• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow says they cleared a bunch of new woods.

Jully

Not heart pumping obviously, but second the Bretton Woods mention. If you are trying to get an intermediate comfortable in the trees before a trip to Steamboat for example, the BW trees are some of the best for introducing a newb to that side of the sport.

I like the Ragged trees on Ragged proper (not Spear/Ravine) for intermediate glades too!

Jully

I've never been but an old co-worker was always trying to get me to go there. Its a shame NH lift tickets seem tough to get good deals on.

The ride and ski card provides pretty good deals at a few NH resorts. VT is definitely better though for deals.

Don't ski MS often, but the few times I have I found the woods off of Nitro chair (mine shaft/tunnel vision area) at Carinthia weren't bad. Lines were good. Safety meetings helped!

I'm not a snowboarder, but would venture over for some fun.

rtibbs4

Website
www.basecampmountsnow.com
We made Mount Snow our main mountain this year and had some feedback from our experience.

North Face: Most people know the trees off Olympic. Fun with mix of difficulties but we felt the trees to the right of the challenger lift line were the most challenging and fun on that side of the mountain.

Main Face: We really enjoyed the right side of Ridge. It is obvious there was clearing here. You can actually jump in and out of the trees all the way down to the top of the tumbleweed lift. My young sons loved this area and we had the most fun on the mountain together here.

Sunbrook: Darkside of the moon..definite clearing, challenging and fun but the surprise was the right side of Big Dipper. I don't think there has been any official clearing here but plenty of open lines through the alders and pines. Don't go too far or you may be hiking back up to the bottom of the Sunbrook lift.

Do Work

There's no such this as tree skiing south of Killington, other than at the most amazing mountain in the entire skiing universe which represents all that is good and wholesome, Magic.

/thread

dlague

I've never been but an old co-worker was always trying to get me to go there. Its a shame NH lift tickets seem tough to get good deals on.

Mid season is tough at BW for deals. We used to go with my brother in law that lived in Coos County and we would ski the afternoons for $25. Ride and Ski has a mid season Saturday as part of their tour.

Other Nh Deals with The Ride and Ski Card are Waterville sun-fri 2 for 1, Ragged Sun-Fri 2 for 1, Whaleback everyday 2 for 1 Crotched M-F 2 for 1

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Glad you could find some joy out of my dripping sarcasm.

There's no such this as tree skiing south of Killington, other than at the most amazing mountain in the entire skiing universe which represents all that is good and wholesome, Magic. Besides that, tree skiing doesn't exist. The wild unicorns attack the gapers unlucky enough to enter such woods. It's all flatly groomed boulevards with higher person-to-trail densities than an 1890s Manhatten Tenement building. The only place worthy of skiing south of the VT/NH border is Sundown, which reigns king of the Flatlands. All other Flatland ski areas are mere mortals compared to the godliness of ski Sundown, where the moguls are always round on it's 500 feet of insane vertical gnarliness.

I don't remember posting this at all last year...it's funny though.

Do Work

Of course not- they have a double black diamond so they're pretty legit.

Pfffffff

By the powers vested in me, I hereby dock thee four GNAR points and condemn you to a penance of four sequential runs down Madonna liftline. **Thanks be to the Fixed Grips**

Domeskier

Of course not- they have a double black diamond so they're pretty legit. I don't know if it attracts the extreme Big Wall skiers of Whiteface though...

That's what I thought. Take the Big Walls at Whiteface, crank up the pitch and throw in some Connecticut grade wall moguls and maybe those guys will get a rough idea of what it's like to ski Satan's Staircase in optimal conditions. Does Whiteface even have a double black diamond?

Jcb890

I'm usually pretty good at picking up on sarcasm, but you guys make it a challenge sometimes.

You're speaking of Satan's Stairway at Ski Sundown? That's the sarcasm part, right? Man, I must sound dumb! :lol:

Domeskier

I'm usually pretty good at picking up on sarcasm, but you guys make it a challenge sometimes.

You're speaking of Satan's Stairway at Ski Sundown? That's the sarcasm part, right? Man, I must sound dumb! :lol:

It would be singularly unwise to treat the Stairway with anything but the utmost awe and respect. I'm not sure why I can never get its name right...

dlague

That's what I thought. Take the Big Walls at Whiteface, crank up the pitch and throw in some Connecticut grade wall moguls and maybe those guys will get a rough idea of what it's like to ski Satan's Staircase in optimal conditions. Does Whiteface even have a double black diamond?

You are onto something - neither do Jay Peak or Cannon. That run must be something else!

Jcb890

Wachusett has TWO!!!! black diamond trails. They're definitely as challenging as any black diamond trail out there. I don't notice much difference between 10th Mountain Trail or Smith Walton and Superstar.

Jully

Wachusett has TWO!!!! black diamond trails. They're definitely as challenging as any black diamond trail out there. I don't notice much difference between 10th Mountain Trail or Smith Walton and Superstar.

I think they're both slightly harder than Tramline at Cannon, another single black.

Do Work

I just want to say that I heard Magic is adding a triple diamond tree run next season. #spotlightstolen

ironhippy

My local hill has a double black diamond pitch.

While I agree it's kind of ridiculous, that one pitch, although short, is significantly steeper than anything else on the hill and the conditions can be very sketchy, so rating it as harder than everything else makes sense.