• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter A-Frame

fdskier56

Pretty sure that is a BS story to generate buzz to try and sell that overpriced house.

Absolutely not. Was one of the most popular bars back in late 60s /early 70s.
Slutzky’s arch enemies lol.

Guys would put Wanderlust stickers on big windows at hunter’s lodge bar.
They had their own torchlight parade with road flares.

How do I know?
My mom bartender at the wanderlust.
And my dad was banned for life from hunter. Atleast once a winter...

Funky_Catskills

100% true was a bar a long time ago..
In my time it was the Triple A-Frame or AAAFrame for a looong time.. We used to rage the F out of that place every New Years - there's still a tight crew of people that were part of that whole scene - 180 knows... :)

I almost bought it - was a bit pricey..

Remember what? LOL

100% true was a bar a long time ago..
In my time it was the Triple A-Frame or AAAFrame for a looong time.. We used to rage the F out of that place every New Years - there's still a tight crew of people that were part of that whole scene - 180 knows... :)

I almost bought it - was a bit pricey..

mbedle

Absolutely not. Was one of the most popular bars back in late 60s /early 70s.
Slutzky’s arch enemies lol.

Guys would put Wanderlust stickers on big windows at hunter’s lodge bar.
They had their own torchlight parade with road flares.

How do I know?
My mom bartender at the wanderlust.
And my dad was banned for life from hunter. Atleast once a winter...

So when you say a bar, are you talking an unofficial bar or an actual business with a parking lot, sign out front, etc. It seems like an odd place to have a bar in a residential neighborhood

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Funky_Catskills

So when you say a bar, are you talking an unofficial bar or an actual business with a parking lot, sign out front, etc. It seems like an odd place to have a bar in a residential neighborhood

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

People knew about it... People walked to it.. It was a thing..

Back in those days things just happened and people didn't get all upset about stuff. There was more fun and shenanigans back then. People knew how to party. And weren't all stuffy about it..
There was ski house races and parties - people skied all day a drank all night.
Hunter got it's reputation from these times.. Now everyone is old and the bars are closed... It's so sad.

benski

People knew about it... People walked to it.. It was a thing..

Back in those days things just happened and people didn't get all upset about stuff. There was more fun and shenanigans back then. People knew how to party. And weren't all stuffy about it..
There was ski house races and parties - people skied all day a drank all night.
Hunter got it's reputation from these times.. Now everyone is old and the bars are closed... It's so sad.

People don’t get waisted at Hunter? I felt like a lot of people were skiing waisted there when I was there 2 years ago.

Funky_Catskills

People don’t get waisted at Hunter? I felt like a lot of people were skiing waisted there when I was there 2 years ago.

I mean - yeah people have been putting on the pounds and their waist is getting larger - so some people are waisted..

Funky_Catskills

For real - people now have no idea how much ski areas threw down back in the day. Now people complain about the partying - everyone is so stiff. Do people still party? - SURE. But do they throw down - old school - all night.. Not really..

deadheadskier

Staff member
For real - people now have no idea how much ski areas threw down back in the day. Now people complain about the partying - everyone is so stiff. Do people still party? - SURE. But do they throw down - old school - all night.. Not really..
Heck, even up tight Stowe used to go hard back in the day. There were a couple of out of the way bars in town that would stay open until 3-4AM when the law was 2AM. Even the mountain was laid back. There was a locals party every spring called the End of Prohibition Party. They'd close the Chin Clip trail off, but if you ducked the rope, half way down you'd find a dozen kegs of Shed Mountain Ale a few hundred locals partying.

Those days are long gone.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Funky_Catskills

Heck, even up tight Stowe used to go hard back in the day. There were a couple of out of the way bars in town that would stay open until 3-4AM when the law was 2AM. Even the mountain was laid back. There was a locals party every spring called the End of Prohibition Party. They'd close the Chin Clip trail off, but if you ducked the rope, half way down you'd find a dozen kegs of Shed Mountain Ale a few hundred locals partying.

Shame.. Sounds like a great party!!!

Glad to catch the tail end of that era. I watched all the bars burn down in Hunter. But some are coming back!!

benski

Wasn't that only canceled like 2 years ago when Vail took over.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wasn't that only canceled like 2 years ago when Vail took over.
2004 was the last year. A ski bum buddy of mine, Dave ran it from 95-2004. Mountain eventually pulled the plug. It essentially coincided with Spruce peak redevelopment beginning as they wanted to make their image more family friendly.