Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 13

AlpineZone

Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    I'm stuck with mixed feelings here. One the one hand, I've got a strong personal antipathy towards mega-corporations in general (but especially a couple mega-corporations gobbling up the entire ski industry), which isn't just ideological but also practical (I think I'd follow BenedictGomez's analysis of how this business story tends to play out.) On the other hand; being a seasonal employee of a Peaks mountain, I may have just traded my Peaks pass for an Epic, assuming everything's ceteris paribus. That feels like a nice win (I've barely skied out west, never in CO or CA) as long as I can find the time and $ to get out there.

We shall see.

Last edited by So Inclined; Jul 23, 2019 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Not happening; that runs counter to their business strategy.

Definitely. I'm not buying one of these gigantor passes, so all it does it make me likely to ski Plattekill, Magic, Smuggs, and to a lesser extent Jay Peak even more than I already do, as opposed to paying $150 for single day tickets. The question is, however, do these people gained replace the business they'll lose now to further increased EPIC sales.

I've already penciled-in Alterra as the future owner of Jay Peak, and Jay Peak being "IKONic" will make me sad. Not as sad as Smuggler's Notch being "EPIC" mind you, but still pretty sad.
    Vail actually does offer a local Tahoe pass, which is cheaper than the epic local.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Me three.

Always seemed to me Platty would surpass in volume what they do in price if they lowered it. The price makes no sense to me.
    Yea, I love Platty but don't understand their pass price at all. I can get a NY3 pass (with holiday blackouts) for less than Platty. Although Platty does look like an absolute bargain compared to Windham. I just looked them up and they are over $1300! Now that is insane and has to put them near the top of the Northeast in general. You could pretty much buy an Epic Local and a NY3 pass (the holiday blackout version) and get to ski both Hunter and Belleayre (and a ton of other places) for about the same as Windham alone!

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Lots of businesses go unsold if they are money losing propositions. There is no "right price" for something that loses money and has no hope of turning a profit.
    Who knows, maybe Vail ends up with it and NOT Jay... wouldn't that be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    As much as I love Killington, driving 2.75 hours to Mount Snow to ski 1,600ft top-to-bottom is much better than 3.25 hours to K to do the gondola-hike-500ft ski-hike out with the early season North Ridge operation.

I'll get 20+ days at Killington/Pico and around 5 days at Sugarbush and Magic. I sure miss the variety. Before all this BS I'd pay $50-$60 just to "switch things up" for a daytrip or weekend but I'm not paying $100 simply to add variety.
    I agree to a point with early season. T 2 B at Snow early season is the best reason for me to go there now that K pampers the whole World Cup thing. They got lucky at K last season with the early snow that opened everything up in November, not counting on that this season. I am also 2:45 Snow and 3:15 to K and always go the extra :45 otherwise.
    But fewer $50-60 tix makes skiing off pass stupid for me.

Glad ORDA stayed out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Yea, I love Platty but don't understand their pass price at all. I can get a NY3 pass (with holiday blackouts) for less than Platty. Although Platty does look like an absolute bargain compared to Windham. I just looked them up and they are over $1300! Now that is insane and has to put them near the top of the Northeast in general. You could pretty much buy an Epic Local and a NY3 pass (the holiday blackout version) and get to ski both Hunter and Belleayre (and a ton of other places) for about the same as Windham alone!
    K pass $1005 with taxes and fees.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    K pass $1005 with taxes and fees.
    And the crazy thing is, that if K has another season length like last years, there will be some K passholders who get their cost per day down to about $5!!

The "perfect attendance" passholder crowd at K are some folks who pull of an IMPRESSIVE feat each year!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

From my read of the FAQ's, the upgrade cost from Peak Pass to Epic pass would be the difference from what you paid for the Peak Pass at time of purchase, and the cost of Epic at closing of the transaction. So if I purchased my Peak Explorer pass on the early buy date for $629, and Epic pass holds at current amount of $939, it's a $310 upgrade. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by njdiver85 View Post
    From my read of the FAQ's, the upgrade cost from Peak Pass to Epic pass would be the difference from what you paid for the Peak Pass at time of purchase, and the cost of Epic at closing of the transaction. So if I purchased my Peak Explorer pass on the early buy date for $629, and Epic pass holds at current amount of $939, it's a $310 upgrade. Is that correct?
    Sounds right from what I've read as well...

Quote Originally Posted by njdiver85 View Post
    Sounds correct.

I was going to ask what the Peak early season rate was this year. Wonder if that price of $629 will hold in 20-21.

Thread Information