• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier falls and dies on Mt Washington amugst multiple rescues this weekend

Mainer

If I ski tucks and need crampons it’s not the day for me. And I’ve skied it a bunch. There is no way to get to the lip without knowing it would be super icy. I went for a walk Saturday morning in the woods around my house in the MWV and what snow was left was ice. The signs were there on the way up. Bad decision that cost her her life.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So you know California is a dessert then?

California is a big place....not all desert, but a lot of it is. Kinda like how NH isn't all mountains.

What's your point?

If someone from Florida nearly dies on Mt Ranier while hiking in sneakers, will you say, "How were they to know it was dangerous?"

MidnightJester

Forestry update on Tuckerman's Ravine terrible weekend

one Ranger witnessed 15 people go up that day and 3 fell and broke themselves. A a 20% failure rate that day in that mans eyes. You wonder what the rangers looking through binoculars are thinking 🤔

Last edited:

abc

California is a big place....not all desert, but a lot of it is. Kinda like how NH isn't all mountains.

What's your point?

If someone from Florida nearly dies on Mt Ranier while hiking in sneakers, will you say, "How were they to know it was dangerous?"
Yes, I would still say that. Sure Rainier has a glacier. But not everyone knows what it is.

My point was, not too many people here knows that “big place” call California is part dessert. So they’re most likely are not reading up on hiking in dessert, or wild animals before they gone out on a short walk which then turn into a long hike because the weather is so nice, for a short while.

Do you know you come off as a bitch?
Of course I know! Deal with it!

And you a Jackass. Do you know THAT?

2Planker

Her boyfriend was D/C'd today after 3 days in Critical Condition.
Sure hope it was worth it....

One of these days I'm just gonna say - NO, Let them get them own asses out.
Tired of stupid people putting others in danger.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Yes, I would still say that. Sure Rainier has a glacier. But not everyone knows what it is.

My point was, not too many people here knows that “big place” call California is part dessert. So they’re most likely are not reading up on hiking in dessert, or wild animals before they gone out on a short walk which then turn into a long hike because the weather is so nice, for a short while.

Actually more of an asshole than a jackass. ;)

jimmywilson69

Her boyfriend was D/C'd today after 3 days in Critical Condition.
Sure hope it was worth it....

One of these days I'm just gonna say - NO, Let them get them own asses out.
Tired of stupid people putting others in danger.

D/C'd???

Did no one look at the conditions?

deadheadskier

Staff member

Okay, then we agree. Many people are unresearched and unprepared idiots. Like Mr Nike hiker.

But for crying out loud, you can see the summit from miles away. Practically every road up there has a view of it. You don't have to be an expedition trained mountaineer to look up at Washington and say, hmmm, that looks pretty darn cold and has lots of snow. Maybe I'm not prepared.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Okay, then we agree. Many people are unresearched and unprepared idiots. Like Mr Nike hiker.

But for crying out loud, you can see the summit from miles away. Practically every road up there has a view of it. You don't have to be an expedition trained mountaineer to look up at Washington and say, hmmm, that looks pretty darn cold and has lots of snow. Maybe I'm not prepared.
I’ve pretty much given up. I see so many folks on the 4,000 footer FB page doing really unsafe things and hiking unprepared and in bad conditions as if it is a badge of honor.

MidnightJester

I don't know the area except hiking it once in summer/fall. So when they say fell 600ft vertical. I am thinking its a NO FALL AREA or SLIP area and more of a tumbling RAGDOLL effect with impact damage along the way or is it a Straight fall off cliff edge and Wham/splat damage.

Last edited:

kingslug

Usually a tumble...down a 60 story building...
No way to self arrest most times.
I tumbled 200 feet once..patrol thought I was dead...fortunately it was only on clairs at Hunter...