• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush rant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
I found it disrespectful, and I am not a practicing Catholic. There are plenty of other mountains that will gladly take my money.

If you're not practicing, what's the big deal? You're honestly not going to ski a rad mountain like Sugarbush because of this? A bit of an overreation, IMHO...

2knees

You're honestly not going to ski a rad mountain like Sugarbush because of this? A bit of an overreation, IMHO...

i dont care if the owner of sugarbush slept with my wife, i'd still ski there its so damn good. :lol:

Win... don't get any ideas!

Really, YardSaleDad, it may have been slightly inappropriate, but that's no reason not to ski at the Bush. Seriously. There are much bigger things to worry about, like finding the best skiing. And that's what you'll find at Sugarbush (no, I'm not employed in marketing for the Bush, even if I sound like it :wink: ). Looks like the Bush will get over a foot of snow out of Thursday night through Friday evening. Forget about the email, get skip work, come ski at the Bush. You won't regret it.

Birdman829

I went to a Catholic high school and wasn't offended. I still think it was a dumb move on their part because it could be viewed as offensive.

snowmonster

Well, it's the Augustinians involved, what do you expect...If it were the Jesuits, it would be a different story. Ha Ha

Anyway, pretty strange way to let you know that the snow in the mountain was great. Somebody got carried away at the keyboard. Circuitous way to get to "good things come to those who wait."

Odd snow report. Reveals more about the author than it should. But no offense taken by me -- Catholic school alum and proud of it!

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Just to clear up the question about who got it and why: that email was one of the infrequent general reports from J.J. Toland, not the daily snow report - different thing all together, you have to sign up for it on Sugarbush.com separate from just the snow report.

And really, to the offended people, lighten up a tad. The point of the reports is to make the employees seem less like worker drones and more like real people like the rest of us... was the religious rant a bit far? Maybe, but there's no need to get out of shape about it... even if Toland was out of line, it's absolutely no grounds not to go back to Sugarbush... you could have a run-in with a mean liftie or cafeteria employee or something, but you'd still go back... it's just one employee, even one in a higher-up position...

awf170

All I know is the traverse on top of Castlerock over to Middle Earth can truly be a religious experience:

Time to bring up my Sugarbush picture I almost forgot about:

P1010019.jpg

I love Castlerock.

Lostone

I don't find it offensive in the least, but wonder how he put it in, as there are some people who find... everything to do with their religion offensive.

Compared to what I've heard many who had gone to Catholic school (Including my mother.) say, I thought his comments about it were pretty mild.

Greg

Staff member
there are some people who find... everything to do with their religion offensive.

there are some people who find... everything to do with just about anything offensive.

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
JJ is one of the great guys on our team. This was not one of his best posts, and I told him so. In no way did he mean to offend anyone, and we both apoligize for offending anyone. In his enthusiam for our great conditions, he was trying to personalize his own feeling about the tough start to the season and the incredible skiing and riding that we are now experiencing. Cut him some slack! He is a great guy, a committed employee and has done a very good job for us, and he did not intend to offend anyone. We all make mistakes and are better people because of them.

PS: It does look like the snow is coming and it should be a great weekend!

BeanoNYC

I don't think many are offended, Win. No slack needed on my part. We're just filling in the time until we can ski again. Give JJ a great big hug for us.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I can see how one would be offended. I would have told my marketing guy not to say something like that. Best to be neutral.

random_ski_guy

while the commentary is mild, i can see why some would be offended by it. i think a lot of catholics are tired of listening to other catholics and non-catholics whine/gripe/joke/belittle catholic schools and the faith in general. its enough having to hear the same old catholic jokes on late night tv, now a pr communiqué has more of the same? and i think those who find it offensive maybe bothered by how weakly he tied it in to the st valentine days storm. so much of the rant (in jest) seems completely gratuitous... a cheap shot (to some)....which is surprising when it comes from a pr director.

anywho, don't let this keep you from skiing sugarbush. its still a superb mtn run by great people. we're not all perfect all the time.

PS - i wrote this before Win responded above.

Last edited:
Went to catholic school for 14yrs....had nuns & bros...(sisters of Notre Dame & Xavarian Bros.) Wasn't offended...other than the fact that it wasn't funny or inspiring. Just took to damn long to get to the point.

I personally don't know him. I'll cut him some slack. If he worked for me....I'd still cut him some slack. If he was my communications guru....OUCH!

Tin Woodsman

I got the snow report you did this morning, along with the above e-mail . If you want a full copy of it go here:

http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1100356732958&ea=tgalvin@dataforge.com&a=1101560523086

I found it disrespectful, and I am not a practicing Catholic. There are plenty of other mountains that will gladly take my money.
You need to take off the panties. Seriously.

It may have been verbose and rambling, but offensive? Wow. Talk about thin skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.