• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

BenedictGomez

It'll provide (most) racers a faster route up with shorter lines,

The weekend I spent at Magic last year the lines were insane and I imagine at least 25% of it must have been due to the race league(s) going on, so I guess that makes sense. I could see it being good for beginners and low-intermediates wanting to lap that terrain too, though I always wonder what percentage of those folks take that option at XYZ mountain rather than going up to the top anyway.

Do Work

My first time at Magic last year and I was blown away how the cruisers are really some of the best around. I went to Magic for the trees and steeps. I expected them to be awesome and they were awesome. The surprise was really good cruisers. And most Magic users are hitting the steeps. So what that means is you find corduroy after lunch. I would absolutely recommend Magic for the beginner skier over some of the more crowded places. Lots of room. Few traverses. No idiots blasting by. And the Green Chair only makes it better.

I tell people this all the time and they never believe me. Sure, Stratton is known far and wide for it's quality grooming but with thousands of people skiing it you're scraped down to ice relatively very quickly. Magic's limited day ticket sales cap along with a demographic that looks to the trees pretty much guarantees that when the trail count is up, the cruising will be top notch all day long. Also once trials like Kinderspiel are groomed out, it's undulating double fall line and cool rollers make carving up the cord a joy you may not have expected.

Magic has so many more advantages than people realize, and the one-trick-pony "only go on a pow day" adage is dying off pretty quickly (thank God)

Killingtime

I tell people this all the time and they never believe me. Sure, Stratton is known far and wide for it's quality grooming but with thousands of people skiing it you're scraped down to ice relatively very quickly. Magic's limited day ticket sales cap along with a demographic that looks to the trees pretty much guarantees that when the trail count is up, the cruising will be top notch all day long. Also once trials like Kinderspiel are groomed out, it's undulating double fall line and cool rollers make carving up the cord a joy you may not have expected.

Enough already with this. I'm getting ready to trade in my Beast Pass and buy a Magic Pass. But seriously, I'm looking forward to skiing with you guys this year. Just have to work in some days now.

JamaicaMan

My first time at Magic last year and I was blown away how the cruisers are really some of the best around. I went to Magic for the trees and steeps. I expected them to be awesome and they were awesome. The surprise was really good cruisers. And most Magic users are hitting the steeps. So what that means is you find corduroy after lunch. I would absolutely recommend Magic for the beginner skier over some of the more crowded places. Lots of room. Few traverses. No idiots blasting by. And the Green Chair only makes it better.

[emoji123][emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

RustyGroomer

I'll say it again. Some of the best Magic days are the non-powder days. The skiing is fantastic & things are less urgent relaxed. It's not rocket science but if you want someone to show you around Killingtime, I certainly would be happy to.

Attachments

• Black.jpg
    Black.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 127

ShadyGrove

I'll say it again. Some of the best Magic days are the non-powder days. The skiing is fantastic & things are less urgent relaxed. It's not rocket science but if you want someone to show you around Killingtime, I certainly would be happy to.

RG is your man when looking for a tour d'Magique.

I'll second his thoughts about Magic on non-pow days. There were fantastic turns to be had days and day after snow falls last year (not just in March) because the mountain ops knows how to treat natural snow and doesn't just groom it into oblivion. When it needs grooming they are on it, but don't destroy the experience.

skicub

What routes are typically groomed? What runs are usually left totally natural, and which ones get a groomer touch up but aren’t always striped? I’m a decent skiier, but don’t always have the legs/ability for totally gnarly stuff. Thanks!

slatham

What routes are typically groomed? What runs are usually left totally natural, and which ones get a groomer touch up but aren’t always striped? I’m a decent skiier, but don’t always have the legs/ability for totally gnarly stuff. Thanks!

Actually the real question is what is the plan this year? With more snowmaking, Green running, and more people, I would expect Brownie to have a longer "to do list", if not a friend helping?

Also, keep in mind that typically a Magic trail groomed yesterday (but not again overnight) will usually ski like other area's overnight groomed trails ski at say 10 or 11am? I've actually been meaning to ask JM and DW to consider noting this on the trail report so people know that while not freshly groomed, the trail will ski like a groomer and not a bump run....

But last year core groomers (once they had required base) were U/L Magic Carpet, Medium, Trick, Wand, Show Off, Carumba, Hocus Pocus, Kinderspiel. Up Your Sleeve and Mystery are often groomed. I'd call Vertigo "occasional"?

Once a man made base is down, Talisman is usually groomed at least one side (like 2/3 groomed).

But again, not all of these trails would be done each and every night.

Or at least that's what I recall.

And you have to keep your eye open for Brownie doing something special.

cdskier

Also, keep in mind that typically a Magic trail groomed yesterday (but not again overnight) will usually ski like other area's overnight groomed trails ski at say 10 or 11am? I've actually been meaning to ask JM and DW to consider noting this on the trail report so people know that while not freshly groomed, the trail will ski like a groomer and not a bump run....

I've often thought it would be an interesting idea for a trail report in general at many areas to show the last date a trail was groomed for trails that are groomed less frequently.

Do Work

Generally the east side is groomed out. Upper Carpet/Medium/TTW/Wand/Trick and LMC/Sleeve if natural allows. This year we are adding LMC to snowmaking so that should help east side flow, especially when Green is running early. Still some figuring out to do in terms of how long LMC will take to blow in since it was never effectively used in the first place, but that's data we are eager to ascertain. Also Kinder, Hokey Pokey, Showoff and mystery all generally get groomed once there's snow there.

Also we will generally groom out all of Wiz, Broomstick and the switchback down black/magician. Talisman gets groomed for races and I am really stoked to make snow on Sorcerer again- no idea when that last time that happened was. We only do the runout on Magician.

Killingtime, come see what all the fuss is about, you won't be sorry you did! Magic is such a well kept secret it almost put the place out of business! It's got it all, but it's a horse of a different color from anywhere else around, no doubt.

Killingtime

Killingtime, come see what all the fuss is about, you won't be sorry you did! Magic is such a well kept secret it almost put the place out of business! It's got it all, but it's a horse of a different color from anywhere else around, no doubt.

Yep DW, I'll definitely stop in and say hello. Been looking at your trail map alot. You and JM do a good job at conveying your passion for the place. Sometimes its not always about vert and skiable acres.

Do Work

Sometimes its not always about vert and skiable acres.

Oh, it is... But "on paper" and IRL are two completely different things. It's easy to let the big guys' marketing schtick and BS trail counts infiltrate our decision making abilities. What we have here no map could ever show, and no number could ever accurately portray- I feel it will always be a savvy skier's mountain for that very reason.

RustyGroomer

Accurate portrayal of DoWork is his natural state....

Attachments

• MattPowder-1.jpg
    MattPowder-1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 154