• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Skier's body found

Glenn

Very sad. The whistle is a good idea. Though I hope in the case of this woman her passing was instantaneous.

Here's a question. How advanced are cell phone tracking GPS functions now? If someone is unconscious in the woods, but their phone is on can that help rescuers locate them? I know people are always concerned about big brother, but if there was a way you could turn on a tracking feature for use while skiing, hiking, boating etc, I'd certainly use it

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I think if someone had access to their iTunes account, they could locate them via "Find my iPhone". I'm not sure if it'll work on just GPS or of you need GPS and a cell signal.

Tough news to hear. I feel for the family.

witch hobble

Very sad is right. Taft slalom was my final run of the day, mid afternoon.

Intentionally vague wording from press release to reporter. She "left" the trail and "entered" the woods.

Puck it

Very sad is right. Taft slalom was my final run of the day, mid afternoon.

Intentionally vague wording from press release to reporter. She "left" the trail and "entered" the woods.
I would guess she went off on the left side of the trail where the edge drops off sharply before the "Rock" as the trees are very dense up there.

witch hobble

Pure speculation. Who knows?

I just don't like PR speak when it is much more likely (speculating again) that there was no conscious decision to "leave" the trail and "enter" the woods.

Like WV withe their statement that the High Country double's problems come from guests "mis-loading" the chair.

Domeskier

Pure speculation. Who knows?

I just don't like PR speak when it is much more likely (speculating again) that there was no conscious decision to "leave" the trail and "enter" the woods.

Like WV withe their statement that the High Country double's problems come from guests "mis-loading" the chair.

It is definitely unclear to someone who hasn't skied Cannon whether she could have been intentionally skiing the trees when she was injured or whether she caught an edge on a trail and crashed into the woods. Given that she was found well after the fact, I guess it's possible that no one knows for sure.

ironhippy

I'm not sure if it'll work on just GPS or of you need GPS and a cell signal.

you absolutely need a cell signal or else the phone wouldn't be able to report where it is when you try to find it (nor would the phone know that you are trying to find it).

KustyTheKlown

My ski tracks app is pretty accurate. It has a bold disclaimer to not use it as a primary navigation tool, but if I were in some shit, and had enough service to text, id absolutely shoot a screenshot of my approximate location to helpers

Puck it

It is definitely unclear to someone who hasn't skied Cannon whether she could have been intentionally skiing the trees when she was injured or whether she caught an edge on a trail and crashed into the woods. Given that she was found well after the fact, I guess it's possible that no one knows for sure.
There are no trees of Taft that are skiable. Both sides are dense evergreens. The right side is only like 25 ft. to Upper Ravine.. The left side is dense just like the right side for most of the way down until you get near the wooden snow fence on the rollover. This has a signicant from this point down until just past the "Rock". It would be most likely the spot where a person would not be seen by anyone.

Domeskier

There are no trees of Taft that are skiable. Both sides are dense evergreens. The right side is only like 25 ft. to Upper Ravine.. The left side is dense just like the right side for most of the way down until you get near the wooden snow fence on the rollover. This has a signicant from this point down until just past the "Rock". It would be most likely the spot where a person would not be seen by anyone.

Ah. Then I understand witch hobble's complaint about the language. Terrible situation all around.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I have an idea for an Ap ....got to cut me in for a percentage please . Have a setting you can turn on when skiing and someone else can see your location . Also tied in with a G meter "sends out a signal" like an ELT for aviation .

Shuts off when you leave a certain activation area in case you forget to shut it off when leaving. Ski area can look to see if there has been no movement after a set time. Have a way to contact the person....no answer send out patrol.

Have spent time with a patroller freind sweeping the mountain at closing time and he told me about an unconsious skier they found one night. Small area compared to Cannon.

Glenn

I have an idea for an Ap ....got to cut me in for a percentage please . Have a setting you can turn on when skiing and someone else can see your location . Also tied in with a G meter "sends out a signal" like an ELT for aviation .

Shuts off when you leave a certain activation area in case you forget to shut it off when leaving. Ski area can look to see if there has been no movement after a set time. Have a way to contact the person....no answer send out patrol.

Have spent time with a patroller freind sweeping the mountain at closing time and he told me about an unconsious skier they found one night. Small area compared to Cannon.

I thought something had been developed that attaches to your helmet and when it detects an impact, it will text/send a message to someone/someones. I can't remember the name of the device though.

SIKSKIER

I thought I would share the Franconia police chiefs FB post yesterday which refered to this accident.

Franconia Police Department

23 hrs ·

There is a bench in her kitchen, it was her grandfathers. Her sister said it sat in his basement and must have had nine coats of paint on it. It had been in the attic of her garage for 15 years. Her husband had it restored. His friend had disassembled it, repaired the broken parts, sanded it and lovingly put it back together. It was a gift to a wife from her husband. She loved it. This is a gift with no price. Better than foreign vacations or fancy cars because it says without words: I know your heart, I know what matters to you, I love you.

We may know each other’s hearts but we don’t know, in life, when they will stop beating. When they do, all too soon, they leave behind a family and life where they will be missed dearly. When someone dies, it is not just a press release; they are not a piece of information. Yesterday at Cannon Mountain siblings lost a sister, children lost their mother and a husband lost his wife. They woke up this morning and for one brief moment thought this day was like any other until they remembered she was gone.

It is not just the loss of the person, but the dreams of sharing a future: weddings, grandchildren, her love of skiing, a life together after retirement, sitting on a bench. We are very sorry for your loss. We hope in time that remembering, sharing stories, sitting together will fill you with peace in knowing that your wife, your mother, your sister will always be with you in your hearts.