How about something different - Page 43

AlpineZone

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I'm guessing those $300,000 motorcoach based RV's have those types of amenities. Onboard heat/AC, environmentally protected plumbing, onboard solar power generation, etc.

I will also guess the limiting factor for RVing is finding a place to park it.
    There is always the skyeship base parking lot at Killington. You always see one or two parked there.

I'm guessing those $300,000 motorcoach based RV's have those types of amenities. Onboard heat/AC, environmentally protected plumbing, onboard solar power generation, etc.

I will also guess the limiting factor for RVing is finding a place to park it.
    You can get a decent Class A RV used with 25,000'ish miles for $60k - $100k. I'm surprised more people & small families dont do this for weekend skiing.

The advantage it has over buying a $60-$100k condo is you're not tied to the same ski resort, which seems like a pretty huge advantage. I guess the disadvantages are not everyone gets their own room, and space. But if it's only used Friday night to Sunday night during winter & maybe a few summer trips, I wouldn't think those big negatives.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    You can get a decent Class A RV used with 25,000'ish miles for $60k - $100k. I'm surprised more people & small families dont do this for weekend skiing.

The advantage it has over buying a $60-$100k condo is you're not tied to the same ski resort, which seems like a pretty huge advantage. I guess the disadvantages are not everyone gets their own room, and space. But if it's only used Friday night to Sunday night during winter & maybe a few summer trips, I wouldn't think those big negatives.
    Would mostly be for my wife and I so space not a real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    There is always the skyeship base parking lot at Killington. You always see one or two parked there.
    That is some good info.

That is some good info.
    Just make sure you park in the lot across the street, I could see parking in the smaller lots by the lodge pissing people off.

My old neighbors were rather anal retentive. They had a simple pop up camper , a week before their vacation they would air it out and start cleaning. They would go away for a week return and air it out and start cleaning again.

If you’re retired it makes sense to me or if you have a garage to store it in . But maybe look at a rental for short periods ? I have to imagine they depreciate significantly. I like the idea of RVing but could never convince my wife.
    " We're all in this together" ....Some more together than others .

My wife and I would like to get a small T@B when the boys are out of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Would mostly be for my wife and I so space not a real issue.
    I think a husband & wife (no kids or kids are out of the nest) is the perfect situation for that. Yet you really never see it at ski resorts. There must be something I'm missing. Why do we see tons of these class A luxury campers at every summer & fall vacation location, but not at winter locations?

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post

If you’re retired it makes sense to me or if you have a garage to store it in . But maybe look at a rental for short periods ? I have to imagine they depreciate significantly. I like the idea of RVing but could never convince my wife.
    Big time. I would never consider buying one new, but obviously plenty of people do.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Im not an RV guy but I admire it from afar. I dont know about doing it in winter weather. It boxes you in, especially at night. Part of the RV appeal is spending time outdoors.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

I'd imagine the reasons you don't see many RVs in winter are

lack of utility hookups where you wish to travel

Likely poor performance in snow

Desire to protect the investment. Having the frame rust out from salt exposure on a $40k SUV is one thing. Having it happen to an RV that costs multiple times as much is a different story

Would be cool, but just not very practical for most skiers. I'd rather own a second home in ski country or go with a seasonal rental

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information