• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

blow torch

bushpilot

Wildcat actually had the problem of it being too cold last spring. We skied mainly hardpack in April.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

That right there is the problem. Last year was cold but no snow. Snow making helped the mountains and the temperatures cooperated so it was still around in April. This year we have gotten a lot more snow but the temps are causing it to melt fast. The 5 feet we got in Feb is completely gone. Some of the snow making trails have a very minimal base. You'll be lucky to ski tax day. I think if we make it to April fools day we are lucky.

Take what the mountain gives you and enjoy!

I took what the mountain gave me today. It reminded me of something I stepped in and I didn't like the smell of it. We had fun but it was still shite!

bushpilot

I can't believe the crying here. Thus far this season has been a 6 or 7 out of 10. There was a two week period of epic eastern conditions. Base depths were as deep as they get. I saw some of the softest groomers ever, especially on Fridays.

Sure the last week was suboptimal but the fat lady has not yet sung. I go on a 10 day vacation starting a week from today. I am stoked.

I agree with DHS about last spring. It was too damn cold in April. I didn't really get any classic spring skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Up until two weeks ago it was a very good season for me at least. I work weekends so I got in on many of the mid week powder days. But I think the real problem is the apparent shortness of the season. The talk about the snow that was falling today but in all honesty it was a light dusting with no accumulation.

cdskier

That right there is the problem. Last year was cold but no snow. Snow making helped the mountains and the temperatures cooperated so it was still around in April. This year we have gotten a lot more snow but the temps are causing it to melt fast. The 5 feet we got in Feb is completely gone. Some of the snow making trails have a very minimal base. You'll be lucky to ski tax day. I think if we make it to April fools day we are lucky.

I'm having flashbacks to the 2011-2012 season where Mt Ellen looked like this on March 23rd...
IMG_2970.jpg

cm0311

Bretton Woods today. Had about 2" of fresh powder on top of packed groomers which actually made for a decent day. Still had some ice spots but to be expected.

Might hit Killington next....there snow report/snow gun promise for the weekend is tempting.

Kleetus

I can't believe the crying here. Thus far this season has been a 6 or 7 out of 10. There was a two week period of epic eastern conditions. Base depths were as deep as they get. I saw some of the softest groomers ever, especially on Fridays.

Sure the last week was suboptimal but the fat lady has not yet sung. I go on a 10 day vacation starting a week from today. I am stoked.

I agree with DHS about last spring. It was too damn cold in April. I didn't really get any classic spring skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

I wouldn't say crying more than just speaking the truth. Sure there was an epic 2 week stretch of conditions, but that's just it...it was 2 weeks. Sure conditions were good leading up to those 2 weeks, but they were also connected with thaws and meltdowns.

When things finally got real good, we get hit with an epic, record breaking meltdown followed by now cooldown and pretty crappy-ish to maybe OK conditions for at least the duration of the long range forecasts for now. It also hasn't been a great season for the southern areas with a big difference in snow between Northern VT and NH/ME and everywhere else.

The fat lady definitely hasn't sung, and this winter is without question better than last, but I wouldn't go as far as a 7 given where we are at right now. I'll take a little less snow and prolonged cold to preserve with little refreshes over a constant freeze thaw cycle followed by one real big dump that melts away a little over a week later.

I'm holding out hope we get one more dump, but things aren't looking promising right now.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

I wouldn't say crying more than just speaking the truth. Sure there was an epic 2 week stretch of conditions, but that's just it...it was 2 weeks. Sure conditions were good leading up to those 2 weeks, but they were also connected with thaws and meltdowns.

When things finally got real good, we get hit with an epic, record breaking meltdown followed by now cooldown and pretty crappy-ish to maybe OK conditions for at least the duration of the long range forecasts for now. It also hasn't been a great season for the southern areas with a big difference in snow between Northern VT and NH/ME and everywhere else.

The fat lady definitely hasn't sung, and this winter is without question better than last, but I wouldn't go as far as a 7 given where we are at right now. I'll take a little less snow and prolonged cold to preserve with little refreshes over a constant freeze thaw cycle followed by one real big dump that melts away a little over a week later.

I'm holding out hope we get one more dump, but things aren't looking promising right now.

Well said!

deadheadskier

Staff member

Speaking the truth for elsewhere, not Wildcat this year, which is what Yeggous was talking about.

Read through the Wildcat season thread. Outside of a ten day period around Christmas, 3 days around MLK and the recent meltdown, conditions have been good to great since December 1st. So call that 13 weeks. About 9 of those weeks Cat skiers have been pleased. 9 out of 13 weeks being great and also being 100% open from MLK pretty much up to March 1st is a really solid peak season in Pinkham Notch. There's still some base left, the guns are coming back on the next few days, so we all have hope for a good spring that carries us into late April.

I'm bummed about the recent turn of events, but still grateful for what I've skied this year and hopeful the end of the year holds some good fortune. That's very much the vibe of all Cat regulars I know this year.

Los

Speaking the truth for elsewhere, not Wildcat this year, which is what Yeggous was talking about.

Read through the Wildcat season thread. Outside of a ten day period around Christmas, 3 days around MLK and the recent meltdown, conditions have been good to great since December 1st. So call that 13 weeks. About 9 of those weeks Cat skiers have been pleased. 9 out of 13 weeks being great and also being 100% open from MLK pretty much up to March 1st is a really solid peak season in Pinkham Notch. There's still some base left, the guns are coming back on the next few days, so we all have hope for a good spring that carries us into late April.

I'm bummed about the recent turn of events, but still grateful for what I've skied this year and hopeful the end of the year holds some good fortune. That's very much the vibe of all Cat regulars I know this year.

Sounds like Wildcat was the place to be this year...

Kleetus

Just was speaking in general terms for NE (and NY for that mater) as a whole. There were definitely places, such as Wildcat, that sound like it was a different story.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

That sums things up right there. If temps stayed seasonable, we'd be doing really well right now. I could not believe the amount of snow that was on the ground when we rolled up to SoVT the Friday of President's Weekend. How quickly it faded.