Sugarbush Newbie - Here Now!

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1

    Sugarbush Newbie - Here Now!

    Just arrived. Have a slope side (sort of?) condo. We have passes for Friday and Saturday. Thinking SB Friday and Mt. Ellen, Saturday.

    Tips, suggestions and must dos, welcome. I am an intermediate snowboarder, partner is expert snowboarder.

    Lots of snow up here..phew..

  2. #2
    What does "sort of" slope side mean? Which complex are you in?

    I think Lincoln Peak Friday and Mt Ellen Saturday is a good play.

    For Intermediate...Jester is a classic winding run from the top of Lincoln Peak. The entire Gate House side is good (Sleeper and also Birch Run up on North Lynx). If you want to challenge yourself a little on some ungroomed terrain...Moonshine off of Snowball should be pretty good (all natural trail, but was groomed flat a little over a week ago so should just be starting to bump back up). Lower Domino (accessed via Heaven's Gate Traverse) is another intermediate natural trail that is fun.

    At Mt Ellen...Walt's is one of the most fun green trails I've ever skied. Semi-Tough next to it is fun too although will certainly be bumped up a bit. Rim Run, Elbow, Cruiser, and Which Way are all fun blue cruisers.

    Expert...well...pretty much just check out everything. At Mt Ellen the natural black diamond trails are a blast (Exterminator, Bravo, Hammerhead, Tumbler, Black Diamond). I personally love Lower FIS too, although it does have a long flat runout at the bottom (and there are warning signs about this at the entrance to the trail).

    At Lincoln Peak an expert should definitely take some runs on Castlerock for great all natural, ungroomed terrain.

    If your partner likes glades...well...there are tons on map and all should be skiing well right now I would think with the recent snow. Depth and coverage last weekend was pretty good before the new snow this week.

  3. #3
    Mt. Ellens crowds are not a problem on Saturday so you should dodge the bullet with the crowds. CD Skier's advice is very good. Semi-tough is a great easy bump run. Probably the easiest place you will find. The Slide Brook lift is a cool ride.

    Also for Restaurants, the Lawson brewery is a cool place to hang out after skiing but before 7pm. American Flatbread is the coolest restaurant and top rated on Yelp. I am also a fan of the Mad Taco. The only restaurant I would avoid is Rumbles Kitchen when not skiing, and the Pitcher inn (New management). Also Fit to be Thai'd's food offers make your food insanely spicy, so don't let them add much spice.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Also for Restaurants, the Lawson brewery is a cool place to hang out after skiing but before 7pm. American Flatbread is the coolest restaurant and top rated on Yelp. I am also a fan of the Mad Taco. The only restaurant I would avoid is Rumbles Kitchen when not skiing, and the Pitcher inn (New management). Also Fit to be Thai'd's food offers make your food insanely spicy, so don't let them add much spice.
    I know someone that orders spice level 5 at Fit 2 Be Thai'd and still asks for extra spice on the side! (Not me...I usually go with a 2 or 3 depending on my mood). The interesting thing with spice is that it can vary greatly from time to time simply due to the spices themselves. I've had 2's that could've been 4's at other times and I've had 3's that tasted like 1's. Fit 2 Be Thai'd is probably the best value in the area though and a great change of pace for something different.

    For another restaurant recommendation...I'll always recommend Peasant (although reservations highly recommended there on weekends).

    For a more casual restaurant, I like Mad River Barn or Hyde-Away.

  5. #5
    Had a good meal and beer at Worthy Burger last time I was up. Dining in the MRV is very hidden compared to most ski towns.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

    2019-20 days - 17
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14
    Sugarloaf 2/23, 2/24, 2/25

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I know someone that orders spice level 5 at Fit 2 Be Thai'd and still asks for extra spice on the side! (Not me...I usually go with a 2 or 3 depending on my mood). The interesting thing with spice is that it can vary greatly from time to time simply due to the spices themselves. I've had 2's that could've been 4's at other times and I've had 3's that tasted like 1's. Fit 2 Be Thai'd is probably the best value in the area though and a great change of pace for something different.

    For another restaurant recommendation...I'll always recommend Peasant (although reservations highly recommended there on weekends).
    .
    Does your friend who orders 5s at Fit to be Thai’d have tasting problems or something. I don’t think I have ever been to Peasant.

  7. #7
    Thanks all...we did the Mad Marathon and LOVED Waitsfield/Warren. Mad Taco was good but disgustingly dirty (loo smelled like and outhouse)...will try some of these finds. We are staying Snowside Condos, I think, on Mountainside Road? Number 205. We are looking out and can see trails but there condos in front of us. Reks was around the corner. We arrived at night so are not oriented at all.

    I love glades, am a newbie....a little scared of tree well death ....will hit Lincoln Peak based on recs and tomorrow, ME. Do folks take that lift from SB to ME and is it really two miles? How long does it take?



    Where is the BEST coffee and bakery? We will hit Carrier in Northfield on our way home. It is amazing.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Does your friend who orders 5s at Fit to be Thai’d have tasting problems or something. I don’t think I have ever been to Peasant.
    No, he just loves spice.

    Quote Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
    I love glades, am a newbie....a little scared of tree well death ....will hit Lincoln Peak based on recs and tomorrow, ME. Do folks take that lift from SB to ME and is it really two miles? How long does it take?

    Where is the BEST coffee and bakery?
    For some easier more open glades, Eden off of Lower Snowball and Spring Fling is a good option. Deeper Sleeper off of the Gatehouse side is considered easier as well.

    That lift really is two miles and takes a little over 10 minutes, although today it will be too cold to open as they only run it when temps along the entire length are over a certain temp (maybe over 5 the whole way?). On days that it does open, it runs from 10-3.

    I'm not a coffee expert so can't comment much there...but in terms of baked goods both Sweet Spot in Waitsfield and the Warren Store in Warren have good stuff.

  9. #9
    TY CD, so if the lift to ME is not open, how does one get there, walk/shuttle?

    TY all..dressed and ready to go..FIRST TRACKS

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
    TY CD, so if the lift to ME is not open, how does one get there, walk/shuttle?

    TY all..dressed and ready to go..FIRST TRACKS
    Shuttles run between the Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen base areas every 20 minutes I think it is. Personally I usually drive over to ME if I want to start my day there. Walking is not recommended unless you like a really long walk (it is close to a 10 minute drive going ~40MPH).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:45 AM.