Jay Peak glades

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Jay Peak glades

  1. #1

    Jay Peak glades

    Heading up to Jay for the first time. Want to try some of their famous glades but I don’t enjoy really tight glades, just the opposite in fact. A wide run with a few clumps of trees here and there. I checked out a few YouTube videos and “Kokomo” looks promising. Any others like that? Reasonably steep is OK. BTW, is the opposite of “tight glades” called “loose glades”? “wide glades”?

    Speaking of “unreasonably steep” Face Chutes and Tuckermans Chute look pretty challenging. But not given double black rating to make them stand out. Any other (not gladed) black diamond trails that the first timer should be wary of ?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Heading up to Jay for the first time. Want to try some of their famous glades but I don’t enjoy really tight glades, just the opposite in fact. A wide run with a few clumps of trees here and there. I checked out a few YouTube videos and “Kokomo” looks promising. Any others like that? Reasonably steep is OK. BTW, is the opposite of “tight glades” called “loose glades”? “wide glades”?



    Speaking of “unreasonably steep” Face Chutes and Tuckermans Chute look pretty challenging. But not given double black rating to make them stand out. Any other (not gladed) black diamond trails that the first timer should be wary of ?
    Andre's Paradise, Bearver Pond, Timbuktu

    Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  3. #3
    Second the Beaver Pond glades area. Not too tight and steep enough to be fun!

    Kokomo is VERY wide open, not really a glade in my opinion, just some tree areas. Still fun, but also very flat.

    Jay is great! Enjoy.

  4. #4
    Bushwacker
    Show Off or Bonaventure
    Timbuktoo
    Canyonland
    Beaver Pond Glades / Andres Paradise

    For a beginner tree skier, I listed these in the order you should attempt them for a reason(s). FYI, Kokomo is not a glade, but a trail with some trees on it.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    FYI, Kokomo is not a glade, but a trail with some trees on it.
    Exactly the type of trail I am interested in. But FYI Kokomo is listed as a glade on the official snow report, and also depicted as such on the official trail map.

    Thanks for the responses everyone!

  6. #6
    Kleetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Baldwinsville, Ny
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Exactly the type of trail I am interested in. But FYI Kokomo is listed as a glade on the official snow report, and also depicted as such on the official trail map.

    Thanks for the responses everyone!
    I echo Andre's Paradise/Beaver Pond. Great open trees.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

  7. #7
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    6,854
    Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Exactly the type of trail I am interested in. But FYI Kokomo is listed as a glade on the official snow report, and also depicted as such on the official trail map.

    Thanks for the responses everyone!
    It will disappoint. It is a flat trail with banks of trees in the middle. It is used as a traverse that runs at the bottom of the northern trails to get you back to the lifts.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Exactly the type of trail I am interested in. But FYI Kokomo is listed as a glade on the official snow report, and also depicted as such on the official trail map.
    If that is the level you are at, then disregard everything that has been suggested to you in this thread (including by me) and start with Kokomo, then go to quarter moon, half moon, full moon, and if you're okay with that move onto Bushwacker. Only after conquering Bushwacker should u move onto any of the black rated woods on Jay's map.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleetus View Post
    I echo Andre's Paradise/Beaver Pond. Great open trees.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app
    If Kokomo is the type of thing he's looking for, he should not venture into Beaver Pond Glades. Tree skiing should be taken slow.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Exactly the type of trail I am interested in. But FYI Kokomo is listed as a glade on the official snow report, and also depicted as such on the official trail map.

    Thanks for the responses everyone!
    Kokomo is flat run out. not a glade at all.

    Half and full moon might be better.

    beaver pond is generally well spaced and not steep.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:53 AM.