• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chairlift Death

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snowbird has bars on all its lifts. Most of the lifts at Alta now have bars, though locals don't use them.

Yes. Only Wildcat, Cecret, and Albion Doubles have no bars. I imagine that insurers are requiring them now.

Hawkshot99

If I am by myself I will only use a bar 25% of the time. But I do like knowing the bar is there if I want it. When riding with others, I will let them dictate up or down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
It may be that the backs fold down when not in use to keep the seats snow free.

The big advantage of a bar, is that there is at least something to push against, other than air, to keep the kids in the seat.

I'm pretty sure that the chairs DO have backs. You just can't see them in that picture. Look below:

qickdraw-express.png

img_1911.jpg

img_1995.jpg

img_1882.jpg

Couple interesting notes. First, it's a Leitner HSQ that is similar to the Flyer at Jay. I don't think that many pure "Leitner" HSQs were built in the US. Leitner and Poma merged shortly thereafter.

Second, two of the articles mention witness reports that the chair swung into a sign or the tower. Look closely at the pics and you will see odd cross-arm structures that "step down" towards the haul rope and some big signs on the towers. It will be interesting to see if the chair was blowing in the wind, if Mom was sitting on the inside causing it to lean in, or if they were swinging the chair such that it hit the tower. A long ways to go on this one I think in figuring out what happened and who is to blame.

dlague

Every lift at Loveland have no safely bars. The Pauli double at A Basin doesn't either and we have run across others else where around here. I have height issues so it was a bit weird at first. The local's never use the bars or very few.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

I'm pretty sure that the chairs DO have backs. You just can't see them in that picture. Look below:

qickdraw-express.png

img_1911.jpg

img_1995.jpg

img_1882.jpg

Couple interesting notes. First, it's a Leitner HSQ that is similar to the Flyer at Jay. I don't think that many pure "Leitner" HSQs were built in the US. Leitner and Poma merged shortly thereafter.

Second, two of the articles mention witness reports that the chair swung into a sign or the tower. Look closely at the pics and you will see odd cross-arm structures that "step down" towards the haul rope and some big signs on the towers. It will be interesting to see if the chair was blowing in the wind, if Mom was sitting on the inside causing it to lean in, or if they were swinging the chair such that it hit the tower. A long ways to go on this one I think in figuring out what happened and who is to blame.
Something just seems fishy about that report that the chair swung enough to hit some part of the tower and cause the Mom and her kids to fall off....

Those chairs, even before you put anyone on them, weigh over 200lbs a piece. The grip is designed to physically grip, and not rotate on the haul rope. It takes a breeze of roughly 25-30mph to even get a chair rocking 10 degrees or so in any direction. It takes a bunch of effort by a person to rock a chair, and frankly as a parent I couldn't fathom another parent, putting as much effort, if it's even possible, to physically cause a chair to rock the close to 30 degrees it would take to approach banging into part of the tower, let alone a mother with her 2 young kids on the chair with her! Heck in almost now 40yrs of skiing and thousands upon thousands of chairlift rides in that time frame, only once has a chair I was riding banged into a tower, and that was on the old riblet summit double near the summit of Bromley, with a heavy, gusty post Nor'easter wind hammering the summit. And heck, those chairs literally had glorified "cow catchers" just below the sheave assemblies to stop the chairs themselves from contacting the tower!!

It just feels like there's a significant, important key to this tragedy that is missing.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Something just seems fishy about that report that the chair swung enough to hit some part of the tower and cause the Mom and her kids to fall off....

Those chairs, even before you put anyone on them, weigh over 200lbs a piece. The grip is designed to physically grip, and not rotate on the haul rope. It takes a breeze of roughly 25-30mph to even get a chair rocking 10 degrees or so in any direction. It takes a bunch of effort by a person to rock a chair, and frankly as a parent I couldn't fathom another parent, putting as much effort, if it's even possible, to physically cause a chair to rock the close to 30 degrees it would take to approach banging into part of the tower, let alone a mother with her 2 young kids on the chair with her! Heck in almost now 40yrs of skiing and thousands upon thousands of chairlift rides in that time frame, only once has a chair I was riding banged into a tower, and that was on the old riblet summit double near the summit of Bromley, with a heavy, gusty post Nor'easter wind hammering the summit. And heck, those chairs literally had glorified "cow catchers" just below the sheave assemblies to stop the chairs themselves from contacting the tower!!

It just feels like there's a significant, important key to this tragedy that is missing.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

There was a recent death at Hunter from a fall where the skier hooked the lift ladder with their ski and was pulled off. Not sure if the bar was up or down ? An extended ski could hit the sign or pole ?

SIKSKIER

Seema pretty clear to me from the eyewitness that the chair hit the tower with no safety bar down.That would do it.Why would the guy watching it lie about the chair swinging and hitting the tower?

drjeff

There was a recent death at Hunter from a fall where the skier hooked the lift ladder with their ski and was pulled off. Not sure if the bar was up or down ? An extended ski could hit the sign or pole ?

I'm sure it could.

Scenario wise, I'm guessing (110% SPECULATING based on common stereotypes here!!)that this mom wasn't on a set of long skis with her DIN's cranked high enough not to release if her ski hit the tower. Also, most parents, mom's especially from what I see regularly, if they're skiing with multiple children and no other adult, tend to ride a chair sitting in between the kids, rather than out on the side of the chair.

Like I said, this is 110% speculation on my part, and why, from what I've scene and experienced first hand in my own almost 40 years of skiing, something just seems really funky here than led to this tragedy :dontknow::confused:

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I agree with Dr. Jeff that this seems odd, given that in addition to the mother, BOTH children fell. I can think of "bar up scenarios" where one child slips and the mother falls attempting to save her, or there's a chair hit and maybe 1 or 2 fall off, but the fact that all 3 departed the chair does seem really odd. Must have been incredibly violent if so.

dlague

I agree with Dr. Jeff that this seems odd, given that in addition to the mother, BOTH children fell. I can think of "bar up scenarios" where one child slips and the mother falls attempting to save her, or there's a chair hit and maybe 1 or 2 fall off, but the fact that all 3 departed the chair does seem really odd. Must have been incredibly violent if so.
They may have been a reaction to grab something hence taking to full Chair. It is amazing how many people come here to ski from Texas. Most make 1 trip maybe 2 per year, so their experiences are limited. Nothing really talks about there skills obviously the children have less experience but the Mom, well that is unclear. Are safety briefings going to be part of the skiing experience? Vail is heading in that direction.

Fallingdown

I don't know why anyone would ride without the bar down. So many things could happen that result in you falling out of the chair. I feel so sorry for these kids and mother. It is such a tragedy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't know why anyone would ride without the bar down. So many things could happen that result in you falling out of the chair. I feel so sorry for these kids and mother. It is such a tragedy.
There are people who believe that the bar being down prevents them from being able to jump if there is a problem and that jumping would improve the chance of survival or reduce injury instead of falling to the ground inside the chair. At least that's the rationale I've heard people explain behind their choice in riding chairs with the bar up.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Whatever reason someone gives for leaving the bar up, they do so at their choice (and peril). This sounds so much like the 'not wearing a seatbelt, so if I am in an accident, I can get out of the car faster before it starts to burn'.

Whatever the whole story ends up being, it is a sad story all around.

I was about to bring the seatbelt example up. Definitely a tragic story though.

njdiver85

Just wanted to add that a mother sitting on the end and then two much lighter weight kids sitting next to her creates a pretty decent weight imbalance in the chair. Just another potential contributing factor. Add in the fact that the bar was not down, and an unusually strong chair movement due to a fast stoppage. I've seen many cases where the lifty corrects the weight imbalance by asking people to spread out on the chair, but also plenty of times where two people are to the far side of a 4 person chair and the lifty doesn't catch it or ignores it, and the thing is terribly lopsided.

dlague

Just wanted to add that a mother sitting on the end and then two much lighter weight kids sitting next to her creates a pretty decent weight imbalance in the chair. Just another potential contributing factor. Add in the fact that the bar was not down, and an unusually strong chair movement due to a fast stoppage. I've seen many cases where the lifty corrects the weight imbalance by asking people to spread out on the chair, but also plenty of times where two people are to the far side of a 4 person chair and the lifty doesn't catch it or ignores it, and the thing is terribly lopsided.
Should lefties see that and correct it? Or is that not in their duties as assigned?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

I wonder if ski clothes and came into play .What was the weather like at the time? Back in the 80s I had a jacket that was faster than my K2 712's. Ended up sliding through an icy mogul field taking a beating, never wore that jacket again! I don't buy jackets often so I'm not up with current styles but what I wear has decent arresting characteristics .

VTKilarney

There are people who believe that the bar being down prevents them from being able to jump if there is a problem and that jumping would improve the chance of survival or reduce injury instead of falling to the ground inside the chair. At least that's the rationale I've heard people explain behind their choice in riding chairs with the bar up.
Kind of like the people who don't wear seat belts because they believe that seat belts can be more dangerous in certain accidents, such as submerging in water. These people are not at all smart, and certainly don't know how to weigh risks to achieve the highest degree of overall safety.

Smellytele

I wonder if ski clothes and came into play .What was the weather like at the time? Back in the 80s I had a jacket that was faster than my K2 712's. Ended up sliding through an icy mogul field taking a beating, never wore that jacket again! I don't buy jackets often so I'm not up with current styles but what I wear has decent arresting characteristics .
Mole skin jackets for all!