• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Newpylong

Possibly, if there is indeed a pressure restraint on that 300 line. Assuming there is isn't you could just let them both rip on it at the service setpoint. The small pump will probably go up to 60 Hz (flat out) and the larger will start lower then ramp up as needed.

But you couldn't do that on the upper line because the pump curve is probably way different and with lower TDH the small pump would provide additional volume but not at the working pressure to reach the higher elevations. The big pump would not be able to boost that much volume since it is a wet pet itself. The result would be worse than the 400 pump alone running.

It looked like they were making snow late last night and now it's 18 degrees and they appear to be shutdown. Wonder if something blew up. I think they were trying to add depth to Hocus and Talisman for the weekend?

tnt1234

Sounds like conditions aren't great after that storm. Deep freeze crusting things over? Anyone there today?

Edd

Was thinking about hitting Magic for the first time next week but the snow report is not encouraging.

chuckstah

Was thinking about hitting Magic for the first time next week but the snow report is not encouraging.
Friend that patrols there said it's not worth rushing up there right now, but at least there's a base now. If Tuesdays storm comes through thursday should be good. Bring your B team skis and you'll have a good day.

drjeff

Not sure how much different what fell about 20 miles due North at Magic was vs the 3-4" of DENSE snow with a decent crust on top off of my deck at Mount Snow.

My guess is you break through the crust and you are immediately at what little base snow is below it.

Need next week's storm chances to deliver and it could get good

skithetrees

Actually not bad at all today on the open stuff. Bit of a crust if you go off groomed, but better than I thought. Groomers skied fairly well. They were making snow all day on hocus pocus and the wizard runout.

slatham

^concur. Skied all natural and ungroomed Up Your Sleeve and it had been skied enough that the crust was broken and it was very nice packed powder/sleet/broken crust. They plan to groom it tonight so tomorrow it will be nice. Otherwise I stayed on groomers which were good, even the thinner naturals like LMC and Kinderspiel.

Snowmaking active on Hocus Pocus and Tali run out. They plan to hit Tali steeps tonight. All to build base for spring. If all goes well they plan to hit middle Wizard to have that as a spring option too.

Put anything north of 6” on that mountain and its game on for all but the steep 3. 10”+ and every go. I’m away next week so count on it!

tnt1234

I have till Wednesday to cancel a room in Manchester for next weekend. Gonna be a nail biter. Little rain in the forecast Thursday now...

ne_skier

Total sleeper day today. Groomers skied fresh in the morning and after a little crust busting, Twilight Zone and Slide of Hans became nice, albeit thin runs. The real steeps are too thin to ski but it’s all white with almost no green sticking through, so whatever falls next week should stick real easy.
Major snowmaking effort on the mountain as well - Wand Carumba intersection, Hocus Pocus, Little Dipper, Talisman runout, Middle/Lower Wizard and the base area all being coated throughout the day. Middle and Lower Wizard have some monster whales on them that should groom out nicely.

IceEidolon

Hey, someone was asking several pages ago if they ever made snow on Middle Wizard - I guess this is the answer.

JoeB-Z

Next you know they will make snow on Sorceror again! They gave it one shot last year. They seem commited to keeping the West side going into April. The skiing was quite good on the groomers on Friday. Unfortunately my knees are just shot at this point in my life. So a pass today (as busy and cold) so I can ski tomorrow.

skithetrees

Hey, someone was asking several pages ago if they ever made snow on Middle Wizard - I guess this is the answer.
They made snow on wizard today from the talisman intersection all the way to the base. That with some base area snow making and hocus pocus, and that is the most snow I have ever seen them make at once. The piles on wizard were the biggest I have ever seen there. Wish they had done this for Christmas, but props to them for going so hard now.

IceEidolon

There's some fairly good reasons and some unfortunate reasons Wizard didn't get hammered before Christmas, but fingers crossed for a much more boring start-up process next year.

I'm still not hoping for West Side snowmaking before Christmas, but Upper Carpet and Trick...

tnt1234

Any weather gurus have thoughts on this weekend? Friday looks like a good hance for a nice snow, but rain thrusday?

Thoughts?

Have till Wednesday to cancel my room and decide to drive to stowe where I can crash at a friends. Hoping to avoid the long drive though.

ThatGuy

What days were you going to be there?
Saturday should be a good day with how things are looking.

NYDB

if that friday night storm delivers saturday will be great. if you don't mind 15 min liftlines on red. they will be sold out for sure so reserve your tix in advance.