• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

zoomzoom

all aerial lifts must have an APU spec'd to start, run and control 110% of the rated lift capacity and must be wired into the e-stop circuit. minimum line speed is 100fpm, concurrently all carriers must be unloaded of passengers within an hour. the designer may specify that a secondary "prime mover" be installed, typically diesel, to save elec costs during peak elec consumption periods. in this scenario, the electric motor acts as the APU.

many larger, critical lifts have an electric prime mover, a diesel secondary mover, another small diesel smaller for the evac drive. if you see ski-lifts still operating during a power failure, they're on the secondary diesel drive, with a smaller diesel acting as an the evac drive. stratton gondola has this system, as does K1 gondola at the K.

ps: am not certain that the evac motor on the red is diesel.

Last edited:

urungus

When they do a diesel evac, do they take the people on the chairs to the top, so at least they get one more run in, or do they run the lift in reverse ?

Newpylong

Only detaches can run in reverse and it's very rare. They will unload the lift very slowly going forward.

In regards to Bromley and Stratton vs Magic power. Bromley has the benefit to being directly on Rt 11 and Stratton has far more electrical infrastructure due to the sheer build out of the Village and area. Magic while not far from Rt 11 is in the boonies relative to both of them.

When power is interrupted, they triage restoration.

I was on Red when the power went out today. They took us to the top, albiet very slowly. I was around tower 6 when it stopped so it took about 25 mins to reach the top from that point

ThatGuy

I knew it was going to be a shitshow…looks like the lines were out of control before the lift shutdown so if you got 3 runs in you were lucky.

AdironRider

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you that Magic couldn't handle the best day of the season.

ne_skier

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you that Magic couldn't handle the best day of the season.
Magic is already scrambling to try and get lifts and snowmaking in, and now they're responsible for all of South VT's electrical grid too? Hate to say it but Geoff might be biting off more than he can chew here.

slatham

Yo dude, GMP stands for Green Mountian Power, not Green Magic Power. But I guess ignorance is bliss.

And to answer a question upstream on Bromley and power, yes they do have a great advantage of being on RT 11. But they lost power on a powder day (6” so a “normal” powder day) in January. 8:15 am. The big difference was there were not widespread issues - unlike today - so GMP got there quickly and resolved issues.

Bunch of other areas had issues too, Catamount and Berkshire East to name 2.

machski

Look, could Magic insulate itself from grid outages? Sure, especially on Black they could add a full AUX and back up APU. Those are not cheap however, both to get/install and to maintain. Most of the time you see those setups on main lifts in the Detach realms. Beyond that, if Magic isn't a huge power customer (very doubtful given their smaller Snowmaking plant and few lifts), then they won't be prioritized during outage events. Just how it works.

ThatGuy

Power outage is Mother Nature at work and expected, especially when alot of the surrounding area had no power already. The consistent 30+ min lines is the bigger problem in my book. I get the mountain has to make money but it makes you not want to get a pass when every “good” day has enormous lines.

skithetrees

Power outage is Mother Nature at work and expected, especially when alot of the surrounding area had no power already. The consistent 30+ min lines is the bigger problem in my book. I get the mountain has to make money but it makes you not want to get a pass when every “good” day has enormous lines.
The 30 minute lines are pretty much exclusively after a big snow. Not their fault that everyone realizes it’s the best place to ski after a storm and I certainly don’t fault them for paying the bills. I mean, I guess they could cut ticket sales (or van Indy pass) and double the price on powder days, would that make people happy? The other 95% of the days with hardly any line and empty trails more than make up for it to me.

skithetrees

The 30 minute lines are pretty much exclusively after a big snow. Not their fault that everyone realizes it’s the best place to ski after a storm and I certainly don’t fault them for paying the bills. I mean, I guess they could cut ticket sales (or van Indy pass) and double the price on powder days, would that make people happy? The other 95% of the days with hardly any line and empty trails more than make up for it to me.
A72B0261-5767-42D4-93D7-661467B3FEF4.png

I mean, it could be worse.

ThatGuy

I mean yes those are two options I agree with…more limited Indy and 25% increase on ticket price for powder days would probably make a great difference. Also I’m glad the mountain is making money its just a balance has to be found. I wish more people would come on non powder days I don’t need a private mountain rental.
View attachment 57553

I mean, it could be worse.
that picture is fake I was there today did 25 runs…

ne_skier

Here's what to expect groomed tomorrow from Magic's snow report. Obviously can't get to everything at once, especially with 3 feet of snow to work with, so it looks like they're packing it down in intervals, so to speak, with a priority on the low angle stuff.

1678931132398.png