All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Yeah, I've seen that too. I guess sponsors don't want to advertise their products with scuffed up tips and scratched top sheets.
    The times I've seen that, it was so the officials could check to certify the skis used in the competition met spec, they were taken from them while still in the finish area.

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    The times I've seen that, it was so the officials could check to certify the skis used in the competition met spec, they were taken from them while still in the finish area.
    Ah. That makes sense. I can't remember if I saw it in an event where ski specs come into play, but it definitely happened in the finish area just before some sports reporter stuck a microphone in the athlete's face.

Depends how serious you are about moguls vs. everything else. Virtually any other type of skiing you'd reap benefits going over ideal mogul ski length.

I would pick a middle ground of skis with a "rocker" shovel and tail (still cambered overall) with a low swing weight and maybe up to 90mm waist anyway. You might be able to get away with an all-mountain ski if it's "slippery" enough (even if it requires an adaptation on your part).

If the shovel and tail have a good lift, add at least 5cm, maybe 10cm to the "recommended" length (this might apply to a Kastle MX or Dynastar Sultan but newer skis have more gradual rise for flotation and maneuverability so thus longer total length for similar sidecut hold). So for you I'd say 180cm all mountain and consider mid/low 170s for moguls only.

Why? Because powder days happen and woods are like moguls but better. YMMV. I got the impression you are looking for 1 set of skis to use all the time but mogul biased. If you are looking for a dedicated mogul ski please ignore everything I've said.
    Last edited by bdfreetuna; Aug 22, 2018 at 3:16 PM.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

????

http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/d...an_English.pdf

Page 21 . For FIS There doesn't seem to be any length or width limitations on Freestyle skis ?
    " We're all in this together" ....Some more together than others .

they don't call it freestyle for nuthin
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Yeah, I've seen that too. I guess sponsors don't want to advertise their products with scuffed up tips and scratched top sheets.
    Also I think there skis are stiffer than consumer skis so they can better handle the high speeds.

Enlightening! Thanks everybody, I'll take any more length advice or experience folks want to throw in.
    wouldn't recommend anything less than 175cm
    not getting something to stiff in the tips
    I'm beginning to see this is why I've gravitated towards park skis, they're generally the softest tips rental shops carry.
    poles, I generally go with 105cm-107cm (i.e., 41-42 inches)
    Awesome. Thanks, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    It's a great read, especially for an aspiring bumper:
    Absolutely. I remember the first time I read it a few years ago. It was the first time mogul skiing made sense to me.
    At 5'11 (approximately 180cm), it would recommend a 177cm...I find I prefer the longer.
    That's a really helpful chart. Why do you like the longer? Better absorption? Faster?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    middle ground of skis with a "rocker" shovel and tail (still cambered overall) with a low swing weight and maybe up to 90mm waist anyway...If the shovel and tail have a good lift, add at least 5cm, maybe 10cm to the "recommended" length...180cm all mountain and consider mid/low 170s for moguls only
    Nope, you nailed it. That's some incredibly helpful input right there, I really appreciate it and it's the framework I'll be using in my ski search. I don't own any skis (never have) and I'm aiming for a one-ski quiver, but I still enjoy bumps more than anything else, so I can swallow a lot of compromise on other areas of the mountain. But I doubt I'll ever ski the bumps good enough to really use a dedicated mogul ski. But, I'm keeping my eye out for one on steep dirt cheap discount, just because I think it'd be fun to use every now and again. I really liked my day on my buddy's 4FRNT Originators in 181cm.

From the comments so far, sounds like anywhere between 170-177cm for a mogul ski, and 175-180 for an all mountain.

I'd also noticed at the last Olympics that most of the bump skis are about eye level, but hadn't realized there could be a difference between the skis used in the run and in front of the camera.
    Last edited by CS2-6; Aug 25, 2018 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    That's a really helpful chart. Why do you like the longer? Better absorption? Faster?
    Not sure. It might be the slightly longer edge, which is helpful in icy east coast bumps. I think a longer ski also lets you initiate the absorption phase of the turn a little earlier, which means you can start the extension phase closer to the top of the mogul's backside and control your speed a little better. Or maybe it's just because I first learned to ski bumps in the straight ski era and my style was adapted to longer skis. Or that the 182s are a better ski for me than the 175s not because of their length but for some other reason. I really haven't tried enough skis in various lengths to be opining with any authority about the costs or benefits of an additional 6 or 7cms. Maybe it matters at the margin when you're competing for tenths of a second on a 300 yard FIS course, but probably not for most of us.

control your speed a little better
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I also read the other day that pro freestyle skiers like shorter skis for maneuverability in the jumps but longer skis in for fore-aft stability the bumps. Might be something to that too.

But, since I've never been on 200cm boards in the first place (even though my youth was spent on straight skis), I'll never get going fast enough in the bumps to need fore-aft stability, I'll probably go for shorter. Although being able to begin the absorption phase a little earlier is appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I also read the other day that pro freestyle skiers like shorter skis for maneuverability in the jumps but longer skis in for fore-aft stability the bumps. Might be something to that too.
    Can definitely see how shorter skis are better for jumps, particularly with the things they are pulling these days. They're practically skiing on snow blades in freestyle aerials.

Thread Information