Toddlers Ski Equipment - Advice - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Good to know! I'm hoping in a couple years Pats Peak is my local hill. Planning on a move to Concord/Hopkinton area. My daughter would be hopefully ready to start trying some skis not long after.
    Thanks for the warning.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Lease her equipment until she's 10 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    Agree 110%!!!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    Lease until she stops growing, esp boots. Get in with a good ski shop and pony up for the brand new lease equipment as opposed to new when she gets to early teens. Used equipment is more than adequate for them to learn on.

Toddlers Ski Equipment - Advice

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    Lease until she stops growing, esp boots. Get in with a good ski shop and pony up for the brand new lease equipment as opposed to new when she gets to early teens. Used equipment is more than adequate for them to learn on.
    Im sure leasing is the right choice for a lot of people, but buying new has worked out better for our family. If you have more than 1 child, it can definitely be the better way to go.

When my son was 2.5, I picked up some K2 Indy skis with bindings on sale during the summer for $120 and a pair of Roces adjustable boots for $80. I generally shop for kids ski equipment in the summer - there are always good deals to be had.

He got 2.5 seasons on the K2s before graduating to longer skis, at which point they went to his younger sister who also got 2 seasons out of them. We had the same progression with his next set - 2 seasons for my son and then 2 seasons for my daughter.

So were getting 4 seasons out of a pair of skis putting us at about $30 per season. Ill likely give the skis away / donate them when both kids have outgrown them, but if I was inclined to sell them, I could probably get, say, $60 for them, which would take the cost down to about $15 per season.

For the boots, they were a little big when my son first got them at age 2.5 (despite being the smallest size) and he just now is getting to the longest length of the adjustment range for them. I may need to replace them this year or he may get another year out of them, so 4 or 5 seasons total. Depending on when I replace them, the boots have cost me $16 or $20 per season.

So by buying new, my cost is a max of $50 per season, and could be as low as $31 per season if I choose to sell the skis and my son gets another year out of the boots. I guess you could add on a couple of bucks for poles now that hes using them, but its not much more.

Leasing is probably going to work better in some cases, but you should at least do the math on buying. Its worked out great for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
    I’m sure leasing is the right choice for a lot of people, but buying new has worked out better for our family. If you have more than 1 child, it can definitely be the better way to go.

When my son was 2.5, I picked up some K2 Indy skis with bindings on sale during the summer for $120 and a pair of Roces adjustable boots for $80. I generally shop for kids ski equipment in the summer - there are always good deals to be had.

He got 2.5 seasons on the K2s before graduating to longer skis, at which point they went to his younger sister who also got 2 seasons out of them. We had the same progression with his next set - 2 seasons for my son and then 2 seasons for my daughter.

So we’re getting 4 seasons out of a pair of skis putting us at about $30 per season. I’ll likely give the skis away / donate them when both kids have outgrown them, but if I was inclined to sell them, I could probably get, say, $60 for them, which would take the cost down to about $15 per season.

For the boots, they were a little big when my son first got them at age 2.5 (despite being the smallest size) and he just now is getting to the longest length of the adjustment range for them. I may need to replace them this year or he may get another year out of them, so 4 or 5 seasons total. Depending on when I replace them, the boots have cost me $16 or $20 per season.

So by buying new, my cost is a max of $50 per season, and could be as low as $31 per season if I choose to sell the skis and my son gets another year out of the boots. I guess you could add on a couple of bucks for poles now that he’s using them, but it’s not much more.

Leasing is probably going to work better in some cases, but you should at least do the math on buying. It’s worked out great for us.
    Well said---with 2 boys buying the gear instead of leasing is a no brainer...I've started doing exactly what you have done. The math doesn't work to lease if you have 2+
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

I use a 20 year old pair of rusty Snow Blades instead of skis. It allows me to maneuver around my kids. Better than my long skis. I think the blades are shorter than my son's skis.

Thread Information