The "News of the Weird" Thread - Page 83

AlpineZone

Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 874
  1. #821
    Manatees must have vision problems
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post

  2. #822
    http://www.businessinsider.com/paren...y-teeth-2016-6

    The link to this article popped up on the daily morning update I get from the American Dental Association today!

    I'm just waiting, since I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time until I see the unintended side effects from an attempt gone wrong, until someone walks into my office with their 6 or 7yr old crying and a bunch of blood coming out of their mouth!!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

    '19 - '20 season:

    November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23 (Mount Southington)

  3. #823
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/paren...y-teeth-2016-6

    The link to this article popped up on the daily morning update I get from the American Dental Association today!

    I'm just waiting, since I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time until I see the unintended side effects from an attempt gone wrong, until someone walks into my office with their 6 or 7yr old crying and a bunch of blood coming out of their mouth!!
    Some of those small rotary wing UAVs have been known to decapitate people, that young fellow could lose more than his tooth.

    My wife and I bought a large portion of "irish roll butter" from an Amish store today near Madison, VA and that triggered a discussion about something weird in the news recently, 2000 year old Irish Bog Butter:


    Apparently, it is still edible, although more like very funky cheese. You New Englanders know about cranberry bogs, but bogs are a bit exotic for someone like myself from the south and are sort of like sub-Arctic swamps. Things that get discovered in them after being lost for a long time (like butter or corpses) tend to stay very well preserved due to the cool temps, low oxygen and high acid environment: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/...irish-bog.html

  4. #824
    Unfortunately, more tragic than weird. A grizzly bear killed a mountain biker in MT yesterday. The victim was law enforcement officer for US Forest Service. I wonder if he had a weapon or repellent spray of any kind?
    Link to story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/30...onal-park.html

  5. #825
    http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/0...issing-employe

    evered Foot Found At Eldora Does Not Belong To Missing Employee
    635
    SHARES
    This is skiing related to but figured it was better in this thread scary stuff.

  6. #826
    bigbog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bangor and the state's woodlands
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Unfortunately, more tragic than weird. A grizzly bear killed a mountain biker in MT yesterday. The victim was law enforcement officer for US Forest Service. I wonder if he had a weapon or repellent spray of any kind?
    Link to story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/30...onal-park.html
    Saw this..what these a-holes, on their bikes..did was they totally blew-off the consequences of sneeking up on a bear, by not making enough noise to make the bear aware...so now they're gonna hunt the bear down are shoot it. MAJOR fail on the officer's part. Recreational behavior in bear country 101...
    SteveD

  7. #827
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Saw this..what these a-holes, on their bikes..did was they totally blew-off the consequences of sneeking up on a bear, by not making enough noise to make the bear aware...so now they're gonna hunt the bear down are shoot it. MAJOR fail on the officer's part. Recreational behavior in bear country 101...
    I love how we have decided that an animal must die for doing something it instinctively does - kill! We are killing Gorillas held in captivity because some parent lost track of their kid, we kill mountain lions that attack people, alligators that attacked a kid now a bear is being hunted! Where does it stop? These are wild animals, this is what they do! I think we need to start having training programs for the wild in order for them to get in line with humans.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  8. #828
    I think I read that they called off the hunt. Not surprising a bear would react violently when hit by a mountain biker.
    form is a 4 letter word

  9. #829
    I think I've told this story here before, so stop reading if I did. When I was working a bird research project in Arizona (Apache Sitgreaves NF) last century, a couple of us were talking to a Ranger about local bears, most of whom were well known, personally, to the Rangers. One, in particular, is a known asshole (he charged me twice, the bastard). Anyway, he told us about a guy they had working with them for a while who was a bear specialist, specifically at capturing "nuisance" bears and relocating them. He had a phenomenal success rate, and actually transferred around, and was called in for cases. Unfortunately, the local PETA patrol found out what his methods were, and put an end to his success. Basically, he would capture the bear, take it out into the woods where they were relocating it, tie it to a tree, and beat the snot out of it. Not to cause damage, nothing lasting or anything, but enough to re-instill a healthy fear of humans in the bear. Because that's what causes a nuisance bear to be a nuisance- people leave food, garbage, whatever out, bears find it, like the snacks, and decide these squishy pink things aren't so bad, and forget they're supposed to be scared of us.



    Since the guy got canned for being inhumane, now they just shoot the bears. Because that's better.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

  10. #830
    Scruffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In the shadow of the moon.
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    I think I've told this story here before, so stop reading if I did. When I was working a bird research project in Arizona (Apache Sitgreaves NF) last century, a couple of us were talking to a Ranger about local bears, most of whom were well known, personally, to the Rangers. One, in particular, is a known asshole (he charged me twice, the bastard). Anyway, he told us about a guy they had working with them for a while who was a bear specialist, specifically at capturing "nuisance" bears and relocating them. He had a phenomenal success rate, and actually transferred around, and was called in for cases. Unfortunately, the local PETA patrol found out what his methods were, and put an end to his success. Basically, he would capture the bear, take it out into the woods where they were relocating it, tie it to a tree, and beat the snot out of it. Not to cause damage, nothing lasting or anything, but enough to re-instill a healthy fear of humans in the bear. Because that's what causes a nuisance bear to be a nuisance- people leave food, garbage, whatever out, bears find it, like the snacks, and decide these squishy pink things aren't so bad, and forget they're supposed to be scared of us.

    Since the guy got canned for being inhumane, now they just shoot the bears. Because that's better.

    Spare the rod, spoil the Ursidae.

    This falls under, "No good deed goes unpunished!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.