• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

blow torch

BenedictGomez

Do you not enjoy skiing great moguls in April in 50 degree weather? That to me is the definition of great spring skiing in New England

Love it. But if it literally doesn't snow after February, the conditions are present that it's not likely you're going to be skiing great moguls in April in 50 degree weather, because you'll be doing that in March. We're going to need some more snow, and the next week isnt looking great either.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Love it. But if it literally doesn't snow after February, the conditions are present that it's not likely you're going to be skiing great moguls in April in 50 degree weather, because you'll be doing that in March. We're going to need some more snow, and the next week isnt looking great either.
I guess I can't follow your logic. The base depths last year were lower than they are right now. It hardly snowed in March and Killington had a great April.
They'll light up Superstar and Skylelark with snowmaking in the coming weeks and I'm sure there will be plenty of good days in April as long as it's warm.

Wildcat actually had the problem of it being too cold last spring. We skied mainly hardpack in April.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

Yeah, I call it a mixed bag.

Got out early in the catskills, had some good and one great day in December at Hunter, had a good VT x-mas break trip, then again some really good catskills days. But this weekend looks like a crap get away to N. vt and feel like our last spring hooray to S. vt. late march could have limited options without some more snow...that trip will be fun regardless because all we are looking for is some soft bumps and family fun, but might have to go further north than we were thinking.

This weekend hurts though - short of some late surprise.

So our season started off great, and petered out early. Sucks to live in NJ and miss the epic days up north.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Blow torch over- anyone skiing Saturday is certainly dedicated. Double-digit negative windchill values all day Saturday just to go out and ski fast groomers. Anyways, next Wednesdays rain storm looks like it'll be less rain with a snowy-ish backside. Next Friday certainly has potential for some snow...

moresnow

Blow torch over- anyone skiing Saturday is certainly dedicated. Double-digit negative windchill values all day Saturday just to go out and ski fast groomers. Anyways, next Wednesdays rain storm looks like it'll be less rain with a snowy-ish backside. Next Friday certainly has potential for some snow...
Hi pig. You should meet my friend lipstick.

BenedictGomez

I guess I can't follow your logic. The base depths last year were lower than they are right now. It hardly snowed in March and Killington had a great April.
They'll light up Superstar and Skylelark with snowmaking in the coming weeks and I'm sure there will be plenty of good days in April as long as it's warm.

Different perceptions of what's great. To me great is the whole mountain, including the woods, for which you need snow in March. Heck, the woods already have taken a beating-and-a-half and March just started. And I'm not the WROD kind-of-a-guy, or one that will ski the 5 trails that were blown to hell all year to keep ops going, I just dont enjoy that. You'll find me trout fishing if it comes that that.

Blow torch over- anyone skiing Saturday is certainly dedicated. Double-digit negative windchill values all day Saturday just to go out and ski fast groomers.

On the positive side, I can drink Friday night, which I normally dont do if I have to get up early to ski the next morning, and I can sleep in and get on the hill at 10am'ish or so. Plus, I might get a lot more time in the hot tub on Saturday. Yeah, it's probably dumb of me to even bother going all the way up to n.VT, but we're getting to the point where if you dont go skiing, you'll be another year older when you do (as a wise man repeatedly says).

4aprice

Do you not enjoy skiing great moguls in April in 50 degree weather? That to me is the definition of great spring skiing in New England

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

50 degree weather would be awesome, however that is not is what is on the plate for this weekend. We get a 50 degree weekend with sun and I would ski it natural or man made. The pavement that will be the surface this weekend has no appeal to me. Probably would be in more of a panic mode if I didn't have western plans in the book. Doesn't help to be getting messages of fresh in Colorado from the boy. At least someone in family is getting some.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glenn

Crazy temp swings! Looks like the snow guns are firing up in SoVt. After looking at the webcams, the slopes need some resurfacing.

WJenness

I too am totally depressed by this weather.

And I too am in the camp of 'it can't be a great spring if it doesn't snow after March 1st'...

Skiing slush bumps in 50 degrees is a blast, no doubt, but too many fifty degree days at this point, and we'll be skiing mud and rock only by mid-April.

We'll see what happens, but I'm losing hope.

Savemeasammy

Different perceptions of what's great. To me great is the whole mountain, including the woods, for which you need snow in March. Heck, the woods already have taken a beating-and-a-half and March just started. And I'm not the WROD kind-of-a-guy, or one that will ski the 5 trails that were blown to hell all year to keep ops going, I just dont enjoy that. You'll find me trout fishing if it comes that that.

Different perceptions is exactly right. I will happily lap Superstar all April and May if that is all that is available - providing that the bumps are soft and it doesn't rain every weekend. Being able to ski the woods would be a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

NYDB

much agreement with this perspective. I'll lap groomers on wrod early season and be happy to be out and on the mountain, but right now I need everything in play to keep me entertained. I'm basically transitioning to cycling right now as far as mindset.

YMMV of course

SIKSKIER

From the glass half full perspective:Most big areas are making snow and even with the small window of a few days,there will be some real cold temps so snow production could be great.Its snowing right now in the whites and greens.Sometimes its amazing how good it can rebound in a few days.I actually have an optomistic outlook for this weekend.

WWF-VT

This isn't funny anymore. Yesterday it was in the mid 60's and we had a mid day rain shower here at Sugarbush. At 11:30 today we have had a dusting of snow with brutal winds and the current temperature is 17 degrees and dropping.

dlague

50 degree weather would be awesome, however that is not is what is on the plate for this weekend. We get a 50 degree weekend with sun and I would ski it natural or man made. The pavement that will be the surface this weekend has no appeal to me. Probably would be in more of a panic mode if I didn't have western plans in the book. Doesn't help to be getting messages of fresh in Colorado from the boy. At least someone in family is getting some.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

He is lying!

dlague

Different perceptions is exactly right. I will happily lap Superstar all April and May if that is all that is available - providing that the bumps are soft and it doesn't rain every weekend. Being able to ski the woods would be a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

much agreement with this perspective. I'll lap groomers on wrod early season and be happy to be out and on the mountain, but right now I need everything in play to keep me entertained. I'm basically transitioning to cycling right now as far as mindset.

YMMV of course

I find this all interesting! There are many on this forum that will ski to the last bell and I have met many at Killington throughout May and skied runs like Escapade, or Cascade after it had been pushed around to get one more weekend out of them. Or have skied SS after they have pushed snow around on that to patch up the crevasses that form and Skylark as well and while bumps always come back those runs in the spring were all still a whole lot of fun while the bumps were rebuilding IMO. Those who do not want to ski limited terrain more power to you, but many like being out there crappy or not. Take what the mountain gives you and enjoy!

cdskier

This isn't funny anymore. Yesterday it was in the mid 60's and we had a mid day rain shower here at Sugarbush. At 11:30 today we have had a dusting of snow with brutal winds and the current temperature is 17 degrees and dropping.

I agree. This is getting downright depressing. I was so excited for this season after all the great days in December too.

Domeskier

I find this all interesting! There are many on this forum that will ski to the last bell and I have met many at Killington throughout May and skied runs like Escapade, or Cascade after it had been pushed around to get one more weekend out of them. Or have skied SS after they have pushed snow around on that to patch up the crevasses that form and Skylark as well and while bumps always come back those runs in the spring were all still a whole lot of fun while the bumps were rebuilding IMO. Those who do not want to ski limited terrain more power to you, but many like being out there crappy or not. Take what the mountain gives you and enjoy!

Don't forget the black flies!