
Would love to end the season with a bang but unfortunately the 10-day doesn’t look good for Magic (or most of the East Coast).
Hope next year is more snowy but as @NYDB said it seems like this is the new trend for SoVT.

slatham

There is a glimmer of hope IF Magic can survive this weeks warm and wet, and IF the models continue to trend cooler. There is a storm mid next week that could go the white way - and of course might not. But there is hope right now. IMHO they would need more snow - not just cold - next week to pull off an opening the weekend of March 26th.

drjeff

These mid March melt fests are becoming the new norm as opposed to the former "snowiest month" marketing spin for March unfortnately.

Seems like mother nature gets real ugly for too long in March lately and then, after it;s too late for many resorts, gets back to some "normal" temps and maybe even a snow event or 2 once it's too late for many.... ugh