• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

small suv good in snow

Whitey

On the Tacoma comment, 4wd beats awd every time. 4wd also keeps the wheels turning even in braking, awd does not, or much less so. However, pickups have a nasty habit of surprising you with a 360 or 720 on a curve. The rear end lets go, and then wants to pass you. If you've never experienced it, trust me, its an eye opener. Seen it in 3 different trucks.

That's why you won't catch me up in the mountains on a snowy day/night without 3-400 lbs of sandbags in the back. Doesn't 100% eliminate the fishtail effect of pickups, but does pretty well to reduce it to a minimum. I find that on-demand 4WD helps a lot as most of the time when I've had a fishtail it's because I am in 2wd and the rear wheels break free when you accelerate and the rear tires spin out.

yeggous

That's why you won't catch me up in the mountains on a snowy day/night without 3-400 lbs of sandbags in the back. Doesn't 100% eliminate the fishtail effect of pickups, but does pretty well to reduce it to a minimum. I find that on-demand 4WD helps a lot as most of the time when I've had a fishtail it's because I am in 2wd and the rear wheels break free when you accelerate and the rear tires spin out.

You need sandbags? Clear sign that you need to buy more ski gear. Works like a champ for me.

hammer

2013 Outback or later. Newer engine.
Hope you are right but will have to wait until enough of those vehicles gets the mileage up to where the problems usually occur.

Have had 2 Subarus, one a 1998 Outback that needed head gaskets at around 125K miles ($2000 not covered by warranty) and the other a 2009 Impreza that needed head gaskets at just under 80K miles (covered by goodwill warranty). Aside from that they both were/have been pretty reliable.

If I get another Subaru in the future I would go for the 6 cylinder engine which from what I can tell has never had this issue. FWIW I have found their AWD does better than the AWD systems I have had on Toyota and Volvo...but I didn't/don't have complaints on the Toyota or Volvo systems either.

yeggous

Hope you are right but will have to wait until enough of those vehicles gets the mileage up to where the problems usually occur.

Have had 2 Subarus, one a 1998 Outback that needed head gaskets at around 125K miles ($2000 not covered by warranty) and the other a 2009 Impreza that needed head gaskets at just under 80K miles (covered by goodwill warranty). Aside from that they both were/have been pretty reliable.

If I get another Subaru in the future I would go for the 6 cylinder engine which from what I can tell has never had this issue. FWIW I have found their AWD does better than the AWD systems I have had on Toyota and Volvo...but I didn't/don't have complaints on the Toyota or Volvo systems either.

The 6-cylinder drinks oil like a sailor on leave. So far this hasn't show to be correlated to mechanical failures, but is disconcerting at least.

hammer

The 6-cylinder drinks oil like a sailor on leave. So far this hasn't show to be correlated to mechanical failures, but is disconcerting at least.
Oh well, guess that rules that one out as well.

Good thing for now is that my 2009 S40 is still running well at 112K miles. Not in any hurry to take on a car payment. Did have some front wheel bearing and transmission leak issues a few months ago but those seem to be resolved.

If I were in the market, I think I would be looking at a CUV.

yeggous

Oh well, guess that rules that one out as well.

Good thing for now is that my 2009 S40 is still running well at 112K miles. Not in any hurry to take on a car payment. Did have some front wheel bearing and transmission leak issues a few months ago but those seem to be resolved.

If I were in the market, I think I would be looking at a CUV.

Regarding the oil issue, the raw data:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

The Talking Cars episode:

Hawkshot99

Buy yourself a 4 door toyota tacoma, put a cap on the back, some decent tires, and about 3-400 lbs of sandbags in the back when it snows. And then never worry about getting anywhere, anytime, in any conditions ever again. Best ski trip vehicle ever.

I am on my 3rd Tacoma, each one went well over 200K miles with nothing much more than tires, brakes, and maintenance.
02a53c0c99c571764fd303770ac764fe.jpg

Here is my ski day vehicle. I don't currently have a cap but I am keeping a eye out for a used one (refuse to pay $2k for a new one). I have a sliding tonnue cover and then the Thule box above the bed. I can carry a lot of gear and I think it looks cool.
The long bed greatly helps over the shorter bed in the snow. I drove this truck only 1 time in the snow last year, but the tires on it truly sucked. I just ordered new AT tires this morning for it. Went with the largest size I can fit without a lift kit.
My dad has the same truck as me but older and it's done very well in the snow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawkshot99

When comparing tires for driving in snow different types of snow will require different tires designs.
If driving on paved roads with soft snow you want a tall skinny tire. This will cut down to the pavement to get traction.
On deep bottomless snow while offroading you would want a wider tire to provide flotation.
Obviously both options would want a softer tire to get better bite.

cdskier

From what article:
Audi, BMW, and Subaru stick firmly to the statement that oil consumption is a normal part of a car’s operation. Subaru considers a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable. Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is reasonable.

Wow, and here it bothers me that my 07 Avalanche with 235K miles on it burns a quart every 3K miles or so.

Hawkshot99

My friends mom just got her v6 engine replaced in her 14 or 15 Subaru. It was drinking the oil down like crazy. They went and did a test and it used almost a quart in 500 miles, so she got a new engine.

tree_skier

my wife has a 15 forester and love it, son has a 13 Tiguan just got it so unsure of snow but he loves it. wife had a couple of pilots i hated the traction control, made it a horrible snow/ice vehicle, it cut power with wheel spin so going up a icey hill was awful. but i will say this tires make all the difference. With my Chevy silverado crew cab and studded snow i hardly ever feel the need to put it in four wheel.

xwhaler

02a53c0c99c571764fd303770ac764fe.jpg

I drove this truck only 1 time in the snow last year, but the tires on it truly sucked. I just ordered new AT tires this morning for it. Went with the largest size I can fit without a lift kit.
My dad has the same truck as me but older and it's done very well in the snow.

Great looking Taco! I had an 08 4 cyl 5 spd Access Cab that I ran for 115k miles before trading in for an 07 Tundra (needed more space with 2 kids + dog)
I assume you had the Dunlop GrandTreks as the OEM tire? If so, truly awful and Toyota should be embarrassed they put that poor excuse for a tire on any vehicle much less a 4x4 truck.
I was happy when I had a blowout and replaced them at 40k with Firestone AT's.

What did you end up going with? I just put the Falken Wildpeak ATW3's on my Tundra (Hybrid all terrain/mud terrain and has the severe snowflake symbol typically reserved only for dedicated snow tires.)
Can't wait to get them out in the snow

Last edited:

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
My friends mom just got her v6 engine replaced in her 14 or 15 Subaru. It was drinking the oil down like crazy. They went and did a test and it used almost a quart in 500 miles, so she got a new engine.

Subaru does not make a V6! They build a flat 6. That engine was a one off issue.

Hawkshot99

Great looking Taco! I had an 08 4 cyl 5 spd Access Cab that I ran for 115k miles before trading in for an 07 Tundra (needed more space with 2 kids + dog)
I assume you had the Dunlop GrandTreks as the OEM tire? If so, truly awful and Toyota should be embarrassed they put that poor excuse for a tire on any vehicle much less a 4x4 truck.
I was happy when I had a blowout and replaced them at 40k with Firestone AT's.

What did you end up going with? I just put the Falken Wildpeak ATW3's on my Tundra (Hybrid all terrain/mud terrain and has the severe snowflake symbol typically reserved only for dedicated snow tires.)
Can't wait to get them out in the snow
I bought the truck used at 40k. The tires were bald so I told the dealer "if you want me to buy it you need to put new tires on it". The originals were most likely the Dunlop. The dealer replaced them with West Lake tires. Some shifty Chinese tires. They are rock hard and have no traction. I've put 20k on it, and approaching the wear bars....
The tires I bought are Hancook Dynapro ATM in a 265/70/17 so a inch taller. I looked at the Faulkens but they are a bit heavier.

x10003q

Maybe look into the new VW Golf All Track? I'm assuming it has the same AWD system as Audi without paying for the luxury brand premium.

I'm a huge Mazda homer for their driving dynamics and the very good reliability I've enjoyed. That said, I've read the AWD system on the CX5 is just mediocre.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

In the US, VW mostly uses a Haldex awd system. It operates mostly as front wheel drive. This is in the Tiguan, Sportwagon, Golf R. It is also found in the Audi A3, S3, Q3. These are also transverse engines which is why they use Haldex. Many awd Volvos use Haldex, also. It is an electric and hydraulic system currently.

All other audis and the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne use a mechanical Torsen center differential for the awd. These are all longitude mount engines. I have had Torsen/quattro audis and VWs since the late 1980s on all season tires and have never had any problems or issues dealing with snow.

delco714

Ford escape on blizzak..yeah..tank

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk