When is there too much snow?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

When is there too much snow?

I skied at Pico today and the snow was off the charts. Legit 30" of powder with big drifts. Blue trails were rendered useless unless you trekked it. The glades had hidden limbs everywhere. Knowing there wasn't much of a base in the trees you ski them differently than I would I am sure.....I am posing a question to the you guys that chase powder every storm. Is there a sweet spot for snow amounts? Most of you are way beyond my ski level and are laughing at this question, but curious what people think.

lol "too much snow"

Quote Originally Posted by tunagod View Post
    I skied at Pico today and the snow was off the charts. Legit 30" of powder with big drifts. Blue trails were rendered useless unless you trekked it. The glades had hidden limbs everywhere. Knowing there wasn't much of a base in the trees you ski them differently than I would I am sure.....I am posing a question to the you guys that chase powder every storm. Is there a sweet spot for snow amounts? Most of you are way beyond my ski level and are laughing at this question, but curious what people think.

LOL wtf? Time to get some different skis or try a new a new sport. Pico was nuts today. Intermediate trails especially because people who ski in jeans cannot ski powder and stuck to the groomed stuff. The woods were some of the best I've ever skied, except arounf the Outpost, and you could absolutely bomb down anything. Thigh to chest deep.
    Last edited by Tin; Mar 16, 2017 at 6:05 PM.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

did you see the pictures of Tahoe or Mammooth last month when they received 24 to 30 FEET of snow in February? They had to dig the lifts out, maybe that was too much , nah

i'm sad that i've needed to work all week. can't wait to get up this weekend and search out some leftovers in the woods.

lol ski in jeans exactly, correct on not having powder skis. Plenty of you are an incredible skier in all conditions no doubt. My guess is you don't ski with kids? You missed my question completely.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

i've been wondering what happened to tuna...

reincarnation?

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Never too much. This is blasphemy!

I ran into a 9 foot storm cycle in Tahoe about 9-10 years ago. It was too much for my group as all the lifts, and most of the roads were closed. Missed skiing 3 days, and had to divert to Heavenly over Kirkwood for another day, and had to walk a good distance to get there. Is it too much snow? No, but it can really f up a trip. The skiing was epic when the lifts finally turned, but you didn't want to be the first one on anything with a runout back to the chair.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Having the right equipment can make a huge difference. Wide powder skis will make it easier to float in deep powder, even on the flatter trails. A tighter ski stance will help too with your legs closer together.

As far as too much? It can happen, but if you are at a place like MRG where it is steep enough, that is a noter story.

Thread Information